Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your Favorite Cuisines?
American 68 29.06%
Mexican 89 38.03%
Peruvian 19 8.12%
French 53 22.65%
German 21 8.97%
Spanish 32 13.68%
Moroccan 19 8.12%
Italian 121 51.71%
Hungarian 12 5.13%
Greek 52 22.22%
Turkish 41 17.52%
Lebanese 30 12.82%
Indian 81 34.62%
Chinese 70 29.91%
Korean 37 15.81%
Japanese 56 23.93%
Thai 80 34.19%
Vietnamese 36 15.38%
Indonesian 15 6.41%
Other 45 19.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 03:36 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Ahh! I didn't know I can pick six!! I only picked my two favorites, Korean and Spanish. And I am shocked!!! that those two aren't polling higher on this. I wonder if a lot of people just don't know or haven't been exposed to those cuisines.
I find Spanish food to be very bland- I do like tapas, the meats and wine, but I don't feel cravings for Spanish food.

I think Korean is good too, but again, there isnt an intense yearning for it like with other foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 03:44 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
I like Austrian food as well, though it's not in the poll. Schnitzel and zwiebelrostbraten are awesome.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:44 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbury View Post
As an Italian very fond of Thai food, I say it would not be easy to sell Thai food to Italian people. Thai food is delicious and exotic, but it is made with too much spices and condiments, and the mix of spices is very unusual for the Italian palates: sugar gets mixed with chilly and salt i.e. sweet flavor is mixed with spicy and salty flavor. I mean Thai people eat their fresh pineapple slices with sugar, salt and chilly all mixed up together, what do you think about that?

And the biggest obstacle of all is that Thai food is way too spicy. In fact, in my opinion, it is the spiciest food on the planet.

Finally, nobody in Italy cares or even knows something about Thai food. When an Italian wants to eat Asian food he or she goes to eat at a Chinese or Japanese restaurant, and that's it. Thai food is totally unknown by the general public.
Yes this is very true. If you are not accustomed to eating spices, chiles and on top of that, mixed with sweets, it will be hard to accept those foods.

Your first paragraph made my mouth water. Mexicans eat tropical fruits with lemon, salt and chile powder/sauce. Also, alot of our candies have tamarind, chile and salt.YUM.

This may be why Thai is one of my favorite foods!

Old 05-01-2016, 04:24 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbury View Post
As an Italian very fond of Thai food, I say it would not be easy to sell Thai food to Italian people. Thai food is delicious and exotic, but it is made with too much spices and condiments, and the mix of spices is very unusual for the Italian palates: sugar gets mixed with chilly and salt i.e. sweet flavor is mixed with spicy and salty flavor. I mean Thai people eat their fresh pineapple slices with sugar, salt and chilly all mixed up together, what do you think about that?

And the biggest obstacle of all is that Thai food is way too spicy. In fact, in my opinion, it is the spiciest food on the planet.

Finally, nobody in Italy cares or even knows something about Thai food. When an Italian wants to eat Asian food he or she goes to eat at a Chinese or Japanese restaurant, and that's it. Thai food is totally unknown by the general public.
Maybe you are right but i think there's a growing number of young people who are looking for new culinary experiences. They are looking for something different when going out and if you choose the right city, the right location and accurately pick the dishes that suit the Italian palates the best (i know how choosy and picky we can be when something food related doesn't adjust to our standards). I think it could be a decent investment and same goes for Mexican

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Thai Food is brilliant, I personally love it. I never would have thought of mixing coconut milk with chiles and lime, but boy does it taste good.
I tried reading up on it and some of the recipes blew my mind. Using ingredients in ways that aren't thought of here

Old 05-01-2016, 06:00 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
So far, as of 1 May 2016, the winners are:

#1 - Italian (101 votes)

#2 - Mexican (74 votes)

#3 - Indian (71 votes)

#4 - Thai (68 votes)

#5 - Chinese (60 votes)

... and in last place:

Hungarian (9 votes)

I guess people have never experienced a wonderful goulash before.

Some really good cuisines, not mentioned here, are:

Russian

Swedish

Swiss

Cuban

Argentinian

Brazilian

Afghan

Old 05-01-2016, 06:23 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,030,146 times
For me...

Tier 1:
American
Mexican
Italian

Tier 2:
Greek
Turkish
Thai
Japanese

Tier 3:
French
Malaysian
Singaporean
Indonesian

Tier 4:
Spanish
Belgian
German
Austrian
Indian
Vietnamese

Tier 5:
English
Dutch
Hungarian
Lao
Chinese
Korean

Haven't tried real Peruvian, Moroccan and Lebanese food yet.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:52 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,603 times
This thread made me hungry. Thanks a lot, guys. I really appreciate it.

I'm eager to try out Argentine cuisine. Apparently there's a really good argentine bistro close to me.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:38 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

So to point the finger specifically at Pret a Manger is rather bizzare, given the damage done by US Chains globally over the last forty years in relation to both our high street and rates of obesity.

Albuquerque may well be 1000 miles away from where many fast food chains were estanlished but then again NYC Deli's are more than 1000 miles away , so why are you so concerned. As for Albuquerque in New Mexico isn't that an area closely associated with the whole American/Mexican frusion of food, which is now becoming a staple diet of many fast food outlets.

For the first part, a comparison of the impact of a single restaurant chain, Pret a Manger, versus the 40 year history of the British public's inability to resist the lawful, if regrettable presence of American fast food chains in England's green and pleasant land, is a boldly imbalanced comparison.

For the second part, I admit my location status is misleading as it lust my city of residence, Albuquerque, whereas "my city", to which I was referring, is New York City. Mea culpa on that one, I should have been more clear.

That said, the cuisine of New Mexico, while part of the increasingly popular fabric of greater MesoAmerican cuisines is barely available outside the borders of the state, much less in a commodified and simplified fast food form. And since most of its dishes are swimming in a stew of chile sauces and don't lend themselves to eating on the go, I doubt New Mexican fast food is on the horizon.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:59 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
For the first part, a comparison of the impact of a single restaurant chain, Pret a Manger, versus the 40 year history of the British public's inability to resist the lawful, if regrettable presence of American fast food chains in England's green and pleasant land, is a boldly imbalanced comparison.
It's not merely a British problem, indeed if anything the British have taken on some of the American Chains, for instance we have taken on Starbucks with British chains such as Costa Coffee (the second largest in the world), Coffee Republic and Cafe Nero, whilst companies such as Eat and Pret a Manger have taken on the likes of Subway and Quizno, whilst we have Pizza/Italian chains such as Prezza, Strada, Ask, Pizza Express etc as well as numerous small independent outlets. Indeed Britain was one of the few countries that already had a fast foof type industry long before the American invasion wth Jellied Eeel stalls, Hot Roast Chesnuts sold on the streets, Oyster Bars, Cockles and Muscle stands etc, and we still have fish and chip shops (the original fast food), tea rooms/coffee shops, sandwich outlets, numerous pie and pasty outlets and the first burger chain in the UK was Wimpy and not McDonalds, whilst a British Company even owned Burger King for several years.

We have Deli's, a strong retail industry and have a history of importing spices and foods from Empire, Coffee outlets date back to the 15th Century in London and even the humble sandwich is named after John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich. The town of Sandwich being in Kent in England and rather amusingly close to the town of Ham. So in many ways the British were fast food pioneers, and have adapted to the culture of fast food far more easily than some other nations.

London has been home to some fantastic street food for centuries; even when the ancient Romans occupied Londonium, as it was then known, street vendors were the ticket to dining that most people used, as few homes of the working class had kitchens. Oysters were amongst the most ubiquitous street foods in London at that time. The current site of Leadenhall Market was once Roman London’s heart, and in the fourteenth century it was the site of a meat bazaar.

In mediaeval London, street vendors peddled oysters, baked apples, and hot pies to the masses. During the Stuart and Georgian eras, street sellers carried their merchandise on their heads, and it was anything but clean, thanks to birds and anything nasty that might fall from above! The “Muffin Man” ditty dates from this time, and common foods sold were cakes, pastries, nuts, cherries, rhubarb, and salmon from Newcastle. Victorian London saw popular street foods such as baked potatoes, hot eels, pea soup, fried fish, pickled whelks, and traditional pies being sold widely.

Over the last century, street vendors evolved into having carts and vans, and multicultural fare from Africa, India, Asia and the West Indies began to coexist with fish and chip sellers.

London's Coffee Houses | HISTORY

Fish & Chips: A History | History Today

Victorian History: A Fast Food Generation

Square Pie - Old Spitalfields Market. E1 Est.2001

West Cornwall Pasty Co. Pasties, Breakfast, Lunch, Coffee

Greggs - The Bakers

Despite the opening of numerous new coffee chains, more traditional tea shops such as Betty's in Yorkshire remain among the most popular and loved.

Bettys Tea Rooms - Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict
For the second part, I admit my location status is misleading as it lust my city of residence, Albuquerque, whereas "my city", to which I was referring, is New York City. Mea culpa on that one, I should have been more clear.
I fully accept and indeed respect the fact that you love your home city, and that's why you use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict
That said, the cuisine of New Mexico, while part of the increasingly popular fabric of greater MesoAmerican cuisines is barely available outside the borders of the state, much less in a commodified and simplified fast food form. And since most of its dishes are swimming in a stew of chile sauces and don't lend themselves to eating on the go, I doubt New Mexican fast food is on the horizon
The region is also known for Enchiladas, Burritos, Taco's, Tortilla and indeed Chili sauces, all of which lend themselves to fast food, although I appreciate New Mexico far richer and diverse food than this and I am sure New Mexico has some fantastic food.

In Britaomn Baked potato were traditional fast food dating back to Victorian times and today Baked potatos are often served for takebout with sauces such as Chilli Con Carne, whilst Britain also has a lot of regional stews and hotpots.

Spudulike | made to order food

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-02-2016 at 04:29 AM..

Old 05-02-2016, 06:43 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Over the last decade there has been a food revolution in terms of British Street Food and Food Markets, which are now a fusion of so many global cultures and global cusines.

About | British Street Food

London's 50 best street food stalls and vendors

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-02-2016 at 07:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World