Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 02:57 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,964 times

Advertisements

Number one was Vienna, Austria.
German cities scored well in the top ten.
In the list for personal safety American cities are not in the top 50.

2011 Quality of Living survey

Last edited by Visvaldis; 11-29-2011 at 03:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 03:19 PM

10,640 posts, read 16,023,053 times
Amsterdam safer than Tokyo?
In what world?

Old 11-29-2011, 03:38 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,843,977 times
So Glasgow is safer than the rest of Scotlands cities!? I severely doubt that.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:42 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,537 times
Default Thank you for sharing!

Yeah, I can see how this happened. Whenever I am in Europe, I take heavily advantage of the trains, subways, trams, etc. It just makes your live so much easier. It really does. I hate our car culture. Personally, I totally love Munich. It is just a gorgeous city. I could go on and on about Munich..lol. So, I am surprised it's not at #1! They probably all scored close to each other, though. Still, I am surprised London is so far down the list. I did like London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
So Glasgow is safer than the rest of Scotlands cities!? I severely doubt that.
Maybe. I guess they considered crime per capita. You always hear more about crime in the big cities because they do have more crime in terms of the raw numbers.. But, it might still be lower when you look at the per capita.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:36 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
I think it's a dumb list. It's just rooting for the underdog. Visiting these cities is fine.

However, I could care less about living in most of the smaller or mid-sized cities listed in the so-called top 25.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:44 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think it's a dumb list. It's just rooting for the underdog. Visiting these cities is fine.

However, I could care less about living in most of the smaller or mid-sized cities listed in the so-called top 25.
Well, what village you currently live in?

Old 11-29-2011, 09:13 PM

183 posts, read 601,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Amsterdam safer than Tokyo?
In what world?
Quote:
This year, the survey separately identifies those cities with the highest personal safety ranking based on internal stability, crime levels, law enforcement effectiveness and the host country’s international relations.
Not sure what internal stability covers. Could include natural disasters. You may be safer from street crime in Tokyo, I assume, but not earthquakes and, say, radioactive particles that are floating around, in the sea, and food chain. Or maybe Tokyo has higher crime than people think. 40 million people there. There are seedy looking areas.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:17 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,964 times
European cities did very well. I lived in Frankfurt for 11 years. It's a dynamic city.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:17 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
Quote:

The cities with the highest standard-of-living or even happiness-of-population are usually/often mid-sized cities or smaller. Not just in this survey, but in many I've seen. That you personally don't like such cities is fine, but your personal taste is not really indicative of anything. (Although it's not exactly like the highest cities are even all "small or mid-sized." Munich is fourth and I believe it's fairly decent sized. Sydney is 11th and Toronto is 15th, both of them I think are quite large. Amsterdam and Berlin are also quite large and in their top-twenty)

That being said I'm not really saying this survey is "right." I think the surveys based on objective information, if this is one, are useful even if one doesn't agree with the interpretation. Possibly one values other factors more than them, or places no value in something they value, but it's still kind of interesting. That being said some of their "personal safety" results perplex me too. I'm guessing some cities that are quite safe are maybe being marked down for the other factors they put in it, like international-relations or internal-stability or whatever. Japanese Prime Ministers seems to resign fairly often so possibly Tokyo gets marked off for that or because of the threat of North Korea or something.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:21 PM

183 posts, read 601,331 times
Quote:

Underdog how?

Quote:
Mercer conducts the survey to help governments and multi-national companies compensate employees fairly when placing them on international assignments.
I think the criteria they chose matters more to someone with a family. It's missing nightlife and fun in the assessment. Many of those top cities are pristine and beautiful, but extremely dull for a single person.

Anyway, Canada is kicking the US' butt. Of course NYC is more fun than Toronto and perhaps Montreal, and San Francisco is probably a more enjoyable place to live overall than Vancouver. But Canada still invests in their cities fairly well and the income gap, poverty, unemployment, and crime are lower in their cities than US cities. Nothing like central and northern Europe though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World