Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 12:33 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolpioni View Post
What do you mean with culture? Christianity, Multiculturalism, Jewish owned-media, a liberal population and McDonalds?
In that case, I'd say:

1. Canada
2. UK
3. Australia
4. France
5. Brazil

There's nothing else.
Philippines has actually a pretty similar feeling to the US. Manila feels like Los Angeles but only 10 times poorer and dirtier and
filled with Filipinos.
Being someone who lives in the Philippines, here's my two cents: On the surface, it does seem quite Americanized - partly because Filipinos in general tend to look up to the States! However, if you spend a serious amount of time in the Philippines, you'll note that there is quite a difference with regards to cultural mindset and overall collective mentality, so to speak!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 01:19 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Scandinavian countries are almost as much culturally toe the US as are Germany or the Netherlands. Of course they are more distant than the UK, Australia or Canada but still part of the same sud-group of the "western world", made of the germanic-based countries/
Other than just be "western" and "first world", Scandinavian countries are also speaking germanic languages as the US does (English) rather than a latin one as do the southern western countries; and share societies based on a Protestant tradition (as the US mostly does), rather than a moslty catholic one as do the southern western countries.
We do not have to forget that the majort part of the mainstream US population (white) is mainly of Germanic extration. Scandinavians are part these germanic people and many areas have been heavily populated by Scandinavians, as much as others have been by Germans.
Other than that I always feel on my various trips to Scandinavia that the local culture was very open on English language and Anglo-Saxon culture, and very influenced by the Anglo-American culture or the Anglo world in general. As much, or even more than does the Netherlands.
We could even add that most areas of Scandinavia looks in their landscapes more similar to north America than to any part of continental Europe.

Inversely I really don't see what Argentina could do on the list. The only common point it share with the US, is having been an important point of Imigration from Europe in the early 20th century. But the the difference that the population that imigrated to Argentina was 90% from southern Europe (Spain and Italy mainly), while the imigration to the USA was mainly northern European (Irish, German, Scottish, Polish, Scandinavian).
Well in the early 20th century the US attracted more Italian migrants than Italian migrants to Argentina. In the early 20th century prior to the immigration restriction act to reduce mass immigration the US attracted more southern European immigrants and eastern european immigrants (an massive number were Jewish for east European immigrants) than ones from Germany, UK and Scandanvia

Old 02-05-2012, 02:21 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
The Philippines?? What do you consider to be similar with the USA?
Concerning Mexico, I tend to think that the some similarities you can found are mainly due to the recent Mexican imigration, and Mexican-based fashions (such as pop things such as regeatton or Taco Bell, that are in my opinion typically US creations made for the "latino" or "Mexican" community, or just to follow some "Mexican-like" fashions). Some areas of the US have been former parts of Mexico, and as such retained some aspects relating to Mexico, but I think that is quite superficial or limited to some areas and not at all to the USA as a whole.

In my opinion the list of closer Countries to the US would focus more on the culture than of such things as natural context.
1. English-speaking Canada
2. Australia
3. United Kingdom
4. Ireland
5. New Zealand
6. Netherlands
7. Germany
8. Scandinavia
French speaking areas of Canada, including Quebec, are still proudly North American. If you look at things like urban form, lifestyle, holidays celebrated (A Thanksgiving day with turkey, Halloween) you'll see it's definitely more American than anywhere in Europe, which would make sense considering the history and geography. I'm not saying English Canada isn't more American, but Francophones are certainly more like their neighbours than any European country is.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:50 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
1. Canada
2. Australia
3. New Zealand
4. Ireland (if North Ireland were a fully independent country, than perhaps #3)
5. United Kingdom
6. South Africa
7. Costa Rica
8. Mexico
9. Germany
10. Sweden

Old 02-05-2012, 06:57 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
1. Canada
2. Australia
3. New Zealand
4. Ireland (if North Ireland were a fully independent country, than perhaps #3)
5. United Kingdom
6. South Africa
7. Costa Rica
8. Mexico
9. Germany
10. Sweden
You're probably thinking of urban, possibly white South Africa. The majority of South Africa is much like the rest of Africa: third world.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:27 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
South Africa is not the 'third world', it has pretty good infrastructure and a high GDP per capita on par with the likes of Romania (yeah, poor by European standards, but not that poor on a global scale). Still riddled with poverty mind you, but it's not that bad

Old 02-05-2012, 11:29 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
My rank:

1. Canada
2. Australia
3. United Kingdom
4. New Zealand
5. Ireland
6. Mexico
7. Germany
8. The Philippines
9. The Netherlands
10. Singapore
I would add Japan and South Korea, and take out the Philippines and Mexico. Then again, certain countries are similar to certain regions of the U.S. (ex: Mexico and Southwestern US).

Old 02-05-2012, 11:39 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I would add Japan and South Korea, and take out the Philippines and Mexico. Then again, certain countries are similar to certain regions of the U.S. (ex: Mexico and Southwestern US).
I think you're confusing "technologically advanced" with "American"

The Philippines is way more similar to the US than Japan & South Korea are. You can go over there and find any American chain restaurant imaginable. Most people speak English to a degree. You can hear any current American songs on the radio. A couple years ago I was on a really small, rural island and I heard Soulja Boy (American rapper) playing from a small farm house. American pop culture is big there. American films & TV shows aren't even dubbed, they're just played in English. Lots of people have English first names.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:13 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
South Africa is not the 'third world', it has pretty good infrastructure and a high GDP per capita on par with the likes of Romania (yeah, poor by European standards, but not that poor on a global scale). Still riddled with poverty mind you, but it's not that bad
Statistics for black South Africans are pretty much identical to neighbouring countries. The life expectancy, prevalence of AIDS, general living standards are similar.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:07 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
*Country must have at least 3 million people

*At least 51% of the population is christian

*Must have their own army (at least 30.000 soldiers)

*At least $30.000 GDP (PPP) per capita

That leaves...

Canada, United Kingdom, Netherlands, Belgium, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Austria and Australia.

Other countries should not be considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World