Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 07:51 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times

Advertisements

Hong Kong

People tend to be unfriendly when they're constantly navigating their way through crowds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 08:34 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
How can Russia be considered unfriendly when all those Russian women have been hooking up with western men?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:40 AM

301 posts, read 1,327,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Milton Keynes.
Please provide some further details / examples.

Thanks

Old 01-11-2012, 08:50 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's just how Chinese and most Asian culture is in general. If you bump into someone, they generally don't say 'sorry' or 'excuse me.' They have no concept of lining up, most don't give up their seats for the elderly or pregnant. There's so much hustle, bustle and jostling.
No they don't. That wasn't the only city in China I was in. What you say may be true in a crowded place, but most of China is not at all crowded, and overall, I'd rank the Chinese (both mainland and Taiwan) as the most patiently courteous and helpful people in the world, always willing to stop what they're doing to assist a stranger, and generally solicitous of other people's needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

Montreal, everyone scowled at us, whether I spoke French or English, everyone was rude and unhelpful , unfriendly , cold and quite aggressive .
I don't know how long it's been since you were in Montreal, but it has changed enormously in the past couple of decades. It used to be notorious for its outrageous disdain for anyone who was not French Canadian, but in recent years it has turned around, and on my recent visits, I had nothing but pleasant encounters with everyone in Montreal and rural Quebec. Quite honestly, that really surprised me, since I used to live in Montreal in the 60s. Quebecers, even if they knew English, would refuse to speak it, but now they are quite friendly and openly accommodating in that respect.

Quebec might be the only place in the world where Americans are treated better than Canadians, since they resent the Anglophone Canadians for refusing to learn to speak French. They give Americans a pass for that justifiable defect.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-11-2012 at 09:07 AM..

Old 01-11-2012, 08:53 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,400,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestman View Post
Please provide some further details / examples.

Thanks
I lived there for 2 years! A lot of chavs and lack of community spirit. It's a British new town and it has sprawl not unlike that here in the US.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:56 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
No need to be sorry - Moscow is infamous for rudeness, downright obnoxiousness and it's unanimously hated by the rest of Russia (as a rule.)

PS. I like what one American said long time ago, when someone was slamming the door in our face somewhere in subway; "You can never describe Russians with one word, because you almost always have to add something opposite at the end. Looking at this fella slamming the door in my face you can say right away that Russians are rude, yet at the same time when you are invited at their homes, they are the most gracious hosts."
All true)))
I think this sums it up. In my experience, Russians tend to be very rude in public and very warm in private.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:22 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Lutetia

Old 01-11-2012, 09:36 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No they don't. That wasn't the only city in China I was in. What you say may be true in a crowded place, but most of China is not at all crowded, and overall, I'd rank the Chinese (both mainland and Taiwan) as the most patiently courteous and helpful people in the world, always willing to stop what they're doing to assist a stranger, and generally solicitous of other people's needs.

I don't know how long it's been since you were in Montreal, but it has changed enormously in the past couple of decades. It used to be notorious for its outrageous disdain for anyone who was not French Canadian, but in recent years it has turned around, and on my recent visits, I had nothing but pleasant encounters with everyone in Montreal and rural Quebec. Quite honestly, that really surprised me, since I used to live in Montreal in the 60s. Quebecers, even if they knew English, would refuse to speak it, but now they are quite friendly and openly accommodating in that respect.

Quebec might be the only place in the world where Americans are treated better than Canadians, since they resent the Anglophone Canadians for refusing to learn to speak French. They give Americans a pass for that justifiable defect.

We spent a Month in Montreal in 2005 or 2006 I think it was and then I had spent almost 3 months there in the late 80s , in 2 chunks.

Being a fluent French speaker had no softening effect on the Montreal speakers whatsover, they declined to understand either my English or my French.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:13 AM

77 posts, read 235,582 times
Bradford UK

A town seething with racial tension

Old 01-12-2012, 09:08 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Hong Kong

People tend to be unfriendly when they're constantly navigating their way through crowds.
HK is probably even worse than Singapore. Although I don't speak Cantonese so I can't really compare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World