Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2011, 12:46 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,629 times

Advertisements

I've thought about this for years - ever since I worked in London for nine months. I was there with my US based company that opened an office in the UK. Living and working there (even on a a short term assignment) made me think it would be great if the English speaking countries of the world (that were on the same developmental level economically) had a reciprocity agreement as far as employment, movement of capital and trade goes. Despite regional differences we have so much in common and the easier movement of people and goods between these countries just seems logical. I'm not speaking of something as overreaching as a European Union (no single currency, etc...). Just a trade and employment agreement.

Countries:

USA
Canada
United Kingdom
Republic of Ireland
Australia
New Zealand

Yes, there are non-English speaking minorities in many of these countries, but in general they have the same basic cultural and linguistic roots, plus similar legal systems. What do you guys think? I just think it would be great for an Aussie to be able to move to California, a Canadian able to move to New Zealand an Englishman able to move to Florida and a New Yorker able to move to Scotland - all easily and painlessly. I think such freedom would be a great boon to all those countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 12:59 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,648,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
I've thought about this for years - ever since I worked in London for nine months. I was there with my US based company that opened an office in the UK. Living and working there (even on a a short term assignment) made me think it would be great if the English speaking countries of the world (that were on the same developmental level economically) had a reciprocity agreement as far as employment, movement of capital and trade goes. Despite regional differences we have so much in common and the easier movement of people and goods between these countries just seems logical. I'm not speaking of something as overreaching as a European Union (no single currency, etc...). Just a trade and employment agreement.

Countries:

USA
Canada
United Kingdom
Republic of Ireland
Australia
New Zealand

Yes, there are non-English speaking minorities in many of these countries, but in general they have the same basic cultural and linguistic roots, plus similar legal systems. What do you guys think? I just think it would be great for an Aussie to be able to move to California, a Canadian able to move to New Zealand an Englishman able to move to Florida and a New Yorker able to move to Scotland - all easily and painlessly. I think such freedom would be a great boon to all those countries.
Well, British and Irish already are in a union together with freedom of movement and Aussies and Kiwis already can move freely between each other's countries. I've noticed Canadians go in the US line at immigration control at American airports, is that correct? As an Englishman under age 30 I can move to Canada/Australia/NZ on a working holiday visa with little fuss, often for longer than a citizen of most other nationalities. I believe the US was invited to join the scheme but refused.

It's a nice idea, but perhaps belongs to the pre-1960s era when the Anglo demographic and cultural influence in those countries were stronger and with international travel/communications being more expensive then we had the luxury of looser immigration controls without the risk of being swamped by huge numbers. With today's PC world I can't see giving special treatment to citizens of countries consisting of mostly white people getting the thumbs-up... I'd be interested to know how easy visa-wise international immigration was between those countries 50+ years ago compared to now.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:43 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times
I wish the UK would move away from Europe and towards its anglosphere friends..

Old 10-26-2011, 06:54 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post

Countries:

USA
Canada
United Kingdom
Republic of Ireland
Australia
New Zealand

This already exists MINUS the U.S.

It's really easy for Brits, Aussies, Canadians to get work visa and emigrate to the other's countries...tons of programs in place. They all feel 'united' under the old Queen of England.

The U.S. is the misfit. We have a lot more influences well beyond the UK, and we don't necessarily seem to have any programs anywhere to easily bring in Commonwealth people...so, they, in turn, have almost no programs in place to bring in young Americans for a work experience in their countries.

In short, this definitely exist between all the countries listed and each other....but the U.S. gov't doesn't want in on the game, for who knows why reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World