Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2013, 10:17 AM

16,581 posts, read 27,252,403 times

Advertisements

Citydevo, trying to explain anything scientific on City-Data can often be an impossible task but you did it very well. Yes Africa has the highest level of diversity among our species. I heard somewhere that only two genetic lines ever left Africa and that all other people on earth are decedent from those lines. Every facial feature found in the world has been found in Africa. Africa contains the shortest and some of the tallest people in the world too. Like it or not, we are all Africans "in exile" so to speak. There is no evidence modern humans mixed with Neanderthals. Modern humans differ by up to 6 mutations where as neanderthals differed from us by like 26 mutations. Citydevo if you can find this info I'd appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 04:54 PM

9,776 posts, read 14,611,517 times

By the way, according to a DNA test I did a few years ago, 1.8% of my genes actually come from Neanderthals and apparently that is below the average which is close to 3.0% among full blooded and mixed people outside Sub-Saharan Africa and mixed people and European descendants in Sub-Saharan Africa itself. People that are 100% of Sub-Saharan African extraction have exactly 0% Neanderthal DNA.

For that reason I chuckle when people say there's no evidence modern humans mixed with Neanderthals.

Ah, City-Data and its twisted ways. LOL

Last edited by AntonioR; 05-29-2013 at 05:03 PM..

Old 05-29-2013, 08:05 PM

9,005 posts, read 13,756,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydevo View Post
^ On what basis do you claim that African-Americans are "larger" than Jamaicans? Or Zulu? Don't just tender your opinion. What real data from scholars do you have to put on the table to back up your claim?
This is good information.

Please tell that to some AA who think that just because they have light skin that it must have come from the white man.
I'm not saying that some of it didn't,but that its blown out of proportion.
Its like people don't realize that some lighter skin tones could have come from West Africa,as in the case of the Fulani's and Igbo's.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
This is good information.

Please tell that to some AA who think that just because they have light skin that it must have come from the white man.
Its like people don't realize that some lighter skin tones could have come from West Africa,as in the case of the Fulani's and Igbo's.
As a Black American myself, I'd have to agree with this. Many American blacks have this false sense of "pan-Africanism". This believe that the entire continent is some harmonious place where everyone has the exact same skin tone and are somehow all related. Just look at the reaction to Obama being president. Sure I like him and I'm glad our country has let go enough of it's prejudice to elect him. However, he is technically not African American. His American part is white! Our ancestors didn't come from Kenya.

Anyway, I digress but yes there are people in West Africa who vary a good deal in skin tones too.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:18 AM

319 posts, read 620,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
I was lurking in a few threads that discussed African Americans, and there were many posters who commented that AAs tend to be lighter than Black people from Africa which is totally not true. I happen to be African American, and darkskin, and in my area there are many who are as well. Is it a regional thing? Where some ppl live do they happen to see more lighter toned AAs than darkskinned ones?
Why is this relevant?

Old 05-30-2013, 10:48 AM

9,776 posts, read 14,611,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
That's because in the vast majority of cases it is from European ancestry. AA's have a huge problem accepting this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal44
But...

FULANI:

"The Fulani (Fula) people of the western Sahel seem to have a relatively old West Eurasian component which has distinct affinities with the “Maghrebi” element discerned by Henn et al. In fact, the non-Sub-Saharan African ancestry of the Fulani is almost exclusively of this origin."

"Probably from Classical Antiquity down to the Muslim period. Observe that many North Africa groups have a red “European” element."

"In all likelihood the West Eurasian component came to the Fulani via the Tuareg or a related or antecedent population. So if you typed the Tuareg you would probably get a better sense of the “pure” “Maghrebi” genetic profile."
The Fulani have an old "Berber" (?) element : Gene Expression

"Fulani (fōläˈnē) [key], people of W Africa, numbering approximately 14 million. They are of mixed sub-Saharan African and Berber origin."
http://www.infoplease.com/encycloped...ty/fulani.html

"According to Sir Alan Burns in "The History of Nigeria," published in 1942, the Fulani, originally a light skinned, mixed race people of North African Berber stock, infiltrated northern Nigeria in the 13Th Century."
http://nigeriaworld.com/articles/2006/nov/243.html

Some DNA studies of West Africans showing ancient Eurasian admixture. | Mathilda's Anthropology

I haven't seen anything pointing towards possible admixture in the Igbo population, so you may have a point in that part of your argument. Or it could be that they haven't had much DNA testing yet.

Only a DNA test puts the racial admixture in African Americans to rest and on average, AA's have some 10% non-African genes. Many AA's seem to have a serious problem accepting this reality.

Last edited by AntonioR; 05-30-2013 at 10:58 AM..

Old 05-30-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
That's because in the vast majority of cases it is from European ancestry. AA's have a huge problem accepting this.

But...

FULANI:

"The Fulani (Fula) people of the western Sahel seem to have a relatively old West Eurasian component which has distinct affinities with the “Maghrebi†element discerned by Henn et al. In fact, the non-Sub-Saharan African ancestry of the Fulani is almost exclusively of this origin."

"Probably from Classical Antiquity down to the Muslim period. Observe that many North Africa groups have a red “European†element."

"In all likelihood the West Eurasian component came to the Fulani via the Tuareg or a related or antecedent population. So if you typed the Tuareg you would probably get a better sense of the “pure†“Maghrebi†genetic profile."
The Fulani have an old "Berber" (?) element : Gene Expression

"Fulani (fōläˈnē) [key], people of W Africa, numbering approximately 14 million. They are of mixed sub-Saharan African and Berber origin."
Fulani | Infoplease.com

"According to Sir Alan Burns in "The History of Nigeria," published in 1942, the Fulani, originally a light skinned, mixed race people of North African Berber stock, infiltrated northern Nigeria in the 13Th Century."
Nigeriaworld Feature Article - The December 16th PDP presidential nominating convention and Fulani reclaimation of political power in Nigeria

Some DNA studies of West Africans showing ancient Eurasian admixture. | Mathilda's Anthropology

I haven't seen anything pointing towards possible admixture in the Igbo population, so you may have a point in that part of your argument. Or it could be that they haven't had much DNA testing yet.

Only a DNA test puts the racial admixture in African Americans to rest and on average, AA's have some 10% non-African genes. Many AA's seem to have a serious problem accepting this reality.
This part is true too. I've heard as many as 30% of AA have some European genes. I for one have a lot myself. However the rest of your post touches on something else I've heard but not found any info on. That is, West Africans tend to have more in common with Europeans than they do with people from other parts of Africa (East Africa for example). As mentioned, Africa is where humans show the greatest genetic diversity so I think it's very possible. Like you said however, more study is needed. I mentioned, can't remember if it was this thread or another that I watched this documentary called "The Human Family Tree". One black American guy was placed with Europeans after the genetic testing.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:14 AM

578 posts, read 957,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
I was lurking in a few threads that discussed African Americans, and there were many posters who commented that AAs tend to be lighter than Black people from Africa which is totally not true. I happen to be African American, and darkskin, and in my area there are many who are as well. Is it a regional thing? Where some ppl live do they happen to see more lighter toned AAs than darkskinned ones?
Real traditional ethnic African Americans look mixed of African and European descent and some Native. They don't look the same as many continental Africans

Old 07-27-2013, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This part is true too. I've heard as many as 30% of AA have some European genes. I for one have a lot myself. However the rest of your post touches on something else I've heard but not found any info on. That is, West Africans tend to have more in common with Europeans than they do with people from other parts of Africa (East Africa for example). As mentioned, Africa is where humans show the greatest genetic diversity so I think it's very possible. Like you said however, more study is needed. I mentioned, can't remember if it was this thread or another that I watched this documentary called "The Human Family Tree". One black American guy was placed with Europeans after the genetic testing.
Most African Americans (AAs) have anywhere between 20% to 30% European ancestry. And that doesn't even include the Native American that many have. It could be even higher. So AAs are mixed!

Old 07-27-2013, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
As a Black American myself, I'd have to agree with this. Many American blacks have this false sense of "pan-Africanism". This believe that the entire continent is some harmonious place where everyone has the exact same skin tone and are somehow all related. Just look at the reaction to Obama being president. Sure I like him and I'm glad our country has let go enough of it's prejudice to elect him. However, he is technically not African American. His American part is white! Our ancestors didn't come from Kenya.

Anyway, I digress but yes there are people in West Africa who vary a good deal in skin tones too.
Please. AAs are considered white or non African in many African nations. Africans helped to sell other Africans to Arab slave captors and traders and masters and to Europeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World