Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 07:09 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,059 times

Advertisements

I would say Afghanistan. Mountainous dry arid terrain, almost no paved roads, little infrastructure, tribal feuding and violence, no experience or understanding of democracy, very little health care, very few doctors, unbelievable maternal and child mortality. Russia during its occupation in the 1980s literally tore out and destroyed all the country's wonderful orchards of many kinds of fruits, leaving the country with only opium poppies for revenue. However, a Trillion U.S. dollars of mineral resources was recently discovered in Afghanistan. But how to possibly extract and carry these minerals out, with virtually no roads or infrastructure ?

See Pentagon Preps Afghans for Trillion-Dollar Treasure Hunt | Danger Room | Wired.com

Afghanistan Minerals | Can Afghanistan tap its $1-trillion mineral wealth? - Los Angeles Times

Afghanistan's vast mineral deposits could lift it out of poverty | Eleanor Nichol | Global development | guardian.co.uk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 07:13 PM

973 posts, read 1,704,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Surely you mean California, Florida and Arizona. The bankrupt states.
WHAT??? Ummmm Florida is NOT bankrupt and far from it as far as I know. YES, our housing is a MESS, but our state gov't is doing fairly well compared to most states, and we are in the top 3 states of being vested for state pensions. So don't know what you are talking about.... Maybe you mean New Jersey??

Old 02-12-2012, 06:34 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
What is meant by development anyway? One can only hope countries that are not considered developed today won't repeat our mistakes and become like us. If that were their goal, however, I assume there would be little hope for most African and Muslim countries.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:01 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
WHAT??? Ummmm Florida is NOT bankrupt and far from it as far as I know. YES, our housing is a MESS, but our state gov't is doing fairly well compared to most states, and we are in the top 3 states of being vested for state pensions. So don't know what you are talking about.... Maybe you mean New Jersey??
Sorry, must be getting bankrupt confused with very unpleasant places to live.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:21 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,398,360 times
Quote:
Agreed!

Old 02-12-2012, 09:20 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,117 times
Finland after EU

Old 02-12-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Agreed!

So very glad, then, that my state has two less residents!

Old 02-12-2012, 04:09 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,398,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
So very glad, then, that my state has two less residents!
Been there done that. I may pop back to do Busch Gardens though and to visit St. Augustine.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Been there done that. I may pop back to do Busch Gardens though and to visit St. Augustine.
Come back as often as you want to do just that as YOU, then, (and people like you) are the reason why we have no state income tax, and that DOES make a difference in our take-home-pay!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:53 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,783,287 times
You realize that all the corrupt leaders, and dictators, and religious fanactics, are going to DIE some day, right?

You realize that 100 years in the future, none of them will be alive, right?

You realize that the new generations, with different views of life, are going to take control of ALL countries in the world, sooner or later, right?

I hope you realize that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World