Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the ultimate Sin City?
Las Vegas, Nevada 14 15.05%
Los Angeles/Beverly Hills/Hollywood ,California 4 4.30%
South Florida (incl. Miami and Key West) 1 1.08%
New Orleans, Louisiana 4 4.30%
San Francisco, California 0 0%
Tijuana, Mexico 3 3.23%
Cancun, Mexico 0 0%
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 5 5.38%
Amsterdam, Netherlands 10 10.75%
Paris, France 2 2.15%
Monte Carlo, Monaco 0 0%
Moscow, Russia 1 1.08%
Macau, China 6 6.45%
Bangkok, Thailand 33 35.48%
Other 10 10.75%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:23 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,311,515 times

Advertisements

One Night in Bangkok - Murray Head (HQ Audio) - YouTube

That was what I thought of when I saw the Bangkok option, heh. But, also, shout out to David Carradine who passed away in Bangkok. Big fan here.

To answer the question though, I gotta give respect to the real Sin City: Las Vegas. Vegas is known as the Sin City. You know, "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 03:00 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,129,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Meh, Amsterdam isn't as free as it used to be. Foreigners can't even buy weed legally there anymore.
Not true.

The sex thing is overrated, too touristy, lots of better places in europe don´t expect much from the girls in the windows. There are other places, more money = better service (say starting at 100 Euro, Girls in the Window= Quickie 30 to 50 Euro although you can get also get better service for more money there too). Really outside of the US and the Moslem world Prostitution is no big deal.

The weed and hash in Holland is the best in the world and again really no big deal. Some of the stuff in the Smart Shops is kinda interesting; mushrooms are now Illegal but there are the Psylosybin Truffels which if you get the better ones are about the same thing and quite a nice but mellow trip, Herbal Extasy....

I mostly quit smoking weed years ago but do when I am in the NL a bit.
I do not go to Prositutes either but have given it a try. Really no big deal was kinda fun.

Hamburg St. Pauly should probably be on the list somewhere.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:48 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,138,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Not true.

The sex thing is overrated, too touristy, lots of better places in europe don´t expect much from the girls in the windows. There are other places, more money = better service (say starting at 100 Euro, Girls in the Window= Quickie 30 to 50 Euro although you can get also get better service for more money there too). Really outside of the US and the Moslem world Prostitution is no big deal.

The weed and hash in Holland is the best in the world and again really no big deal. Some of the stuff in the Smart Shops is kinda interesting; mushrooms are now Illegal but there are the Psylosybin Truffels which if you get the better ones are about the same thing and quite a nice but mellow trip, Herbal Extasy....

I mostly quit smoking weed years ago but do when I am in the NL a bit.
I do not go to Prositutes either but have given it a try. Really no big deal was kinda fun.

Hamburg St. Pauly should probably be on the list somewhere.
Once other countries start to legalize marijuana, and maybe if the US ever legalizes prostitution out of Nevada, Amsterdam might see a reduction in those types of visitors, which can only be a good thing.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:03 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,129,602 times
Agreed, and people will realize that Amsterdam is an interesting and historical international city and worth a visit. Love Holland and the people there! Interesting that the ratio of Dutch cannabis users to non users is less than in Germany. Althogh those that use are probably more stoned :-)

Old 03-06-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Agreed, and people will realize that Amsterdam is an interesting and historical international city and worth a visit. Love Holland and the people there! Interesting that the ratio of Dutch cannabis users to non users is less than in Germany. Althogh those that use are probably more stoned :-)
That's not surprising...I wouldn't be surprised if some people still use it because they think it's illegality makes it 'cool.' Thinking more befitting of a 14 year old.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:49 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,614,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Once other countries start to legalize marijuana, and maybe if the US ever legalizes prostitution out of Nevada, Amsterdam might see a reduction in those types of visitors, which can only be a good thing.
i find these sorts of posts confusing. the laws might be a little trickier, but how can amsterdam compare to a place like california when it comes to pot? california has a MUCH bigger pot industry, is lightyears ahead when it comes to outdoor growing, and has a slight edge for quality of indoor grows. do people really travel to amsterdam to smoke pot?

as far as prostitution goes, american mongers do not travel to amsterdam for sex. thailand and the philippines are the biggest destinations at the moment. brazil used to be top three, but has declined due to the rise of the real. colombia is number three at the moment. then you have more regional destinations (like east coast guys flying to sosua on the weekends, socal guys driving to tijuana on the weekends). amsterdam is not even on the radar for the average american monger.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:00 PM

23,265 posts, read 29,118,234 times
I voted Tijuana, but it was a diffficult choice, as I've been to Bangkok a few times, to their famous Pat Pong red light district.

Being Gay, it was a bit easier in Bangkok, as they give you a choice: Men or women prostitutes. In Tijuana, if you walk around the Zona Norte district, there's one choice: women!

But, with enough trips there, I soon learned the male prostitutes hang out at the Gay bars/Santa Cecilia plaza district, and on a Saturday night, they're everywhere!

I also like running into the Pharmacy touts there: Need some Percosets? You can buy them here!

As far as the city I live in, Las Vegas, I'm surprised any number of visitors haven't filed a class action lawsuit against this city advertising itself as Sin City! Only when they create a Tijuana style Zona Norte district or a Pat Pong type district, will they be allowed to call itself Sin City!

Old 03-07-2012, 06:18 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,993,453 times
I pick Amsterdam, but for my country Australia I pick Melbourne.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
I pick Amsterdam, but for my country Australia I pick Melbourne.
Haha why Melbourne?

To most people at least Sydney has a reputation of having a few 'seedy' areas but I know Melbourne has a few too. St. Kilda used to have that reputation but not anymore.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:42 PM

344 posts, read 1,054,511 times
All the people voting for Vegas have never heard of Macau apparently. Think Vegas is the gambling capital of the world? think again. Not even close......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World