Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 01:42 PM

4,002 posts, read 6,838,779 times

Advertisements

How could I forget WILLIAM ???

There are thousands and thousands of Brazilians called William!!!

And how could i forget JEFFERSON ???

There are tons of Jeffersons in Brazil! It's even more popular than Wellington or Washington!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 02:04 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,495,171 times
Default Wow....

Uh....

Michael:

Michael - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"is a given name that comes from the Hebrew "

Olivia is Latin for olive.. Anderson is derived form Andreas, which is Greek, if I remember correctly. I could go on and on... Lol @ Emma.. Emma is German. Anna? Eva? Noah? Sara? Julia? Daniel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
How could I forget WILLIAM ???

There are thousands and thousands of Brazilians called William!!!

And how could i forget JEFFERSON ???

There are tons of Jeffersons in Brazil! It's even more popular than Wellington or Washington!
You forgot it because...

"
William is a popular given name of old Germanic origin"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_%28name%29

Old 12-22-2011, 02:45 PM

190 posts, read 707,596 times
In my country people think that putting some english names (as Jenny or Kevin) to the babies is something absurd, not because they consider those names ordinaries per se, but consider them as an external influence that has nothing to do with our culture. As my mom says "put a name that you can´t even pronounce"

Old 12-22-2011, 03:21 PM

600 posts, read 1,936,493 times
In my home country we have German, French, Italian and English names. The popular English ones when I was a kid were: Tom, Kim, Sam, Kevin, Nancy, Sandy, Sandra, Jerry,...

Old 12-22-2011, 03:27 PM

230 posts, read 906,265 times
I am going to defend all those Brazilians who have an Anglo surname as thier first name. I am American but my parents did the same thing only with a surname that is Danish, or Norwegian or both not sure. But at least they spelled it like it is normally spelled. There are many Brazilians with the name Washington spelling Uashington or something like that.

Last edited by nesne; 12-22-2011 at 03:57 PM..

Old 12-22-2011, 03:44 PM

221 posts, read 657,092 times
What is an english name??

Lots of people have like christian/hebrew names like Daniel, Jacob, Christian etc.

But names such as George, Joe, Jack, Lewis etc. No not at all.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanishGuy View Post

Lots of people have like christian/hebrew names like Daniel, Jacob, Christian etc.

The english version of the name is the "english" name.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanishGuy View Post

George, Joe, Jack, have hebrew origins too, for exemple "Jack" has the same origin than the spanish "diego" or "Santiago" or "Jacobo", they all come from the hebrew "Ya'akov "...

Old 12-22-2011, 05:13 PM

10,232 posts, read 15,104,036 times
I once met a Hispanic guy that said his name was David.

When I called him dah-veeed (as it is pronounced in Spanish), he proceeded to correct me that the correct way was day-veed.

I spent a few minutes trying to make him understand that despite David being written the same in English and in Spanish, his name, considering he's a Hispanic, would correspond with the Spanish pronunciation and not the English, hence I was right and he was wrong. It was all in vain, he stuck to his ways.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:58 PM

26,843 posts, read 22,665,634 times
In Russia names of Greek/Hebrew origin ( like for example Michael, Daniel, Alexander, Gregory, Andrew) are very common. However if you meet someone with the name "David" it's most likely a Jew or a Georgian, and the name "Ruben" seems to be reserved for people of Armenian origin. If you hear something like "Esmeralda" or "Harry" or "Rose" - chances are it's Caucasians or Jews.
The only name of truly(?) English origin that's accepted by Russians is probably Arthur, and it's not all that common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World