Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 12:04 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post
And a sub-group I am very fond of. The best looking Black women are almost entirely AAs or failing that from the Horn of Africa. Those 2 groups look obviously different in the majority of cases from the stereotypical African look.
Just out of curiosity, what's your ethnicity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 01:19 PM

5 posts, read 2,961 times
While there are many Black Americans (and Latinos and Caribbeans) who closely resemble many typical Black Africans, there are many of us who make the differences in our heritage indisputable. The features displayed by Tamron Hall, Clarke Lauren, Eva Marcille, Janelle Monae, Amara La Negra, and Justin Skye are prevalent throughout the diaspora and would be exceptional outside the obviously mixed African populations—the other cohort of black women I consistently find attractive.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:09 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
When I was in Africa (70s), most adults had been barefoot all their life, and to this day, few wear anything but flip-flops, so they can certainly be told by how they walk. That would be impossible to disguise.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:45 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
It's not genetics that is the main difference. between Africans and African-Americans. It's the culture they were brought up in. Africans are not descended from slaves of the slave trade we are familiar with and do not have the generational baggage the AF-AM do. Africans have cultural and familial mores that have gradually disappeared in slave descendant populations in America after they were ripped out of their home villages.

It is misguided to think that Africans walk barefoot except in some rural areas. Do some research on African TV stations and you will see how modern their cities and towns are. You can't tell the difference between there and others around the world except they have wildlife unlike anywhere else living on the outskirts rather than deer, raccoons, possums etc.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:01 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
It's not genetics that is the main difference. between Africans and African-Americans. It's the culture they were brought up in. Africans are not descended from slaves of the slave trade we are familiar with and do not have the generational baggage the AF-AM do. Africans have cultural and familial mores that have gradually disappeared in slave descendant populations in America after they were ripped out of their home villages.

It is misguided to think that Africans walk barefoot except in some rural areas. Do some research on African TV stations and you will see how modern their cities and towns are. You can't tell the difference between there and others around the world except they have wildlife unlike anywhere else living on the outskirts rather than deer, raccoons, possums etc.
Glad you handled that one.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:52 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,038 times
As asinine as the question/topic is...for all of those whom think they can distinguish a black american from an african, can you even tell the difference between someone of caribbean descent and a black person whose parent were born in America?

I have an ex whose mother is from Cameroon and Father is Nigerian...she looks like a black woman from America....and on the flip side of that, Im a black american living in Rio and unless I start speaking English nobody will say Im Aamerican...of course unless I dress like we do in the states...

Old 11-09-2018, 01:23 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post

Ghana (for example) officially classifies towns of under 5,000 as rural, and they comprise 67% of the people, who do not wear modern manufactured shoes. How many people ale wearing Nikes in this video? How many African Americans develop th posture of carrying heavy loads for miles on their heads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq6crEVVC-4

I did not say all or most are barefoot -- I said "few wear anything but flip-flops", which distinctly alters your gait.

Last edited by cebuan; 11-09-2018 at 01:39 AM..

Old 02-16-2019, 03:10 PM

758 posts, read 1,227,453 times
For the most part I would say yes, but there is some overlap. What I notice is the different features and skin color. The AAs
who are dark-skinned for the most part still have a brown tinge to it, and they may have European facial features. Many or
most West Africans are down-right black with full West African facial features. Also the body language and the manner of dress
or lets say NON-Americanized people.

The overlap is there are some AAs who are very dark and have full West African features and there are some Africans who are
light or medium brown like many AAs. I have been fooled on several occasions. Many of the lighter Africans still had the strong
West African hair and facial features. While many AAs have one or the other in varying degrees but not the whole package.

Some West Africans remind me of AAs that I know in terms of facial features so there are big differences along with overlaps.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:24 AM

83 posts, read 64,825 times
Africans dont all look alike

East Africans are different from West Africans (which is where black Americans come from). Southern Africans also look different.

With that being said, blacks from the US are just partially African in origin, most are mixed race or mulatos (As latn Americans would call them)

Old 09-21-2019, 07:15 AM

19 posts, read 42,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Sometimes what we THINK are facial features only unique to folks of mixed-Euro descent, are actually quite common among certain West African groups. I'm sure someone like Sanaa Lathan, would seem diffirent from what people THINK all West Africans look like, but Sanaa Lathan can easily pass for any variation of a West African. Just like the Igbo Miss Nigeria Adaeze Igwe that I posted. She looks like many light-skinned Black-Americans and she is Nigerian:

Sometimes what we think is only unique to African-Americans who have Euro roots, is actually quite common in parts of Africa.
Her facial bone structure looks different. I woud think light skin Haitian at first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World