Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 01:37 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by landondparks View Post
Probably because most countries, especially EU countries, do not want Americans there who want to turn their country into another America.
Most of us would like to just find somewhere to dump the Americans who would rather live in Europe. We'd rather they just emigrate to one of the countries that is already how they want it instead of forcing us to be like all the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 04:22 PM

14 posts, read 107,270 times
Quote:
Most of us would like to just find somewhere to dump the Americans who would rather live in Europe. We'd rather they just emigrate to one of the countries that is already how they want it instead of forcing us to be like all the others.
Again, I agree. Even as an American. I can understand the issue. I know how 99.9999999% of Americans think (having lived around them my entire life). I'm just glad their are ways (no matter how hard) that an American who truly wants to adapt to a new culture and that can understand that if you want to move to a different culture your going to have to fit in and not try to change that culture - can actually do it. Problem is , most Americans think they are entitled to world and can do what-ever they damn well please and there is nothing can be done about. We'll get our guns and fight!!!! I hate that mentality that runs rapid across America.

Don't even get me started on the likes of Bill O'Reily and the Mox news network.

Ehhhhh!!!! Okay, I'm done ranting now. You can tell I'm patriotic, huh? Frankly, I don't consider myself American. I was born in the wrong country :-/ by mistake. Could have been worse I guess. I could have been born in the Iraq or Afghanistan and not be able to do anything.

Last edited by landondparks; 05-15-2012 at 04:37 PM..

Old 05-15-2012, 05:02 PM

689 posts, read 2,160,644 times
Just being a language stickler, but it is easy to emigrate, regardless of where you are going. But it is much harder to immigrate when you get there.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:13 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I somewhat agree with what you're saying, but I think the best way would be to split the US. Left (Blue) and Right (Red). Give everyone say 2 years to find their way to which side they prefer, then you become a citizen of that nation...Blue America and Red America. Would it be that simple? No, but with things as they are in this country today, I actually think it could be good for both sides. Everyone gets more of what they want, and our days of totally paralyzed government would end (or at least get markedly better). I know where I would live...hint...I don't think I would need to move And yes, the people that are truly straight down the middle centrists might have some difficulty choosing, but I figure in reality everyone leans a bit left or right, even at the center.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:10 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,946,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
I somewhat agree with what you're saying, but I think the best way would be to split the US. Left (Blue) and Right (Red). Give everyone say 2 years to find their way to which side they prefer, then you become a citizen of that nation...Blue America and Red America. Would it be that simple? No, but with things as they are in this country today, I actually think it could be good for both sides. Everyone gets more of what they want, and our days of totally paralyzed government would end (or at least get markedly better). I know where I would live...hint...I don't think I would need to move And yes, the people that are truly straight down the middle centrists might have some difficulty choosing, but I figure in reality everyone leans a bit left or right, even at the center.
Nah, what they need to do is switch to state governments. Give everyone some time to move to whatever state they want, then run the US like the EU is run -- open borders between multiple countries.

Back on topic, obviously Somalia would be the easiest, but you'll probably get shot or robbed.

Many EU countries offer you citizenship if you start a business (some countries are easier than others, though. Germany requires a HUGE investment, and that you create at least 6 new jobs for Germans).

I know there are several countries that offer residency to English teachers, though it's not the same thing as permanent citizenship.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
Nah, what they need to do is switch to state governments. Give everyone some time to move to whatever state they want, then run the US like the EU is run -- open borders between multiple countries.
Exactly. I don't see why it can't be done. It would be the simplest way to handle it. States are much more able to take care of their own citizens and still remain out of a debt than the federal government. That darn pesky constitution of ours probably wouldn't allow got such things.

I think once a country gets so big - it starts to fall apart, no matter how it's ran. We seen it happen with Russia - and if China did not have such a big hold over America - they would be the same boat as us. UK is starting to fall apart, as they see their population increase. The only countries that seem to remain active and prosperous are those with a limited population and a small area to care for. We also see it all the time with big corporations. They need bail-outs, go bankrupt, etc. Only reason Wal-Marts still ticking is because the American Government is so dysfunctional that it keeps many of its citizens from being able to afford anything from any other place.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:44 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
I wonder if Western nations with a declining native birth population have changed their immigration policies to allow more foreigners in who would pay taxes into the system to keep it going? Doesn't Italy have a negative population growth, and has for a while?

Old 05-18-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
That works, too. I could support something like that.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I wonder if Western nations with a declining native birth population have changed their immigration policies to allow more foreigners in who would pay taxes into the system to keep it going? Doesn't Italy have a negative population growth, and has for a while?
To my knowledge, all of the countries still maintain extremely tight immigration regulations. I'm unaware of any country in the world that will allow a person to move there without a) marrying someone from that country. b) Investing large sums of money(usually $200,000 USD or more), or c) you can prove you have enough to support yourself without working - then you would probably only get Residency rather than Citizenship.

Netherlands is probably the easier for Americans to Immigrate to who don't meet one of the above conditions. Sure, there are countries like Somalia and the like - but really, who would ever WANT to immigrate to a place like that. I would only want to immigrate if the place I was going was better than the one I was leaving. Although, I guess the term "better" is subjective.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:11 PM

There are countries seeking migrants with particular skills (i.e, doctors, nurses are two big ones). In some cases you can gain resident permits, leading to citizenship. That I know of, Australia, New Zealand, UK, and Canada have these types of lists. And, of course, your skill/occupation needs to be on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World