U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-18-2012, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,408 posts, read 27,910,381 times
Reputation: 16564

Advertisements

Well I have been setting up a trip to Europe for this summer, with an open mind to other places as well.

My list for Europe is:

France, Italy, Czech Republic, Lithuania


I am also considering a trip for Japan/Korea. I don't have a huge interest in the other parts of Asia like Cambodia or Laos, if I go to Asia, I would really want to see Korea and Japan.


I realize a "where would you choose" question is pretty hard to ask because everyone has a difference of opinions... but it would maybe be nice to hear from people things I could expect. Maybe in terms of pricing, ease of transportation, things to do, reception of tourists and how they're treated , etc etc.

Any shared opinions would be great.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2012, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
22,256 posts, read 25,775,837 times
Reputation: 8753
Europe by a million miles.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,408 posts, read 27,910,381 times
Reputation: 16564
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Europe by a million miles.
That doesn't really answer my question
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 09:25 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,682 posts, read 49,105,489 times
Reputation: 11862
They are so different it's impossible to say which you should go to. It might come down to practical considerations like cost/time. If you're on the east coast of the US Europe would be closer, of course, while the west coast is maybe slightly closer to Japan.

If going in summer, some advantages of Japan and Korea would be fewer tourists, but it might feel just as busy with domestic tourists. It's also hot and humid in summer. Europe would be more tolerable. I imagine crowds would be very bad in Europe in summer.

Japan is as expensive as Western Europe to travel in. Korea is cheaper, probably closer to Eastern Europe.

Europe is obviously more used to foreign tourists. Of course I imagine you'll eventually see both anyway.

So yeah just factor in other things in your decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,408 posts, read 27,910,381 times
Reputation: 16564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
They are so different it's impossible to say which you should go to. It might come down to practical considerations like cost/time. If you're on the east coast of the US Europe would be closer, of course, while the west coast is maybe slightly closer to Japan.

If going in summer, some advantages of Japan and Korea would be fewer tourists, but it might feel just as busy with domestic tourists. It's also hot and humid in summer. Europe would be more tolerable. I imagine crowds would be very bad in Europe in summer.

Japan is as expensive as Western Europe to travel in. Korea is cheaper, probably closer to Eastern Europe.

Europe is obviously more used to foreign tourists. Of course I imagine you'll eventually see both anyway.

So yeah just factor in other things in your decision.

Yeah, it's tough to say. That's the reason I didn't ask in my OP "where should I go?" because I realize they are both COMPLETELY different, what I was trying to get is an idea on what I could expect just like the reply you gave me.

You're right, the travel time to Asia would probably be close to double from where I'm from, in regards to weather, I'd probably prefer the hot weather, that's my favorite type of weather to be in. The prices of Japan are a huge detriment though, I would want to spend a little more time in Japan than Korea, which would make things even harder I'd say.


Another thing, I am planning to couch surf, whether or not i'm in Europe or Asia, if cost of hotel is out of the equation (for the most part). Would that change much, or would Japan still be about the same price as Europe? I like to eat food, and I am not the type of person who would live on just rice every day, I don't necessarily eat high class, not into that, but I'm more of a mid-budget guy.

What about the type of transportation in these places? Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto/Seoul ? I am pretty familiar with the European transportation, but how is it in these cities? Would it be more expensive than Europe?

What about the bar scenes, how do they compare? Granted, I always manage to find people to hang out with while I'm traveling, so I'm sure I'll have fun either way.. but how do they compare?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,661 posts, read 78,578,037 times
Reputation: 36332
Asia will seem quite a bit more "modern" to you. Europe has had advanced technology for several centuries, so there are quite a lot of older buildings standing, along with road systems, agricultural development, urban organization, etc., so much of the Europe of previous centuries is still intact, and looking very much like it did centuries ago. Conversely, Asia was very rural and quite undeveloped until the last half century, so nearly all of what you see in Asia will have been rather newly devised and constructed.

That is less so of Japan, but the rest of Asia has the appearance of just having been recently assembled out of the box.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 12:04 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
20,882 posts, read 22,192,147 times
Reputation: 17235
If you haven't been to Europe, then I recommend going there first. It's closer to American culture, since they share a common western culture (especially France and Italy). So it's an easier transition.

BTW, France and Italy are both magnificent. Learn whatever you can of the local languages. They will appreciate your effort.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 02:20 PM
 
Location: LA, US / Malmo, SWE
314 posts, read 809,681 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you haven't been to Europe, then I recommend going there first. It's closer to American culture, since they share a common western culture (especially France and Italy). So it's an easier transition.

BTW, France and Italy are both magnificent. Learn whatever you can of the local languages. They will appreciate your effort.
Don't learn french. French people don't wanna speak English because they think that France is the center of the world.
Go somewhere else instead, France is hugely overrated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,408 posts, read 27,910,381 times
Reputation: 16564
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolpioni View Post
Don't learn french. French people don't wanna speak English because they think that France is the center of the world.
Go somewhere else instead, France is hugely overrated.

I have no interest in learning French, the only reason I'd go to France is to visit an old (Colombian) girlfriend who moved away, I'd get to stay with her for free. Don't worry, I love my country


As for the transition, I'm not too worried about that, I think after seeing what I saw in India, there is nothing that can make me feel uncomfortable haha.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,408 posts, read 27,910,381 times
Reputation: 16564
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Asia will seem quite a bit more "modern" to you. Europe has had advanced technology for several centuries, so there are quite a lot of older buildings standing, along with road systems, agricultural development, urban organization, etc., so much of the Europe of previous centuries is still intact, and looking very much like it did centuries ago. Conversely, Asia was very rural and quite undeveloped until the last half century, so nearly all of what you see in Asia will have been rather newly devised and constructed.

That is less so of Japan, but the rest of Asia has the appearance of just having been recently assembled out of the box.

That's one thing about Europe that I really like, is all of the old architecture, that's one of the biggest reasons for me to choose Europe, especially Italy, is for the history aspect.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top