Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:07 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,161,064 times

Advertisements

Of the major Mediterranean cities, what rates where in each of these categories? A number (1-10) or short description is fine. Personal experience stories would be appreciated.

Overall Quality of life?
Human Rights/Freedom?
Liberal or Conservative?
Type of people (Homogeneous for that country or diverse)?
Economy (Jobs/Poverty)?
Housing (Density/Types of dwellings/Age/Condition)?
Cost of Living?
Infrastructure (Roads/Mass Transit)?
Education (Basic school/higher learning)?
Culture (Museums/Festivities)?
Nightlife (Bars/Clubs/Lounges)?

I think I hit all the major categories.

Quote:
Country Cities
Spain Barcelona, Alicante, Cartagena, Málaga, Palma, Valencia
France Marseille, Nice, Montpellier
Monaco Monaco
Italy Rome, Bari, Catania, Genoa, Messina, Naples, Palermo, Taranto, Trieste, Venice
Malta Valletta
Croatia Split
Albania Durrës
Greece Athens, Patras, Piraeus, Thessaloniki
Cyprus Limassol
Turkey Antalya, Istanbul, Iskenderun, Izmir, Izmit, Mersin, Tarsus
Syria Lattakia
Lebanon Beirut, Tripoli
Israel Tel Aviv, Ashdod, Haifa, Rishon LeZion,
Palestinian territories Gaza City
Egypt Alexandria, Damietta, Port Said
Libya Al Khums, Benghazi, Misrata, Tripoli
Tunisia Sfax, Tunis
Algeria Algiers, Annaba, Oran
Morocco Tétouan, Tangiers, Nador
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 7 days ago)

43,440 posts, read 44,149,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Of the major Mediterranean cities, what rates where in each of these categories? A number (1-10) or short description is fine. Personal experience stories would be appreciated.

Overall Quality of life?
Human Rights/Freedom?
Liberal or Conservative?
Type of people (Homogeneous for that country or diverse)?
Economy (Jobs/Poverty)?
Housing (Density/Types of dwellings/Age/Condition)?
Cost of Living?
Infrastructure (Roads/Mass Transit)?
Education (Basic school/higher learning)?
Culture (Museums/Festivities)?
Nightlife (Bars/Clubs/Lounges)?

I think I hit all the major categories.

Tel Aviv, Israel has a good quality of life, freedom, human rights, mainly liberal society. There is diversity (people of different backgrounds). The economy is much more stable than the USA. The center of Tel Aviv is more dense in population as is the whole Dan Region in the center of Israel (which includes Rishon Lezion which is a suburb south of Tel Aviv). Most people live in apt. buildings (some newer and some older). The cost of living is high (as it is in all of Israel). The education system is good and there are 2 state universities in the Tel Aviv area (the Univ. of Tel Aviv and Bar Ilan Univ.) as well as several smaller colleges. All Israeli children have mandatory education until age 16 approx. Tel Aviv is the cultural center of Israel (kind like a mini Manhattan/NYC) with city theaters, cinemas, an orchestra/music hall, opera, museums, open air cafes, etc. Tel Aviv also has a nice beach with promenade area that includes restaurants that are open also at night. There are several bars/pubs as well clubs in Tel Aviv.

Haifa (Israel 3rd largest city) like Tel Aviv has a good quality of life, freedom, human rights, mainly liberal society. Being that there is an oil refinery there I would assume that the pollution level is higher. Haifa also is the center of the Baha'i religion which has its beautiful temple and gardens (which is a must for visitors). Haifa is also known as a beach city (& port). Haifa too have several restaurants as well as some public (bus) transportation on Saturdays (the Jewish Shabbat) which is different most of the rest of the country.

Ashdod (Israel's southern Mediterranean port city) has a nice beach promenade area with restaurants that stay open at night.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:06 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,967,475 times
Well, I've always loved Athens, been there quite a number of times during the past years and fell in love with the vibrant atmosphere. But I'm afraid the quality of life isn't exactly as good now as it used to be. Really makes my heart bleed to see how Greek society and its capital are suffering .

Old 10-21-2011, 07:54 AM

174 posts, read 639,127 times
I'm only answering from a traveler's perspective.
Out of all those, I'd choose Valencia, Spain. Culturally and tourism-wise, it has a great potential and lots to offer. It's not as expensive as Marseilles or Rome, but it's as fun and beautiful.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:56 AM

27,404 posts, read 28,474,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choroneko View Post
Out of all those, I'd choose Valencia, Spain. Culturally and tourism-wise, it has a great potential and lots to offer. It's not as expensive as Marseilles or Rome, but it's as fun and beautiful.
I'd like to visit Valencia. It seems to be something of a well-kept secret (to the world).

Another place is Malta. I look at those pictures and just say WOW!

Old 10-21-2011, 08:08 AM

174 posts, read 639,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'd like to visit Valencia. It seems to be something of a well-kept secret (to the world).

The famous Tomato Festival happens in a town outside Valencia
Valencia is developing into a world-class tourism city. And it's fast to visit Valencia from Barcelona

Old 10-21-2011, 08:22 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,161,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Tel Aviv, Israel has a good quality of life, freedom, human rights, mainly liberal society. There is diversity (people of different backgrounds). The economy is much more stable than the USA. The center of Tel Aviv is more dense in population as is the whole Dan Region in the center of Israel (which includes Rishon Lezion which is a suburb south of Tel Aviv). Most people live in apt. buildings (some newer and some older). The cost of living is high (as it is in all of Israel). The education system is good and there are 2 state universities in the Tel Aviv area (the Univ. of Tel Aviv and Bar Ilan Univ.) as well as several smaller colleges. All Israeli children have mandatory education until age 16 approx. Tel Aviv is the cultural center of Israel (kind like a mini Manhattan/NYC) with city theaters, cinemas, an orchestra/music hall, opera, museums, open air cafes, etc. Tel Aviv also has a nice beach with promenade area that includes restaurants that are open also at night. There are several bars/pubs as well clubs in Tel Aviv.

Haifa (Israel 3rd largest city) like Tel Aviv has a good quality of life, freedom, human rights, mainly liberal society. Being that there is an oil refinery there I would assume that the pollution level is higher. Haifa also is the center of the Baha'i religion which has its beautiful temple and gardens (which is a must for visitors). Haifa is also known as a beach city (& port). Haifa too have several restaurants as well as some public (bus) transportation on Saturdays (the Jewish Shabbat) which is different most of the rest of the country.

Ashdod (Israel's southern Mediterranean port city) has a nice beach promenade area with restaurants that stay open at night.
Thanks, great details. Are these cities walkable in a European sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
Well, I've always loved Athens, been there quite a number of times during the past years and fell in love with the vibrant atmosphere. But I'm afraid the quality of life isn't exactly as good now as it used to be. Really makes my heart bleed to see how Greek society and its capital are suffering .
How have the austerity measures deteriorated the quality of life?

Quote:
Is it alive year round? Nightlife?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Is there a lot to do? Does the places feel cut off?

Quote:
The famous Tomato Festival happens in a town outside Valencia
Valencia is developing into a world-class tourism city. And it's fast to visit Valencia from Barcelona
Valencia and Barcelona, which has the older feel?

Old 10-24-2011, 03:36 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 7 days ago)

43,440 posts, read 44,149,883 times
Quote:
Thanks, great details. Are these cities walkable in a European sense?
Yes, most Israeli cities are walkable. You don't need a car to get around Israeli cities. There is also a great bus system between those walkable areas.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:43 AM

614 posts, read 3,202,882 times
Quote:

Valencia and Barcelona, which has the older feel?
Valencia

Old 10-25-2011, 02:50 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,497,946 times
"Egypt Alexandria, Damietta, Port Said
Libya Al Khums, Benghazi, Misrata, Tripoli
Tunisia Sfax, Tunis
Algeria Algiers, Annaba, Oran
Morocco Tétouan, Tangiers, Nador"

I'm not sure it's a great time to be in North Africa. I mean it's exciting and all, but I think some of it's still a tad unsettled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World