Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 05:03 PM

15,836 posts, read 21,369,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah that turned me off when I was thinking of volunteering abroad. They expect you to PAY to volunteer? Air-fares are one thing, but the overall cost was similar to a holiday. Conservative volunteering in particular makes you feel like it's a 'privilege' to help save the world. I mean it IS, and say working at an Orang-utan refuge is probably in high demand, but I think in return for your volunteering they should at least provide you food and board. Everything else, I agree, is out of your own pocket.

jtur is right, it's probably better to just go there and directly contact the NGO's. 'Volunteering' holidays are becoming more popular these days and are big business.
Slow down there, tiger. With what money would they provide you with food and lodging? Most nonprofits, even in the US, are on a shoestring budget. Why should they provide you, someone with no vested interest looking for a 2 week experience, something at a cost to them? Many international development organizations only pay their full time staff in room and board (which is what many of my friends are doing now to get their foot in the door to work for larger development organizations).

Why not volunteer teaching English at a local immigrant advocacy organization or church? Or teach literacy - there are many elderly Americans who cannot read a newspaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 09:55 PM

2,233 posts, read 5,475,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Slow down there, tiger. With what money would they provide you with food and lodging? Most nonprofits, even in the US, are on a shoestring budget. Why should they provide you, someone with no vested interest looking for a 2 week experience, something at a cost to them? Many international development organizations only pay their full time staff in room and board (which is what many of my friends are doing now to get their foot in the door to work for larger development organizations).

Why not volunteer teaching English at a local immigrant advocacy organization or church? Or teach literacy - there are many elderly Americans who cannot read a newspaper.
Maybe because this is a 1st world country with plenty of own resources and $$...

Old 02-01-2012, 11:12 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,869,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
2k for 2 weeks in Africa or some other developed/3rd world country isn't a rip-off to you, huh? Well, then you can't be helped. From what I heard, you'd be living in a dorm, and food in Africa or elsewhere isn't that expensive. Talked to a guy who did this and the place where he volunteered at said they got 38 dollars a week form the organization. And how much do you earn in Vietnam or Africa per month? 100 Dollars? 200 ? Apparently, they just pocket 90% of the money. Not sure how many of them offer insurance, but again, it's a underdeveloped/3rd world country. You probably don't want to go to the doctor there anyway and would have to get your own insurance that would fly you out of there in a case of emergency.
The thing that bothers me the most is that many of them just exploit the already poor orphanages, community centers, child care centers etc. in those countries. this shouldn't just be an unique experience, but it should also actually be helping them and making a difference. Like I said, paying some money is ok, but 2k or even 3k or 4k for 2 weeks is outrageous. For that money you could probably build a new orphanage in Africa. It is sad that they charge so much. Maybe more people would actually do this if it wasn't so outrageously expensive. It is badly needed.

I'm sure they have reasons for what they charge, but you're free to complain on a message board. It really isn't a big deal. If you want to do something so bad and want to save money, go on your own accord and do it on your own.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:13 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,869,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Maybe because this is a 1st world country with plenty of own resources and $$...

It is this thought process that drives our country into the ground. Complete ignorance. Thanks

Old 02-02-2012, 05:38 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,561,641 times
Orphanages - for example - will have overheads, food, medical expenses for the children, electricity, books, paying some staff etc etc. Maybe some of the money goes towards this....
If privileged people are prepared to pay for the experience of spending their holidays volunteering in a 3rd world country then fair play to such organizations who see it as a win win situation and can make some money to support their work when the volunteer has gone home to his nice cosy bed!!

If you really want to do this then you can easily do it on your own..... here is a thread from lonely planet
Visit an orphanage in Phnom Penh - Lonely Planet travel forum - Cambodia
Vietnam Orphanage - Lonely Planet travel forum - Vietnam

Of course you have to make your own way there and arrange your own accom but thats easy. and I'm sure the orphanages can send you instructions for directions etc. You don't need to do it as a 'backpacker'

Old 02-02-2012, 05:43 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,561,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
It is this thought process that drives our country into the ground. Complete ignorance. Thanks
its the same in most countries unfortunately. There are plenty of volunteer opportunities in 'developed' countries. Work in a homeless shelter, spend a day a week helping children with their reading, dog walking at an animal shelter, sort clothes donations for the red cross, give free after school tutoring to children who are struggling but can't afford to get help, big bothers and sisters and mentor a child... the list is endless. You could even organize an event to raise money for one of the small orphanages overseas that don't get help from the big international charities....
Unfortunately you don't get the cool photos to show your friends

Old 02-02-2012, 07:47 PM

2,233 posts, read 5,475,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
If anything, lack of reading comprehension or general inability or comprehend things is what drives a country "into the ground". Try again.

Last edited by Glucorious; 02-02-2012 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: Tweak
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World