Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 11:51 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,119,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I'd say not. See above.

AA's that have ancestors who have been in geographical flux, e.g., most northern blacks, are best representative.
How are you going to disregard the ENTIRE south as not being representative of what most AAs look like? You are simply choosing one whole region over the other. Not to mention, there are northern Black people who look like those down south.

What's so funny is that Beyonce and her mother are from the South
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 11:51 AM

690 posts, read 1,202,243 times
Africans are generally skinny. African Americans (and americans in general!) are not!

Old 01-13-2012, 11:52 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post

She doesn't bleach her skin.

It's wrong to generalize & accuse indigenous Africans who are brownskin of bleaching their skin. Her look is the norm in Nigeria. Being brownskin is not out of the ordinary

Does every Caucasion with darkskin tan? Should I accuse the Italians of sitting in the sun even though some are naturally darker ?
I didn't speak of her. She is quite dark actually. Without the bright sunshine/light and maybe even flash she would seem even darker...
She looks very African in my view, also regarding her features.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:53 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,647 times
Quote:
So what if they do? Are they not apart of the African American community? I feel like there's a bit of prejudice by preferring to choose the lighter more mixed looking AAs as a representation of the black community over the ones down south.
You're on a bit of a mission because you feel that there is a preference in choosing lighter AA's as more representative. Which may or may not be true, but that doesn't change the fact that AA's who have ancestors who have been in geographical flux are obviously more representative of the AA population than insular, interbreeding communities. Smaller genetic pool = less representative.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
How are you going to disregard the ENTIRE south as not being representative of what most AAs look like? You are simply choosing one whole region over the other. Not to mention, there are northern Black people who look like those down south.
I'm not disregarding the entire South. Just like I said, people who have AA ancestors pulled from all regions of the US are more likely to be representative of the AA population. That's so heir apparent that it's laughable to attempt to argue against.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
You're on a bit of a mission because you feel that there is a preference in choosing lighter AA's as more representative. Which may or may not be true, but that doesn't change the fact that AA's who have ancestors who have been in geographical flux are obviously more representative of the AA population than insular, interbreeding communities. Smaller genetic pool = less representative.

Can you please explain to me why they are more of a representaiton?

Are the AAs from the south not as African American as the ones who are up north? I just don't see any real valid reason why they should not be counted. They are apart of the AA community

Quote:
I'm not disregarding the entire South. Just like I said, people who have AA ancestors pulled from all regions of the US are more likely to be representative of the AA population. That's so heir apparent that it's laughable to attempt to argue against
That is not a valid reason.

Most AAs up north came from the south.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Can you please explain to me why they are more of a representaiton?
I just explained to you. Re-read the quote above. I don't know if you're dull or being deliberately obtuse.

Interbreeding within a smaller community = less genetic diversity = less representative.

That's like saying the Han are as good of a representation of what Chinese people look like than residents of Beijing. Makes no sense.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Ca
Most AAs up north came from the south.
Your reading comprehension level seems suspect.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I just explained to you. Re-read the quote above. I don't know if you're dull or being deliberately obtuse.

Interbreeding within a smaller community = less genetic diversity = less representative.

That's like saying the Han are as good of a representation of what Chinese people look like than residents of Beijing. Makes no sense.
The black people in LA should be included in that represenation, not excluded because you don't think they have enough genetic diveristy. Especially when I see black people walking around in the midwest who look just like them

Old 01-13-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
The black people in LA should be included in that represenation, not excluded because you don't think they have enough genetic diveristy. Especially when I see black people walking around in the midwest who look just like them
You can see black people anywhere that look like them. They still wouldn't be as representative as blacks whose ancestors had a wider gene pool.

This is pretty elementary to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World