Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 12:42 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times

Advertisements

One is hot, other is cold...one is culturally upfront and other is culturally more politically correct...one has kangaroos and koalas and the other has bears and moose...however there are overall more similarities than differences between Aus and Canada including similar racial demographics/ population size/ high rate of urban population/ British links etc etc

But which is the more sophisticated, urbane, cosmopolitan culture/ country- Australia or Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 12:55 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
One is hot, other is cold...one is culturally upfront and other is culturally more politically correct...one has kangaroos and koalas and the other has bears and moose...however there are overall more similarities than differences between Aus and Canada including similar racial demographics/ population size/ high rate of urban population/ British links etc etc

But which is the more sophisticated, urbane, cosmopolitan culture/ country- Australia or Canada?
Well for a start we're not all descended from convicts, we don't all live in the bush and no, none of us have pet koalas or kangaroos (well almost none of us).

Aussie culture does have a streak of larrikanism and is a bit 'rough around the edges', but I think our cities - Sydney, Melbourne.etc - are the equal of Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver in terms of worldliness, cosmpolitan-ness, culture and urbanity. Sydney is about 35% born overseas. Not the ridiculous 50% of Toronto (although large parts of Sydney are over 50%) but it feels extremely multicultural.

Australia is clearly the more British, except for perhaps Atlantic Canada.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:27 AM

690 posts, read 1,202,035 times
I always though the Eastern Half of Canada was more French and European looking, the Western Half (except Vancouver and the far north) more British and American looking and wouldnt be disimillar to places like Nebraska. I think Canada should become two different countries.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:50 AM

77 posts, read 235,531 times
Does Canada have any equivalent to Bogans and Aboriginals?

Last edited by Vichel; 02-03-2012 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: Derogatory term edited

Old 02-03-2012, 08:06 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,428,288 times
The equivalent to "Aboriginals" would obviously be the so-called First Nations.

Last edited by Vichel; 02-03-2012 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: To reflect edit of previous post

Old 02-03-2012, 09:42 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonAreaWeatherSummary View Post
I always though the Eastern Half of Canada was more French and European looking, the Western Half (except Vancouver and the far north) more British and American looking and wouldnt be disimillar to places like Nebraska. I think Canada should become two different countries.
Why would we Break up the Country????? ...We (Canada & Canadians) love our Country just the way it is (most of the time) and we get along quite well and I would not change a thing.

I am not going to vote in this poll... Because I have never lived in Australia.. So would have nothing to base my voting/Opinion on and thus it would be biased and that is not a fair way to vote.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:10 AM

410 posts, read 949,579 times
Probably because thy are both descended from the British.

Last edited by Vichel; 02-03-2012 at 06:53 PM..

Old 02-03-2012, 11:24 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Well Benjamin Hubard I think you should show a little respect for Canada, Australia and The U.S.... otherwise if it were not for our Grandfathers fighting the Nazis in WW2 to save your Countries butt...You would be speaking German right now.

I think a little Respect is order thank you very much.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:51 PM

9 posts, read 17,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Well Benjamin Hubard I think you should show a little respect for Canada, Australia and The U.S.... otherwise if it were not for our Grandfathers fighting the Nazis in WW2 to save your Countries butt...You would be speaking German right now.

We Canadian shouldn't be lumped in with the Aussies IMO - we're a nation of cultural creatives, they're unique, but in their own way. Most of the great poets in English have ultimately emerged from the Canaduan scene.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:32 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post

Trotting out the old and totally inaccurate 'you'd be speaking German if it wasn't for us' line doesn't help matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World