Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 12:29 PM

190 posts, read 706,532 times

Advertisements

[quote=jtur88;22529834]And Derek Jeter and Russell Martin of the New York Yankees.

...wentworth miller

Old 01-13-2012, 06:54 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Some actually are Middle Eastern. On the Iberian peninsula there have been various settlements of Phoenicians.

http://fr.riadreviews.com/assets/ima...tradeposts.jpg
--------------

According to DNA studies, the presence of Middle Easteners markers in scarce in the Iberian peninsula but very abondant in Italy.

The presence of Middle Easteners in Western Europe dates back to the Roman Empire.

During the Roman Empire, Middle Easteners (called Greco-Syrians) were all important as merchantmen and intellectuals in Western Europe. There were very large communities, but they were Christians and they became part of the local population. Jews did not merge with the population.

Greco-Syrians melted into the European population and left no trace, only today, thanks to DNA we know of their importance.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:31 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
In Palestine, Lebanon and Syria there are lots of people with blue eyes...

Including Bashar Al-Assad, the president of Syria:
They are descended from the Adyghes, commonly referred to as Circassian, from a former country in the Caucasus region:

Adyghe people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-14-2012, 02:58 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,484,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
A white/black baby in 98% of cases will clearly show the black features, even if the color of skin will be much lighter than usual. Black genes are more dominant - as simple as that.
Dark hair/dark eyes are more dominant in Europeans as well, comparably to blond hair/blue eyes by the way too.)
I still don't understand how/why ancestry "doesn't have anything to do with it," because you carry the genes of your ancestors.

Because the word "back" and the word "white" do denote colors. Simple. And you haven't seen many mixed children, I guess. It is more often that you think. You must be living in China or something.

What's there is to fight about?

Do you even UNDERSTAND what I was saying? Obviously, my point was that people still call those two persons black, even though they differ in their appearance and obviously have different "mixtures", if you will. So, it's not unreasonable to call a lot of Arabs white. I even explained it refers to the appearance rather than the ancestry. People will call somebody black just based on their appearance (and vice versa). I usually don't have a DNA testing kit on me, you know.
In the U.S., the word brown is not used, so white and black are the only actual colors used to describe people. For instance, I do know that Brazil does use the word brown on its census and everybody who is brown is supposed to check that box. From what I was told, it does not refer to the ancestry of people but to their appearance. That's just another example.

No, being white does not mean to be "blonde and pale" - Europeans for the most part are a mixture of different European tribes, that's why there is a big variety of European looks.
And if you are a Black person of a much lighter complexion - chances are you have some white ancestors in your background, so what?

Uh, never-mind. You obviously do not understand what I was saying. Read it again, please.

PS. Of course Beyonce Knowles had plastic operation. Just look at her nose and lips. She wanted to look more "white," since her skin color was already lighter than usual. Again - so what? I mean what's new about it?

Wtf? Beyonce Knowles had her skin bleached? Really... You are talking about things like getting a nose job done or whatever ( I don't even know if she had any plastic surgeries ). Like this changes the complexion of your skin. LOL. Michael Jackson, on the other hand, did have his skin bleached to cover up the beige colored patches he had due to vitiligo. So NOT the same.
Again, I am talking about the appearance of people and folks usually using whatever word that seems to fit their appearance. It's quite possible that those white Arabs do have European ancestry. Historical events like the Ottoman Empire probably caused a lot of movements.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
being on of them yes, they assimilate very quickly.
not so for others.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:18 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
--------------

According to DNA studies, the presence of Middle Easteners markers in scarce in the Iberian peninsula but very abondant in Italy.

The presence of Middle Easteners in Western Europe dates back to the Roman Empire.

During the Roman Empire, Middle Easteners (called Greco-Syrians) were all important as merchantmen and intellectuals in Western Europe. There were very large communities, but they were Christians and they became part of the local population. Jews did not merge with the population.

Greco-Syrians melted into the European population and left no trace, only today, thanks to DNA we know of their importance.
Are you talking about the J haplogroup?
Sure, that genetic heritage is more common in Italy, but still, also here in southern Portugal and Spain:
J2a4h2 Y Haplogroup J-L25 DNA: J2 originated in northern Mesopotamia
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...28Y-DNA%29.svg

Old 01-14-2012, 09:00 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,057,963 times
Of course they are NOT, Only the pillsbury doughboy, Casper and Michelin man are white. The rest are "colored" people.

What is up with all these race threads in the world forum? Why is so important if someone is one or two tones lighter than the next person?

Old 01-14-2012, 09:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Quote:
Sure, that genetic heritage is more common in Italy, but still, also here in southern Portugal and Spain:
Haplogroup G is also split between Europe and the Mid East. The group got into the eastern Mediterranean, and part of them went east into Iran and Pakistan, and part of them went northwest into Europe.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:48 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,461 times
Quote:
-----------

Romans were uncouth and ignorant, they very good at negotiating and very stubborn.

Most of the technicians, engineers, accountants, a large part of all the merchantmen, shipchandlers, insurers, etc, were "Hellenistic Greeks".

So you are going to find them everywhere where the Roman presence was important. Of course, Phoenicians from Gades and Carthagineans were also Middle Easteners.

There were also present in modern day Wales, a very important place for them because of tin.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:02 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,383,538 times
I believe that the anthropological definitions are far more accurate than those invented by the common man and are subject to skin color or ethnicity only.

In the 1950's I grew up in Rochester New York in which has a large Italian population. We were considered something less than white by our Anglo-Irish-Germanic neighbors. When I was 14 we moved to Los Angles California and lo and behold I was suddenly white. Riddle me that!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.