Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2014, 07:55 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Ohhh that's really rude so because I'm not a black american I can't understand your feelings.
No, what I said was that you're not qualified to tell me how to react to the society I live in just as I cannot possibly attempt to sit here and tell you about French society. Telling others about where they live when the person doing the telling doesn't live there is a common theme on these forums and I'd sure like to understand why some seem to think that's ok.
Quote:
Do you think in France, there is no racism against black or they are not associate with violence.
Even if I'm not a black american, I know a lot about your society because I educate myself.
I can read up on French society all I want and know more than someone who hasn't. I still won't know what a person who lives it day to day would know.
Quote:
It is like you say that if a historian is not part of your society so that make him unqualified to talk about it even if he did a lot of research about it. (I'm not saying I'm a historian)
Negated your own point.
Quote:
I am definitely qualified to talk about that not as you but still. What is sure I won't be talking with someone who reacts like you, so ok I won't comment your posts again.
Not responding to my posts will not make what I'm saying any less true. However you making that decision will only make you feel better so go right ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 07:55 PM

89 posts, read 200,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
I know that! Please RE READ ALL of what was written. Reading is a very fundamental skill.

My point is to show the hypocrisy and flaws in people that view Hispanics and Arabs as their own races or groups even though they are not races, but yet they will consider mixed race NON Hispanics as black and mixed race non Arabs as black.

If biracials and mixed multiracial people of partial black and Partial African ancestry are soley black or black all alone by itself, then he needs to consider George Zimmerman, Jennifer Lopez, Rosie Perez, to be black. Can't have it both ways.
I did read all, I was just answering to your question even if it wasn't address to me. I just wanted to give you my point of view !!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me, if for exemple your grandmother is irish and the rest of your family is mexican, there will be nothing wrong saying this person is irish. But what will be wrong is saying that this person is just Irish or just Mexican.

So if a person is biracial white and black and someone is gonna tell her oh you are black, yes she is but she is also white !

Old 10-28-2014, 08:04 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,904,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linana75 View Post
I did read all, I was just answering to your question even if it wasn't address to me. I just wanted to give you my point of view !!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me, if for exemple your grandmother is irish and the rest of your family is mexican, there will be nothing wrong saying this person is irish. But what will be wrong is saying that this person is just Irish or just Mexican.

So if a person is biracial white and black and someone is gonna tell her oh you are black, yes she is but she is also white !
Ah ok!!!

Then we are on the same page!

Old 10-28-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
No, what I said was that you're not qualified to tell me how to react to the society I live in just as I cannot possibly attempt to sit here and tell you about French society. Telling others about where they live when the person doing the telling doesn't live there is a common theme on these forums and I'd sure like to understand why some seem to think that's ok.I can read up on French society all I want and know more than someone who hasn't. I still won't know what a person who lives it day to day would know.Negated your own point.Not responding to my posts will not make what I'm saying any less true. However you making that decision will only make you feel better so go right ahead.
No that doesn't make me feel better I'm actually sad you think this way.
Even if I'm not part of your society, I still can relate to it because there is no such difference between our societies, that's why I said we dont forget but let's move on, thats all I've said, I didn't tell you to react this way or whatever.
Now I can understand your reaction if someone who doesn't know what you have been through as black american to move on but with me you act like I'm white and I dont know what I'm talking about.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
Ah ok!!!

Then we are on the same page!
voilà

Old 10-28-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
No that doesn't make me feel better I'm actually sad you think this way.
Even if I'm not part of your society, I still can relate to it because there is no such difference between our societies, that's why I said we dont forget but let's move on, thats all I've said, I didn't tell you to react this way or whatever.
Now I can understand your reaction if someone who doesn't know what you have been through as black american to move on but with me you act like I'm white and I dont know what I'm talking about.
You are so far off base here. You would have done better by sticking to your not responding to my posts claim.
Quote:
I still can relate to it because there is no such difference between our societies
So...um...your society has the same history of Jim Crow, lynch mobs, civil rights movement? Which French city was the bus boycot in? Who is the French Frederick Douglas? Martin Luther King? Malcolm X? What's the history with red-lining in France? If I have missed all this and you are able to explain it, then I will apologize. For now though, I can't see how you can say there is no such difference in our societies. You're not as educated as you seem to think you are.
Quote:
I didn't tell you to react this way or whatever.
I also didn't ask for your permission LOL
Quote:
Now I can understand your reaction if someone who doesn't know what you have been through as black american to move on but with me you act like I'm white and I don't know what I'm talking about.
No, I'm acting the same way I react to other issues when continental Europeans such as yourself (The British seem to get it more for the most part), attempt to tell me about where I live. I just had a similar reaction to some shhmuck from the Netherlands trying to tell me about California when I live here and they don't. this type of behavior from some of you is really ignorant.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You are so far off base here. You would have done better by sticking to your not responding to my posts claim.So...um...your society has the same history of Jim Crow, lynch mobs, civil rights movement? Which French city was the bus boycot in? Who is the French Frederick Douglas? Martin Luther King? Malcolm X? What's the history with red-lining in France? If I have missed all this and you are able to explain it, then I will apologize. For now though, I can't see how you can say there is no such difference in our societies. You're not as educated as you seem to think you are.I also didn't ask for your permission LOLNo, I'm acting the same way I react to other issues when continental Europeans such as yourself (The British seem to get it more for the most part), attempt to tell me about where I live. I just had a similar reaction to some shhmuck from the Netherlands trying to tell me about California when I live here and they don't. this type of behavior from some of you is really ignorant.
All right whatever.....do you really need to insult me when you say I'm not educated as I think I am. Why do you make idea of people you dont know ?
You dont know me, I haven't been rude to you so please respect me.
I was just giving my opinions, you are not accepting them, no problem but dont be rude or insulting me, we dont need to go there.
I got your point I'm not a black American so ok...

Old 10-28-2014, 08:52 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,904,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Ohhhhh

Your talking about when one of their parents are white then yes they should feel proud of both and acknowledged both. Over here its different.

In the US there's something called the "one drop rule" google it, that will answer your question.

In summary its basically during American history people with African/black blood would be excluded and grouped with the Africans even if they were half white/European. So it stems from that.

For example Obama is mixed race but people say he's black.
One drop rule is actually illegal. One drop rule only existed from the 1940s to 1967, not before or after these years and time period, and it was only in certain states. All the way up until the 1930s, mualatto, colored, mixed etc existed as separate standalone racial categories. LUCKILY, mixed race identity and consciousness was restored after the 2 decade period of one droppism. Even then there were always mixed identified and muted mixed race peoples in the USA and giving it a title gives it acknowledgement.

Historically and not that long ago, in states like Ohio, Obama would have been allowed to be legally accepted as a WHITE man due to laws in various states like Ohio, that classified or allowed people to automatically be white if they had at least 1/2 European and white ancestry.

You can identify as however you please in the USA. People may perceive or treat people the way that they choose too, but self identity choice belongs to and is up to the individual. Mixed is mixed.

Last edited by SobreTodo; 10-28-2014 at 09:06 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 09:15 PM

98 posts, read 117,704 times
I am bubbling right now. I never said I agreed with the one drop rule. What I was saying is that anyone can choose to identify with whatever they choose to identify as! If a mixed person has a black experience they have every right to identify and mark that they are black! No one should stop them!

Most whites aren't mixed with black. Only four percent of the white population, and they on average only score one percent. Secondly, where is the proof that any of the Hispanic people you named has any measurable amount of black blood?

The Ohio thing you mentioned is funny considering mixed people on average pass as black, but never as white. Of course their is exceptions to every rule.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
All right whatever.....do you really need to insult me when you say I'm not educated as I think I am. Why do you make idea of people you dont know ?
You dont know me, I haven't been rude to you so please respect me.
I was just giving my opinions, you are not accepting them, no problem but dont be rude or insulting me, we dont need to go there.
I got your point I'm not a black American so ok...
If you can "make ideas" of societies you don't know, you don't have any room to talk.
Your opinions attempt to disregard reality so no, I am not accepting them.

Let me explain it to you another way; one can research and read about a place all they want. That will give you knowledge and I commend you for that. However, do not make the mistake of thinking that your knowledge from books is a substitute for day to day life. It just isn't. And it's not just because you're not Black American. Non Black Americans usually don't know either and even some Black Americans don't know. I know this from experience because I used to be one of them.

Where I grew up, I never had to think about race, mine or anyone else's. However when I moved to Southern California, everything I had always heard about continued racial discrimination and the lasting legacy of past policies became apparent to me. For the 1st time, I was aware that I was a hyphenated American and not just an American. Despite this lesson, there is still a lot that I haven't experienced. I'm reminded of that from other Black Americans right here on these forums from time to time. People who live in other parts of the US where things are not as good as they are in Southern California. Now I've heard that race relations are worse in places like the Midwest and South from having read about them and researched them. However, I cannot know what living with that is actually like as I've never experienced it. Therefore, it is important not to tell someone else that where they live has no differences than where you live. If you haven't lived there you can't know that. You say this about the US and France but it's not even the same in every part of the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World