Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 07:51 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Is it being ignorant ? Why ? Because I cannot tell the difference ? It's not like English that is being taught to everyone. I didn't have any exposure to the language as it was not taught in school... My only exposure is now and and I cannot tell which one I am exposed too, all I know is that it sounds like Donald Duck...and it's not even like English, Spanish , French, italian or Portuguese that are known all over the world.
Then educate yourself and do some research. Listen to clips on youtube. I already showed you two. If you still can't tell the different then there is something wrong with your hearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 08:58 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,486,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Which dialect? Or, are you sure you're thinking of the correct language family in the first place? There is no such thing as "Chinese"
I don't know, in my town there are a lot of them and their language sounds monotonous... But I am sure it is Chinese (whatever the dialect) because I have a friend who speaks a bit and improves with them sometimes.

Quote:
Because it is confusing for people like me who know nothing about the language. How are we supposed to know if it is Msndarin, Cantonese, Hokien or other Chinese dialects ? All we know is that it is a language spoken by a Chinese person.
Agree.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:34 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,086,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Then educate yourself and do some research. Listen to clips on youtube. I already showed you two. If you still can't tell the different then there is something wrong with your hearing.
youtube is blocked.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:44 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
youtube is blocked.
Well living in Guangdong, it would probably be of great help to you if you could distinguish Mandarin and Cantonese and learn some basic phrases in both. I'd imagine most in the province would be bilingual, so you could always ask someone to explain the difference to you.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:45 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I don't know, in my town there are a lot of them and their language sounds monotonous... But I am sure it is Chinese (whatever the dialect) because I have a friend who speaks a bit and improves with them sometimes.

Agree.
It's most likely Cantonese. Cantonese is what most westerners have been exposed to as historically, they made up the majority who emigrated from China. This is starting to change though. In western countries you can sort of cheat to figure out which is which. Cantonese are generally working class with many being rather poor. Mandarin speakers tend to be the ones who come to get higher paying jobs frequently in a high tech industry. In California for example, Cantonese is in San Francisco and Oakland. Mandarin predominates in the San Jose area. That area is where the lions share of the high tech jobs are where as SF and Oakland have the working class Chinatowns. Between SF and SJ, the change-over is gradual.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I think Tagalog sounds fine, but the way they speak in the media is very annoying. They cant stick to one language. I feel like the Philippines is the only place in the world where it's perfectly acceptable on TV to switch back and forth between 2 languages whenever you feel like it.

Regine Velasquez - A Sweet Life (part 3 of 4) - YouTube
Sometimes they don't really have a choice because there are some words that don't have a Tagalog translation so they kind of have to use English.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:05 PM

392 posts, read 351,982 times
German- then French.....then that stupid black dialect.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:26 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,255 times
Xhosa, and the languages in some African nations where they click clack their tongues and speak and talk and make communication sounds with their throat.

It's remarkable how they do all of it, but gets annoying at times.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It's most likely Cantonese. Cantonese is what most westerners have been exposed to as historically, they made up the majority who emigrated from China. This is starting to change though. In western countries you can sort of cheat to figure out which is which. Cantonese are generally working class with many being rather poor. Mandarin speakers tend to be the ones who come to get higher paying jobs frequently in a high tech industry. In California for example, Cantonese is in San Francisco and Oakland. Mandarin predominates in the San Jose area. That area is where the lions share of the high tech jobs are where as SF and Oakland have the working class Chinatowns. Between SF and SJ, the change-over is gradual.
Really? Because Mandarin is said to be the 3rd or 4th most spoken language in the USA.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post
Did anybody notice the similiarities between the Mongolian and Turkish language? Although, they are completely different, you can hear that they are related to each other....

Aren't they part of the same language family tree or linguistic family branch etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World