Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2014, 03:34 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post

No it doesn't...the only thing you have to worry in hot weather is skin protection and drinking water adequately (same for living in an extreme cold environment)
How about heat stroke?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 03:34 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

It's also easier to escape the cold with basic know-how (making a fire) inside a shelter than escaping extreme heat in a shelter - you can't really cool an indoor space without electricity.

You can also dress more and more warmly by putting on additional layers but if it's super hot once you're completely naked you can't take much more off to cool off. And if there's no cool water around to jump into... well...
All you need to keep cool is water.....water is like wood to burn in extreme cold.....and by the way, dehydration can be a problem in both cases (extreme cold and extreme heat)

I grew up in a place that could get very hot in summer (peak of 40+ C) and, in addition to that, very humid.....never had air conditioning home.....I survived just fine.

You want really unbearable heat?? Thailand and pretty much all south east Asia, way worse than Australia (humidity at crazy levels)...millions of people live there and did so for centuries and centuries....

Old 12-01-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
We totally get that you personally prefer extreme heat to extreme cold. But both are potentially lethal (and also unpleasant) to fairly comparable degrees.
Is not a matter of preference (I do not like extremes of any kind) ..it is just a fact that extreme heat environment is more bearable.....

Ask yourself why Las Vegas, Palm Springs (places built in the middle of the desert) or Alice Springs are tourist destination while Yellowknife is not??

Quote:
How about heat stroke?
Hat, water and a shadowy place...

Old 12-01-2014, 03:45 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
40-45 are only extremes, on average, summer is below 40.....and yes, a stroll like that can be quite pleasant especially with very low humidity (typical of the interior part of Australia).....it beats a walk at minus 20.
So are -30C in Calgary the extremes. If we are not even talking about the same thing, what's the point?

Quote:
An old lady was growing water melons and tomatoes in a patch near Alice Springs.....having adequate supply of water....try to do that in Churchill....
Get me a greenhouse and I'll grow tomatoes in Churchill.

Quote:
.Ask yourself why Las Vegas, Palm Springs (places built in the middle of the desert) or Alice Springs are tourist destination while Yellowknife is not??
Palm Springs averages 42C highs in July. Put old grandma sitting in the sun for a couple of hours and she's a corpse.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:49 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,862,870 times
Quote:
Sure you can keep your house warm......what about ice and snow on the streets driving and general challenges to any kind of transportation?? Want to go for a nice walk?? Shorts, t-shirt, a hat, sun protection and a nice bottle of water beats being wrapped in several layers of clothing by a mile...extremely cold weather presents challenges to health...lack of adequate sunshine in winter...what about farming?? Livestock?? Please be realistic....
I agree 100% with everything you are saying, but it is a fool's errand to debate this topic with people from Finland and Canada, both among the very coldest places on earth with a population of any significance. I have my doubts that the average world citizen would even consider living in Canada after actually experiencing for themselves the true harshness of the climate, but when it comes to people already from the coldest parts of the world it is just what they are accustomed to.

The true test of what people prefer is to look where people go just to enjoy the weather. I've never heard of anyone going to experience a snowy -3 C Canada in March just to get away from a sunny 25 degrees C. In Canada we can look at a place like Vancouver that attracts people just for it's weather (and let's be honest, it is very poor weather), and we can also point out the fact that people in Canada (as well as Scandinavia) cling to the extreme south of the country. If it wasn't for the weather, people could live in the middle of Canada much like people live in Arizona. But instead, we see a situation where the middle of Canada is more or less unpopulated, despite technological advances, and even great financial incentives (oil, timer, etc). If these frigid arctic climes were so easy to deal with, then Canada would easily have a population of 300 million.

The fact of the matter is that these cold climates like all of Canada (yes, Toronto, yes Montreal) are simply not what human beings are made to live in. Humans are designed to live in something like the climate of Sydney, not anywhere in Canada. It isn't a matter of preference, it's a matter of biology. We don't get enough vitamin D in places like Canada, and many people develop seasonal depression and/or make the best of what they can get. As an example - Acajack pointed out people swimming in Canada, and I myself have seen enough times Canadians swimming when the water is freezing and temperatures are only 20C or so, but they are just taking what they can get. The water in Canada is very cold all year round, just like where I am now hundreds of miles to the south it is still cold all year round. Like plants other animals, we need sunlight to survive, and no matter how much money or power you have you can't buy the sun. Sun is something that these otherwise desolate desert climates have that Canada doesn't, and because of the sun these desert climates will be easier to tame with technology than say, Nunavut.

We can reroute water to remote areas, we can ship food, but we can't move the sun.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:55 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,862,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

Palm Springs averages 42C highs in July. Put old grandma sitting in the sun for a couple of hours and she's a corpse.
How come so many more people live in Palm Springs and it's environs compared to Churchill and it's environs? How come so many more people live in the Phoenix MSA than in Murmansk? How come more people live in Florida than all of Scandinavia? Go to Canada and almost everyone lives right on the US border, despite having a vast country. Why is this?

People need sunlight. Greenhouses and the like are great inventions, but until we find a way to give these places natural sunlight, human will instinctively stay away. There are virtually no population centers that don't reach ~20C at least for the very middle of summer, and it's no coincidence.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
So are -30C in Calgary the extremes. If we are not even talking about the same thing, what's the point?
Calgary is located in what is considered the livable area of Canada...and it's already unlivable for a lot of people...so you do the math...

Quote:
Sure...do not forget lamps...and how big your green house needs to be to supply a reasonable community??

Quote:
That is average high...however, it's interesting that Palm Springs is full of granmas and granpas strolling in the sunshine and a very desirable locales for senior folks to relocate ....funny isn't it?? Ever been there??

Old 12-01-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
How come so many more people live in Palm Springs and it's environs compared to Churchill and it's environs? How come so many more people live in the Phoenix MSA than in Murmansk? How come more people live in Florida than all of Scandinavia? Go to Canada and almost everyone lives right on the US border, despite having a vast country. Why is this?

People need sunlight. Greenhouses and the like are great inventions, but until we find a way to give these places natural sunlight, human will instinctively stay away. There are virtually no population centers that don't reach ~20C at least for the very middle of summer, and it's no coincidence.

I think it's a waste of time when you do not deal with rationality.

Ask him the meaning of the word "snowbirds" in Canada.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I agree 100% with everything you are saying, but it is a fool's errand to debate this topic with people from Finland and Canada, both among the very coldest places on earth with a population of any significance.

If it wasn't for the weather, people could live in the middle of Canada much like people live in Arizona.

The true test of what people prefer is to look where people go just to enjoy the weather. I've never heard of anyone going to experience a snowy -3 C Canada in March just to get away from a sunny 25 degrees C.

The fact of the matter is that these cold climates like all of Canada (yes, Toronto, yes Montreal) are simply not what human beings are made to live in. Humans are designed to live in something like the climate of Sydney, not anywhere in Canada. It isn't a matter of preference, it's a matter of biology. We don't get enough vitamin D in places like Canada, and many people develop seasonal depression and/or make the best of what they can get.
I can tell you that Finland has one of the safest climates on earth. Weather causes hardly any casualties here. Ever.

People live in Arizona, people live in Alberta. So? But it's not a coincidence that most of the world's deserts are almost uninhabited.

Ever heard of ski tourism? A lot of Brits, Japanese etc come to Finland for Christmas because they want a snowy one.

Humans aren't designed for anything. From Berbers to Inuits, humans have survived everywhere on this planet. Why do you think the colonists came to Montréal and not the Yucatan peninsula? Why was Florida practically uninhabited by Europeans 150 years ago, while Finland had people dancing around the Midsummer pole? Or did the "design" suddenly change?

Maybe with little sunlight you get too little vitamin D, in a desert you might not get enough vitamin C. So? What are we gonna do?

Old 12-01-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Calgary is located in what is considered the livable area of Canada...and it's already unlivable for a lot of people...so you do the math...

Sure...do not forget lamps...and how big your green house needs to be to supply a reasonable community??

That is average high...however, it's interesting that Palm Springs is full of granmas and granpas strolling in the sunshine and a very desirable locales for senior folks to relocate ....funny isn't it?? Ever been there??
Unlivable for whom?

Likewise, you need a lot and lot of artificial aid to grow anything in Palm Springs, just as in Churchill.

Granmas and Granpas survive there because of endless AC, swimming pools, staying inside and in the shade. You're comparing that to sitting naked in snow in Churchill's -30C, and therefore your reasoning is = cold is lethal, heat isn't. It's apples and oranges.
Ok, your car brokes down in 40C heat in the middle of the desert, and it's a 5 hour walk. Then your car brokes down in a -40C cold in the middle of Siberia, and it's a 5 hour walk. Which will kill you? The answer is both, most likely.

This is a waste of our both's time, as you're aren't even comparing similar conditions with each other, and your logic is "I don't like cold, and I don't know what to wear or do in cold = nobody can survive in cold".

Quote:
How come so many more people live in Palm Springs and it's environs compared to Churchill and it's environs? How come so many more people live in the Phoenix MSA than in Murmansk? How come more people live in Florida than all of Scandinavia?
How come more people live in Murmansk than Palm Springs? How come more people live in Moscow than Madrid? How come more people live in Finland than Alabama? So, what's your point? We could go on until tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World