U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2012, 11:12 AM

383 posts, read 685,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Nigerians who are the most similar looking to mainstream AA's.
Who said that ?

African American are a mix of different ethnic along the west coast of Africa, they don't look like a specific African ethnic. I find this on Wikipedia :

Percentages of African Americans imported into British North America and Louisiana (1700–1820)

West Central Africa: 26.1%

Bight of Biafra: 24.4%

Sierra Leone region: 15.8%

Senegambia: 14.5%

Gold Coast: 13.1%

Bight of Benin: 4.3%

Mozambique-Madagascar: 1.8%

Origins of African Americans imported into British North America and Louisiana (1700–1820)

West Central Africa: Angola, Republic Democratic of the Congo (Zaire) and Republic of the Congo (Brazzaville)

Bight of Biafra: southeasthern Nigeria through Cameroon into Gabon

Sierra Leone region: the modern countries of Guinea Bissau, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia and Ivory Coast

Senegambia: Senegal and Gambia

Gold Coast: mainly modern Ghana

Bight of Benin: modern Togo, Benin and southwestern Nigeria

Mozambique-Madagascar: Mozambique, parts of Tanzania and Madagascar

We can clearly see that there's no one group that dominates the others.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 11:34 AM

3,052 posts, read 3,851,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
There is some interesting data on that site:
Black African American Demographics Geography
According to the purple table blacks in New Orleans are quite mixed.
They also mention those islands off the coast of SC and GA as the places where the most African AA's live.
That doesn't surprise me. Africans have the most genetic diversity of any racial subgroup. That doesn't translate to different phenotypes though.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:37 AM

2,953 posts, read 4,683,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Is her name Flaviana Matata? If so that's a giveaway. Even then she looks distinctly African. I've not seen an AA with that look. The first one looks AA.
Yes, that is Flaviana. She's from Tanzania. The second girl is of Panamanian descent but she has an African American look to her.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:58 AM

4,627 posts, read 7,768,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Most african descendents in the American continent look like the people from the african region their ancestors came from.

The mixing with white and native american was minimal and those traits were lost a long time ago. It is extremely unlikely you will have any white features if if you had a white ancestor 8-10 generations ago. To say that african Americans have white feautures is beyond absurd. Many don't even have white ancestors

You can tell who is African mainly by the clothes and haircut but that's it.

Please do some research because you are very ill informed.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:10 PM

42,661 posts, read 78,567,741 times
Another factor, that I don't think has been mentioned, is that the African Americans are mostly derived from slave ancestors, who disproportionately represent the people of far West Africa, notably around Gambia and Senegal.

There are many ethnicities all around sub-Saharan Africa, from the Watusis to the Pygmies, from the Bushmen to the Ethiopians. Unless you are pretty close to Gambia or the upper Niger interior, it is unlikely you will see an African who is ethnically similar to the slaves who were sold in the Americas.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:33 PM

2,953 posts, read 4,683,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
The first one is African American and the second is West African.

The first one looks like a mix of different African tribes with a nose bridge, while the second looks more foriegn to my eyes because of her eyes and a lack of a nosebridge and rounder facial features.

Black Americans who have rounder facial features like that are not common and she would be questioned if she was from Africa, because her looks are outside of the norm of African Americans.

Instead of cherrypicked photos. Let's look at a video of random African Americans and random Nigerians who are the most similar looking to mainstream AA's.

Ignore the coloring at look at the facial structures like the placement of the eyes, eye spacing, cheekbones, nose bridges, shape of the head etc. While there is a overlap, the group of African Americans have a more watered down appearance compared to the Nigerians on the video.

African Americans from Detriot

Detroit School Of Arts Class of 2011 Senior Video - YouTube

Nigerians

BBC's Welcome to Lagos. Ep 1.6 - YouTube
I really appreciate your honest response. The same for other posters who contributed as well. I don't think I would have received such honesty if I posted this somewhere else.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:37 PM

23,709 posts, read 21,148,116 times
I also read that many slaves were not from the coastal regions at all. It was oftentimes peoples closer to the coast (Asante etc.) who caught the future slaves in the interior, where whites didn't dare go.
And no, they did not feel it was wrong, they did not think in our modern ways, like as if Africans were selling fellow Africans. To them it was more like in Europe, where the various peoples fought each other despite being Europeans.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:06 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,197,559 times
American blacks are a unique people. The conglomeration of many African tribes plus the addition of mostly British Isles European blood (with some French) and a small amount of "Five Civilized Tribes" Native American blood has made them so. The same thing is happening to the white American population, its just taking a little bit longer. Even still, when I was in England many people could peg me as an American before I opened my mouth - even when I was there long enough to buy local clothing. I look different, I am physically larger than many English, my mannerisms are different.

As much as one wants to look back and find ancestors we need to face the fact that all Americans are pulling away from their continents of origin by mixing of races and ethnic groups and a shared national culture. Even people of Mexican heritage just one generation away from Mexico look decidedly different than a recent arrival. This country is changing us all and we should be excited and proud of what we're collectively becoming.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:02 PM

11,544 posts, read 27,459,213 times
I watched a fascinating interview with history maven Louis Gates, Jr., discussing the contribution of black persons in America and the book that came out of the research. One of the most interesting tidbits revealed is the first black man to North America was a kidnapped African that arrived in the the late 16th century before the Colonies were formed. .

By this date in history Amsterdam was the busiest shipping port in the world. Within 50-years most of the Dutch farmers on Lond Island had black slaves who learned to speak the mother tongue. According to history books neither these men nor their families were mistreated as the slaves in the south were prior to the Civil War. In the old NY church records there are many entries where the black children were baptized.

I think America is a very large mixed bag on how Native Americans and kidnapped slaves were treated by the government and by "we the people." .

Old 01-14-2012, 05:10 PM

24,682 posts, read 49,094,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Another factor, that I don't think has been mentioned, is that the African Americans are mostly derived from slave ancestors, who disproportionately represent the people of far West Africa, notably around Gambia and Senegal.

There are many ethnicities all around sub-Saharan Africa, from the Watusis to the Pygmies, from the Bushmen to the Ethiopians. Unless you are pretty close to Gambia or the upper Niger interior, it is unlikely you will see an African who is ethnically similar to the slaves who were sold in the Americas.
Those aware of history will know this. Obama's father came from a western province of Kenya near the Uganda border. From what I remember he looks like Idi Amin rather than a typical Kenyan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World