Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your Favorite Cuisines?
American 68 29.06%
Mexican 89 38.03%
Peruvian 19 8.12%
French 53 22.65%
German 21 8.97%
Spanish 32 13.68%
Moroccan 19 8.12%
Italian 121 51.71%
Hungarian 12 5.13%
Greek 52 22.22%
Turkish 41 17.52%
Lebanese 30 12.82%
Indian 81 34.62%
Chinese 70 29.91%
Korean 37 15.81%
Japanese 56 23.93%
Thai 80 34.19%
Vietnamese 36 15.38%
Indonesian 15 6.41%
Other 45 19.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:20 PM

506 posts, read 1,956,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, that's the sad thing about Italian cuisine--there is plenty of diversity outside of pasta that Italy has but what's cemented itself in the US is mostly the pasta and red sauce based parts of it. A rich risotto or a pasta dish based on a roux, pesto, or just tossed peppercorns and butter is fairly rare in the US. Polenta-based dishes are also terribly under-appreciated.

The same goes with (and is magnified) for large countries like China and India whose dishes are wildly different from one region to another. Indian cuisine in the US is mostly a fairly narrow band of northern Indian food while Chinese cuisine in the US is usually a strongly modified form of southern Chinese cuisine with a few additions of northern Chinese cuisine staples done in a southern style. I'm particular to Chinese cuisine, especially that of the northwest, sichuan and far northwest (basically hybridized turkic for the latter) cuisine which gets far less notice here in the states, but is often so much more varied than the greasy kung pao chicken etc. that you get in most Chinese take-outs in the US--we are talking about some seriously delicious and varied foods.
You're right. It's not fair to make a blanket statement of the food. I have been to italy and have also (obviously) had much of the Italian food here in the US. I wouldn't list it in my favorites regardless, but there are many flavors and ingredients I do love and meals I prepare at home myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I thought i could only vote 1, and i voted Mexican, but i should have voted Italian. Argentina cuisine is mostly italian, all my family is italian, and my grandmother that never learned a word of spanish (lol) cooked us some DELICIOUS food all through my childhood. Awesome.

My picks will be
Italian
Mexican
Chinese
Greek
French
Peruvian
Argentinian! This definitely is up there for me, by ways of the meat offerings (entrana *drool). I have to add Brazil to this list for that as well. Both cases, I have eaten food in the country itself (Brazil multiple times) and love love love it. I did live in Latin America for a couple years and may be biased to these flavors as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 01:37 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,030,146 times
1.Italian.....................................38
2.Mexican...................................29
3.Indian.....................................28
4.Thai.......................................27
5.Chinese...................................25
6.American.................................20
7.French....................................19
8.Greek......................................18
9.Turkish....................................17
10.Vietnamese.............................16
11.Japanese, Lebanese, Other........14
12.Korean...................................13
13.German, Indonesian, Moroccan....8
14.Peruvian, Spanish......................6
15.Hungarian................................4

I knew Indian was popular but more than Chinese & American WOW.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:04 AM

71 posts, read 263,069 times
I think Turkish cuisine is by far the best -

i also like Italian and Mexican.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:34 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,030,146 times
1.Italian.......................................39
2.Mexican.....................................30
3.Indian........................................29
4.Thai..........................................28
5.Chinese.....................................25
6.American...................................21
7.French......................................20
8.Greek,Turkish.............................18
9.Vietnamese................................16
10.Japanese.................................15
11.Korean, Lebanese, Other.............14
12.Moroccan.................................10
13.German, Indonesian....................8
14.Peruvian, Spanish......................6
15.Hungarian.................................4

Old 12-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
I am not surprised Italian, Thai, Indian, and Chinese are in the top 5 most voted so far.

However, I am surprised that Mexican is in the top 5 and in second place.

It seems interesting that Indonesian is tied with German so far, and also that Peruvian/Spanish food is so far below Mexican.

Most votes in the "Other" category people probably voted for Ethiopian, Tibetan/Nepalese, and Malaysian. It seems possible that there could have been more votes in the Other category, and for that to be 6th-8th place in the ranks.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:28 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Indian, Mexican, Caribbean...in that order.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:31 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times
Pakistani.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:48 AM

276 posts, read 763,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
It seems interesting that Indonesian is tied with German so far, and also that Peruvian/Spanish food is so far below Mexican.
What a shame. Spanish food is still a great unknown for most of the world.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:44 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
I am not surprised Italian, Thai, Indian, and Chinese are in the top 5 most voted so far.

Most votes in the "Other" category people probably voted for Ethiopian, Tibetan/Nepalese, and Malaysian. It seems possible that there could have been more votes in the Other category, and for that to be 6th-8th place in the ranks.
Mexican shouldn't be a surprise since it's a cuisine that a lot of the people on this board (mostly Americans) are familiar with. What's more is that a lot of people haven't been introduced to the full extent of what Mexican cuisine has to offer since it's such an amazing fusion of various cuisines and climates where ingredients and techniques vary by a huge amount from region to region. Mexican cuisine is probably the most intense fusion of various indigenous New World and European continental cuisines in the world and it shows.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:54 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:

Honestly, I don't think most Americans are that qualified to judge real Indonesia food, let alone Malaysian. The immigrant communities from those countries are tiny compared to other Asian countries. I don't recall seeing one Indonesian restaurant in the US, not even in NYC. Indonesia is on our doorstep (our Mexico basically) and we're familiar with the culture and cuisine of that country. Aussies go there all the time and we have many immigrants from those nations. For me Indonesian and Malaysian food might be the best in Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World