Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:51 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,119,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
We have quite a few immigrants from Africa nowadays. Those from east Africa - Sudan, Kenya etc can be extremely dark; some are basically black not brown, darker than West Africans. In the US I think blacks in the north might be a little lighter on average than those in the South as well because of more mixing. But then again northern cities are very segregated so maybe not.

Okay, where I am from there are alot of Nigerians, Ghanians and Jamaicans and they range in many skin tones like African Americans. Not all of them are very dark--many are just in the middle brown--and you have some who are light complected.

I am AA and live up North--don't know if we are more mixed than those down south. I've never lived down there to make a comparison. But we are not all light complected up here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 12:14 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,182 times
I think African-Americans have a different "look" to them- they are larger in physical frame too, than the Blacks in Africa or the Caribbean...
so many things, such as mannerisms, dressing, hairstyles, makeup, "swagger", physically distinguish a race of one region from the same race in another region...

Old 01-07-2012, 12:18 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
It's not scientific but I found this interesting:

African american - Google Search

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...w=1440&bih=799

Some people in Ghana do seem rather light, especially the women, but than again maybe they also use skin whitening creams etc?

Old 01-07-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
It's not scientific but I found this interesting:

Some people in Ghana do seem rather light, especially the women, but than again maybe they also use skin whitening creams etc?
no some africans are just naturally brown, its not because of skin lightening creams.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I think African-Americans have a different "look" to them- they are larger in physical frame too, than the Blacks in Africa or the Caribbean...
so many things, such as mannerisms, dressing, hairstyles, makeup, "swagger", physically distinguish a race of one region from the same race in another region...
I live next door to Jamaicans and their physical frames are no different than African Americans. Same for Africans their frames are no different either. However, I do agree with the mannerisms, and dressing can be different sometimes. The African women wear the same type of hairstyles that AA women do.

Last edited by nyanna; 01-07-2012 at 01:00 AM..

Old 01-07-2012, 01:29 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Its just like whites from the south look so much different than whites from the north.
They look more pale,with lighter hair and skin. They also seem taller and bigger. I know that in Nj the whites are more tan with dark hair and eyes. Comes from Italy.

Ex: Theresa Guidice vs Taylor Swift.

I don't think Africans and African americans look different. They look the same.
Some people don't that there are light skinned people in West Africa,even ones with slanted eyes.
I think some AA use the excuse of having white in their family tree to make themselves seem superior to other AA who may be or look unmixed(in appearance). They don't realize that light skin and long hair could have came from Africa.

Another thing,that caucasian gene may come from Africa too,except it probably came from Arabs who freely traded with Bantu peoples,even forming a mixed tribe called the Hausa,and Fulani. Look them up,they were brought over on slave ships too.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
no some africans are just naturally brown, its not because of skin lightening creams.
Yes but some of the examples were very light. They're either mixed or they bleach their skin.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Its just like whites from the south look so much different than whites from the north.
They look more pale,with lighter hair and skin. They also seem taller and bigger. I know that in Nj the whites are more tan with dark hair and eyes. Comes from Italy.

I don't think Africans and African americans look different. They look the same.
Some people don't that there are light skinned people in West Africa,even ones with slanted eyes.
I think some AA use the excuse of having white in their family tree to make themselves seem superior to other AA who may be or look unmixed(in appearance). They don't realize that light skin and long hair could have came from Africa.

Another thing,that caucasian gene may come from Africa too,except it probably came from Arabs who freely traded with Bantu peoples,even forming a mixed tribe called the Hausa,and Fulani. Look them up,they were brought over on slave ships too.
Taylor Swift comes from Pennsylvania. I find apart from genetics, people in the Sunbelt actually tend to be more tanned, with the Northeast being the exception because of the Jews and Italians. The Irish of course are a different breed.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Yes but some of the examples were very light. They're either mixed or they bleach their skin.
i didnt see any who were very light and they dont look bleached. It's very ignorant to say that Africans who are brown must have bleached their skin, when many African tribes can be brown without any admixture or bleaching

Old 01-07-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

I don't understand...caucasion is caucasion whether it came from africa or america
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World