Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What would be your pick?
Chicago 12 30.77%
Hong Kong 13 33.33%
Singapore 6 15.38%
Sydney 8 20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2012, 06:22 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Reputation: 11862

Advertisements

Which of these four cities, ranked as alpha+ cities by the GAWC, do you prefer/think is the greatest?

Compare all aspects, from skyline, quality of life, urban form, people, culture, food, shopping, nightlife.etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2012, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Scotland
7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
Reputation: 4167
Chicago every time, always wanted to go there more so than New York for some reason.

But seriously is the skyline of cities that important to people?! That shouldn't even be factor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 06:45 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Chicago every time, always wanted to go there more so than New York for some reason.

But seriously is the skyline of cities that important to people?! That shouldn't even be factor!
It is a factor to some. Perth is beautiful because of the view of the skyline from across the water. What would Hong Kong be without it's skyline. You could argue that cities that base their status on skylines might be over-compensating for something (like culture, for example), like Lord Farquad in Shrek lol. I think HK still has culture it's just more modern than that of Beijing. To me though, skylines definitely add to a sense of a city's importance. Which is why London will NEVER be the equal of the urban jungle that is Manhattan/NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Scotland
7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
Reputation: 4167
But Europes best cities prove that they are some of the best cities in the world, so what is your point? And I personally think Londons skyline is great you don't need tens of skyscrapers to make a skyline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 08:01 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
But Europes best cities prove that they are some of the best cities in the world, so what is your point? And I personally think Londons skyline is great you don't need tens of skyscrapers to make a skyline.
Yes I mean most people experiencing a city barely even look up at the buildings unless they're noteworthy. Skylines are best appreciated from a distance, not when you're in them. No, but London doesn't have the sense of massive scale, huge big city atmosphere of Manhattan. It has a more village-like feel, which is quaint in it's own way but Piccadilly Circus is no Times Square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Scotland
7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
Reputation: 4167
London doesn't have the sense of massive scale? London it is HUGE and it feels HUGE. Great music scene, diverse population, world class institutions, world class venues, plenty to do, great history, a mixture of old and new, great nightlife, plenty of green space etc. A great city has nothing to do with skyscrapers, if I wanted to go to a city to look at buildings it would be Rome, Athens etc. Skyscrapers are mainly used for business, I don't go to a city for its business prowess! Btw I think New York is a fascinating city but not because of Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)
 
4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Reputation: 4052
Out of all of the cities on this list, I pick Hong Kong.
I also love Chicago, but I like Hong Kong a tiny bit more.

Singapore is good and still has some impressive things about it, but I prefer Hong Kong and Chicago quite a bit more.

Sydney has some nice things about it and is decent, but it really should be much better considering it is Australia’s biggest city. Melbourne, Brisbane, and even Gold Coast for three examples seem more impressive than Sydney in Australia, at least based on pictures.

There are other Alpha+ cities too (Paris, Shanghai, Tokyo, Milan, Beijing) but I guess the OP just wanted to focus on these Alpha+ cities instead (Chicago, Hong Kong, Singapore, Sydney) of the other Alpha+ cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 08:23 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
London doesn't have the sense of massive scale? London it is HUGE and it feels HUGE. Great music scene, diverse population, world class institutions, world class venues, plenty to do, great history, a mixture of old and new, great nightlife, plenty of green space etc. A great city has nothing to do with skyscrapers, if I wanted to go to a city to look at buildings it would be Rome, Athens etc. Skyscrapers are mainly used for business, I don't go to a city for its business prowess! Btw I think New York is a fascinating city but not because of Manhattan.
Well it does, because it's a big city, but I mean like, it's a bit of an unfair comparison because no city compares to the vastness of Manhattan. Manhattan is 10 miles of towering steel, glass and concrete. No other city can match that. HK has as many scrapers but it's too small and closed in, not the same sense of scale. The vastness of the concrete jungle.etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 08:26 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Out of all of the cities on this list, I pick Hong Kong.
I also love Chicago, but I like Hong Kong a tiny bit more.

Singapore is good and still has some impressive things about it, but I prefer Hong Kong and Chicago quite a bit more.

Sydney has some nice things about it and is decent, but it really should be much better considering it is Australia’s biggest city. Melbourne, Brisbane, and even Gold Coast for three examples seem more impressive than Sydney in Australia, at least based on pictures.

There are other Alpha+ cities too (Paris, Shanghai, Tokyo, Milan, Beijing) but I guess the OP just wanted to focus on these Alpha+ cities instead (Chicago, Hong Kong, Singapore, Sydney) of the other Alpha+ cities.
I feel Paris and Tokyo could easily be Alpha++ cities, although they don't have quite the global influence of NY and LDN. They're definitely straddling them though. Tokyo is let down for being the least international of the mega-cities, especially being like 96% Japanese.

They are definitely the upper sub-tier of the Alpha+ category, and Milan sticks out as being very different from the four we're comparing. Shanghai, too, is probably not too far from approaching ++ status, as it's the economic hub of China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 08:31 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)
 
4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Reputation: 4052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well it does, because it's a big city, but I mean like, it's a bit of an unfair comparison because no city compares to the vastness of Manhattan. Manhattan is 10 miles of towering steel, glass and concrete. No other city can match that. HK has as many scrapers but it's too small and closed in, not the same sense of scale. The vastness of the concrete jungle.etc.
That is true Manhattan does have a vastness feel to it.

However, there are plenty of great cities in the world and plenty of cities that still have their own big city vibe. I am sure you know that though because seem to enjoy plenty of different cities/places in general.

Also Shanghai is rapidly developing its high rise skyline. I read somewhere that it soon will have the most skyscrapers in the world and more than New York City and Hong Kong soon. It is one of the fastest growing cities in the world. Some pictures I saw of Shanghai does have a vastness feel that can compete with New York City.

Skyscrapers and high rises is great, but there are plenty of other factors that make a city and place great.

A city/place does not even need skyscrapers/high-rises to be a great place. However, it can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top