Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Unique U.S. State?
New York 5 9.62%
California 12 23.08%
New Mexico 16 30.77%
Florida 6 11.54%
Louisiana 17 32.69%
Maine 2 3.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 05:31 PM

88,869 posts, read 85,323,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Were Hawaii an option, it'd likely be ahead of everywhere else. It has its own native language with nearly thousand years of history and independent development along with an indigenous culture to go along with it as well as a fairly recent history of being its own country. Added to that is a climate with native flora and fauna found nowhere else on Earth due to its fairly extreme isolation. On top of that you have a rich latter day mixing of cultures with the native Hawaiians, Filipinos, Japanese, Portuguese, Puerto Ricans, Chinese, and mainland US Americans creating an incredibly diverse culture with its own unique cuisine, culture, slang, and music.
Yes, I think Hawaii wins hands down for all the reasons you mentioned. Maybe that's why the OP didn't include it in the poll.

You forgot that it's our only island state, too. Rhode Isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 05:37 PM

7,161 posts, read 12,726,302 times
I've got to mention New Mexico. When we visited there, we were struck by the unique architecture, cuisine, art, the pueblos, and vistas. It seemed the most unified state we've visited as far as culture, though Louisiana is a close second.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:36 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,560,199 times
California
Alpha city and Beta city in the same state. Weather you don't get in the other states (in southern california) Variety of landscapes.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:40 PM

441 posts, read 888,356 times
Louisiana for the culture for me. It seems to be Very different to most other states

Old 01-02-2012, 06:46 PM

27,729 posts, read 28,843,823 times
I've been to many states in the U.S. And no place felt particularly "foreign" to me, like going to another country does. There's ethnic diversity, but that can be found in many different U.S. cities. So there's nothing that unique or surprising about it.

If you want to see a totally different culture and way of life in the U.S., then the closest thing would probably be some of the native American reservations out in the west. They still use U.S. currency and speak English though.

I haven't been to Hawaii though, so I'll have to wait to compare that.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 01-02-2012 at 07:10 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 05:53 PM

637 posts, read 1,029,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I've got to mention New Mexico. When we visited there, we were struck by the unique architecture, cuisine, art, the pueblos, and vistas. It seemed the most unified state we've visited as far as culture, though Louisiana is a close second.

I totally agree, they even have to put NewMexico, USA on their license
Sometimes call center employees think their calling from mexico

Old 01-03-2012, 07:12 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,448,558 times
I would say Hawaii if I were too lazy to read the poll like most of the people commenting on this thread.

That is why I voted New Mexico which I know from extensive personal experience. Louisiana second. If you were to single out NYC against the other options, I would have put it first since moving from there to New Mexico felt like moving to milquetoast, middle-America by comparison.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:41 PM

37,307 posts, read 39,701,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I would say Hawaii if I were too lazy to read the poll like most of the people commenting on this thread.

That is why I voted New Mexico which I know from extensive personal experience. Louisiana second. If you were to single out NYC against the other options, I would have put it first since moving from there to New Mexico felt like moving to milquetoast, middle-America by comparison.
Eh, there were multiple comments on questioning Hawaii's exclusion and the original post points at no particular reason for it to be excluded save for it slipping his mind a bit.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:59 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,991,572 times
Alaska is my thought, I went there years back, I like remote area's, its the most beautiful place I've seen, I'm sorry that I never drove up to the town referred to as the North Pole, I cannot think of the name of that town.

I remember riding a boat to a place up there and a small plane back, you could not get there by car. There were so many bald eagles there, in trees and walking around a river eating fish, there had to be over 40 bald eagles, a sight to behold.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:40 AM

10,259 posts, read 15,998,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, I'm kind of interested in hearing the answer to this one, too.

If Massachusetts is different, then hell, so is New Jersey.
Massachusetts with its liberalism and lack of religiosity is uniquely left of the American mainstream. They were the first state to legalize gay marriage and how have a statewide health insurance system which no other state would have done, in many many Southern and heartland states are filing lawsuits against Obamacare. Massachusetts is also very open to taxes more so than even New Jersey or new York. The New England Liberal certainly is very far from mainstream America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World