Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 08:50 PM

26,733 posts, read 22,400,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Unlike the US, Afro-Brazilian culture was more integrated into mainstream Brazilian culture.
Why would that be surprising? After all, Brazil was not founded by Anglo-Saxons, was it not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 09:27 PM

26,803 posts, read 37,843,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think an ethnicity is a subset of a race. For example the white race includes ethnicities like English, Irish, German, Italian, Swedish, etc and the Asian race includes ethnicities like Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.

I'm actually curious the difference between an ethnic group and a tribe. I mean the Cherokees, Apaches, Navajo, and Chippewa are all considered tribes even though they have different languages and cultures that probably differed as much as between the Germans and French for example yet they are all part of the Native American race which I honestly think is artificially constructed since the Navajos and Cherokee probably didn't even know each other until they both ended up in the USA.
I have always thought that the Cherokees, Mohawks, Sioux, etc. were basically equivalent to Hungarians, Slovaks, Danes, etc., and that the only reason they are not considered as such is the geopolitical history of the region in which they live.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:44 PM

99 posts, read 253,875 times
IMO:

1) The main thing is a mythos of a shared origin and/or mission. Often there is a genetic basis to this origin, but just as often there isn't, and really it doesn't matter if it really is as long as people view themselves as being akin.
2) Usually ethnic groups have one language they share, but there are some exceptions to this.
3) Religion is also a major factor in some cases, though no ethnic group is 100% of any one religion because religion is personal opinion

Old 10-12-2014, 01:45 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,898,274 times
Quote:
A couple of comparisons got me thinking. About the concept of 'ethnic group' and the difference between it and a 'nationality.' In many parts of the world the two are basically synonymous in name: in Japan, even if you have lived there for generations you will never be a Japanese person. Many Japanese consider Japanese Americans, even if they've been in the US for generations, as basically Japanese. I think the Chinese too often hold on to their identity after a long time. I was reading about the Chinese Thai community and how assimilated they are. Since many have been in Thailand for centuries, have totally assimilated into Thai culture (their names, religion, society, culture.etc) and consider themselves Thai, are they still of the Chinese ethnic group? I mean the Tai came from China, and while genetically slightly different from where the later Chinese came from, still have their roots in China. It's estimated that 30-40% of Thais are of partial Chinese ancestry (I guess technically most originally came from China anyway) including many prominent politicians, businesspeople, and the royal family, which is why I guess many look East Asian to varying degrees.

How does this work in Europe? I mean some national entities in Europe are relatively young, like Germany or Italy. Would people of mainly German ancestry who have lived in France for 500 years now be considered ethnic French? Would anyone consider any of the non-Native Americans a separate ethnic group, like the Pilgrims, Appalachians or Cajuns? What about African Americans?

Why do some groups, like the Jews or Chinese, seem to cling on/be singled out moreso than other nationalities? Ultimately, aren't ethnic groups mostly about self-identification? Most nationalities/ethnic groups aren't genetically that homogenous: take Britain, for instance, a 'mongrel race.' Isn't language/national identity the main thing that should define a person, rather than the relative concept of 'ancestry'?
There is no such thing as Cajuns!

Old 10-12-2014, 01:46 PM

Ethnicity is more of a cultural/culture based concept

Old 10-12-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Unlike the US, Afro-Brazilian culture was more integrated into mainstream Brazilian culture. Brazilians themselves distinguish many 'types', not just white, black, native, mixed. I think most Brazilians do share a Brazilian ethnic identity, which includes things like speaking Portuguese, being Catholic, a love of samba, football/soccer, Brazilian food. A shared history of living in Brazil has created this new ethnic group.
But Brazil still has sub cultures and sub groups.

All of USA's peoples are integrated as U.S. Americans.

When Americans travel abroad, they see even more what binds them. This is true for Brazilians or any nationality of people that travel abroad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World