Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 06:54 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,214,882 times

Advertisements

Well...here are vacations in Finland:
Avoimet työpaikat - Haku hakutekijöillä=
Scroll site litlle bit down and you will find "English teachers wanted".
In Finland maybe 80% is speaking more or less english, so "daily life" is not so difficult but normally teachers need have skill to speak finnish or swedish too.
Sure there is sometimes open vacations those who speak just english, this site is regulary updated (Its official service) and maybe its worth to keep eye on it.

If you dont know anything about Finland, these maybe are helpfull:

Americans living in Finland

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki1tmKTRtcs&feature=related
Education in Finland

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqtAJ9ofPT4&feature=related
Homes in Finland

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsaUoiZ7nqI&feature=related
Some tourist stuff, concerning city of Helsinki

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKGnGEaFSJk&feature=related
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 07:26 PM

183 posts, read 601,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
Thanks! That helps a lot. I have been reading about saving money. It's amazing how cheap things are in S Korea. It would be nice to be close to the ocean
Yeah, cost of living is another low point for Japan. Plus, the money you have in the US when converted to their currency will be worth less now. On the plus side, if you plan to stay for awhile and can save, the money you make will be worth more when transferred back to the US. The question is, will that extra money you gain, minus the extra cost of living, be more or less than the money you can save teaching in Korea.

However, it's hard to save money in Japan if you're not teaching university, or working for a foreign company, and enjoy your time there. Not only is the basic cost of living expensive, but so is entertainment. Not sure about clubs in Korea, but expect to pay 2000-4000 yen ($25-$50) just to enter a club in Japan.

Japan may still have an edge on youthful fashion trends, but it's really a very small portion of the population and you mainly only see them in Shibuya and Harajuku on the weekends. The subcultures/cliques tend to be shop-specific and very consumer-oriented. Great for a photographers, though this is what so many foreigners in Japan want to see and photograph, disappointing for those interested in subcultures from a cultural anthropological viewpoint. Anyway, point is the vast majority of Japanese dress normal, though well. This may also be a bit overwhelming, like you can't step out of your apartment without making sure you look halfway decent.

There's a new SNL skit where they make fun of Americans who think all Japanese are like cute, bright color dressed kids you see in the Fruits magazine, and dress and act the way they think those people probably act.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:40 PM

16,256 posts, read 43,165,223 times
As a person in Japan, I'd say just go to Japan if you're really interested in Japan and Japanese culture. I wouldn't come here 'for the money' or 'for teaching experience. It's not worth it, unless you have a particular interest in Japan.

South Korea is where people go 'for the money' or 'for the experience'. It's the catch-all place for all types. I lived and taught in South Korea for about 8 years. It's great for travelers, all types. Mostly because there are a gazillion jobs available, and all types of teaching. Plus you get free apartments, and enough money to easily travel on whenever you have time off.

As opposed to just about everywhere else, where you're mostly just living in the country of your choice. I also wanted to teach in BRAZIL, so I went there, and taught there. It was AMAZING by all measures. However, the money was NOT amazing. I barely survived financially. That's pretty much everyone's experiences with most countries outside of well-paying Korea, Japan, and China. The pay is low in China, but as they give you a place to live, and the cost of living is low, it offers a great life, as long as you aren't trying to travel the world on that income.

In short, GO FOR the country of your dreams. But, if you don't have any particular passion for any particular country, and just want to go abroad and teach English, than South Korea is probably your best bet by large margins. I might also say China is another decent one to do that, just because there are so many teaching english jobs there like Korea.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:00 AM

408 posts, read 996,914 times
Quote:
I am from USA and have been reading about how other countries want English speaking individuals to teach in other countries. This would probably be the only way I could explore other cultures in person. Any thoughts on the best countries to teach in? I do not have a teaching degree but do have a Bachelor's in Psychology, Minor Sociology. I currently work in a psychiatric unit in a hospital setting but I have worked with other groups as well. I find the concept of going to another country very fascinating. I am a very openminded person to other peoples views and belief's and would like to explore the teaching option.
Remember that when you go abroad to teach English, you will also be competing against people with certificates and master's. Master's will give you better opportunities, and may be worth investing into if you are serious about the profession. It would take up to two years, whereas certificates are quicker of course.

From what I understand, if you are white and American, Japan and South Korea will gladly accept you (eventually). When I graduate from my ESL program, I'd like to go to China (and Taiwan). Why? I see them (or particularly, China) as the future global power which will have people with enough money to pay for ESL.

On a side note, I should actually use the word EFL (English as a foreign language, as opposed to second language) in these contexts. When you will teach abroad, it will be hard to ingrain a good sense of speaking for the students, since they won't have the opportunities to use the language (like we do in the USA with Spanish or Chinese or French in high school).

Also, investigate where you will work, since students will expect different things from you. If you work at a university, you will have students that may care more about the language and actually being good at it, as opposed to students cramming for university exams and who only expect an education that will let them pass onto better things (but not English proficiency). In Taiwan, I believe they are called "buxibans".

Wish you the best!

Old 12-26-2011, 01:17 AM

20 posts, read 37,715 times
Welcome you to teach in CHina
i'm graduated in a foreign language college here .there are some foreign teachers from Australia,no one comes from US yet..

Old 12-26-2011, 04:39 AM

635 posts, read 1,654,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerio View Post
Remember that when you go abroad to teach English, you will also be competing against people with certificates and master's. Master's will give you better opportunities, and may be worth investing into if you are serious about the profession. It would take up to two years, whereas certificates are quicker of course.

From what I understand, if you are white and American, Japan and South Korea will gladly accept you (eventually). When I graduate from my ESL program, I'd like to go to China (and Taiwan). Why? I see them (or particularly, China) as the future global power which will have people with enough money to pay for ESL.

On a side note, I should actually use the word EFL (English as a foreign language, as opposed to second language) in these contexts. When you will teach abroad, it will be hard to ingrain a good sense of speaking for the students, since they won't have the opportunities to use the language (like we do in the USA with Spanish or Chinese or French in high school).

Also, investigate where you will work, since students will expect different things from you. If you work at a university, you will have students that may care more about the language and actually being good at it, as opposed to students cramming for university exams and who only expect an education that will let them pass onto better things (but not English proficiency). In Taiwan, I believe they are
called "buxibans".

Wish you the best!
I do not intend to get my Master's Degree. Several reasons why...one big one is I already have a large amount of student debt. But I certainly do understand how it could give me an edge in the English teaching job market.

My ideal job would be to teach adults somewhere coastal. I am by no means against working with kids. I am 41...a bit older than some yet no as old as others. It was nice to hear that many countries are very (pro) older teachers. I had a very close call with the Joplin, Missouri tornado, so I want to explore and experience different cultures. It sounds like a win win proposition THANKS!

Old 12-26-2011, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserFinn View Post
Well...here are vacations in Finland:
Avoimet työpaikat - Haku hakutekijöillä=
Scroll site litlle bit down and you will find "English teachers wanted".
In Finland maybe 80% is speaking more or less english, so "daily life" is not so difficult but normally teachers need have skill to speak finnish or swedish too.
Sure there is sometimes open vacations those who speak just english, this site is regulary updated (Its official service) and maybe its worth to keep eye on it.

If you dont know anything about Finland, these maybe are helpfull:

Americans living in Finland

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki1tmKTRtcs&feature=related
Education in Finland

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqtAJ9ofPT4&feature=related
Homes in Finland

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsaUoiZ7nqI&feature=related
Some tourist stuff, concerning city of Helsinki

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKGnGEaFSJk&feature=related
Thank You! I noticed (off topic) a lot of the "World's Strongest Men," comes from those countries. I noticed the blonde hair, blue eyes too. I am a divorced female...I notice these things Of course I'd be busy teaching...right????

Wow...a lot of food for thought here. I wasn't sure if I'd be qualified in those countries. I was reading that some countries prefer Brits etc. Thanks again!

Old 12-26-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
I do not intend to get my Master's Degree. Several reasons why...one big one is I already have a large amount of student debt. But I certainly do understand how it could give me an edge in the English teaching job market.

My ideal job would be to teach adults somewhere coastal. I am by no means against working with kids. I am 41...a bit older than some yet no as old as others. It was nice to hear that many countries are very (pro) older teachers. I had a very close call with the Joplin, Missouri tornado, so I want to explore and experience different cultures. It sounds like a win win proposition THANKS!
You don't need a masters. I have one, but I'm very much in the minority. Probably not even 1% of English teachers abroad have a MA.

Which means it's certainly leverage for the cream of the crop abroad jobs. But definitely not needed to teach English abroad.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
You don't need a masters. I have one, but I'm very much in the minority. Probably not even 1% of English teachers abroad have a MA.

Which means it's certainly leverage for the cream of the crop abroad jobs. But definitely not needed to teach English abroad.
That is good to know. I am so glad to have ran across this opportunity. My son is at a great age to experience new cultures and I am at a good place in my life.

How are the flights? I know I would have to pay for my sons but...they do seem very long. Do the airlines vary on comfort?

Old 12-26-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
That is good to know. I am so glad to have ran across this opportunity. My son is at a great age to experience new cultures and I am at a good place in my life.

How are the flights? I know I would have to pay for my sons but...they do seem very long. Do the airlines vary on comfort?
Singapore Airlines is the best. Yeah it's a long flight, but not unbearable by any means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World