U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 12:52 PM

13,241 posts, read 11,402,645 times

Advertisements

You all do realize that the term "african" includes anyone born in Africa don't you? My point being is that there are africans that are light skinned with all typical(?) features that are recognized on darker people and there are some that are blue-black with european features. So I guess that I'm trying to figure out the op's question.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 01:02 PM

24,114 posts, read 21,843,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
You all do realize that the term "african" includes anyone born in Africa don't you? My point being is that there are africans that are light skinned with all typical(?) features that are recognized on darker people and there are some that are blue-black with european features. So I guess that I'm trying to figure out the op's question.
I guess with that definition of African, we can close this thread right away

Old 01-13-2012, 01:04 PM

5,724 posts, read 18,892,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
There is some interesting data on that site:
Black African American Demographics Geography
According to the purple table blacks in New Orleans are quite mixed.
They also mention those islands off the coast of SC and GA as the places where the most African AA's live.
African Americans are for the most part, mixed. The table just proves it. Wow even up to 20+% white. Sorry OP, you're not quite the subsaharan are you.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:13 PM

2,953 posts, read 4,797,516 times
Quote:
There is some interesting data on that site:
Black African American Demographics Geography
According to the purple table blacks in New Orleans are quite mixed.
They also mention those islands off the coast of SC and GA as the places where the most African AA's live.
Yeah but even if there is a small racial mixture, they all don't come out looking like Beyonce and Keri Hilson. That is my point.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:16 PM

2,953 posts, read 4,797,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
African Americans are for the most part, mixed. The table just proves it. Wow even up to 20+% white. Sorry OP, you're not quite the subsaharan are you.
But other places had less than 20%. Some had 11% which I don't even consider mixed or worth acknowledging.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Yeah but even if there is a small racial mixture, they all don't come out looking like Beyonce and Keri Hilson. That is my point.
Sure, one never knows which genes are concerned and how they will be expressed in the individual.

A friend of mine has an AA father and an Asian mother. While she looks more or less black, her siblings don't. They look more like Latinos. And her own kids also span quite a spectrum.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:25 PM

13,241 posts, read 11,402,645 times
Quote:
I guess with that definition of African, we can close this thread right away

yep, I concur

Old 01-13-2012, 01:42 PM

2,624 posts, read 6,730,906 times
Wow, this thread has devolved somewhat.

Let's look at the interaction between phenotype and genotype. Pictured below are seven babies. Some of them are considered to be "African American" and at least two of them aren't. Which one's aren't considered to be "African American?"

If this thread's not closed, I'll get around to posting the answer...

Old 01-13-2012, 02:00 PM

- "Considered" by whom?
- Why baby pics? Babies tend to look much more similar to each other than grown-ups do...

Hard to say, to me babies 4 and 6 don't look overly AA

Old 01-13-2012, 06:32 PM

6,087 posts, read 10,037,546 times
Nyanna, can you tell us a little about the history of your town? I know it's in the midwest and is 90% AA. Where did the typical resident emigrate from? North or south, urban or rural? Do you know of particfular states or towns? When did they come and what was the motivation for relocating?

I am wondering if there is a special circumstance that could account for your neighbors being less mixed racially than the average African American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World