Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 05:53 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Ireland was founded on similar principles to the US - rebellion against the British. Many of their road signs are new world, certain American terms such as 'Yield' are also used in Ireland. Country music has many of its roots in Ireland, Ireland is one of the few republics in the English speaking world and they were big on deregulation. There is a strong bond between Irish Americans and the home country. People in America seem far more proud of their Irish roots than English.

The UK is most culturally similar to the Scandinavian countries IMO, particularly Norway and Denmark. We watch the same sports, are equally reserved, equally Euro-sceptic, have similar humour and have constitutional monarchies. I've never been to Australia, but believe Bill Bryson's analysis that Australians are kind of like Brits and Americans in a blender (I can't remember what he said exactly, but it was words to those effects).
Ireland seems a lot more old worldy than the main Anglophone nations. The physical landscape seems far different to the US. Sure American culture has Irish roots, but Irish influence tends to be more prevalent in the East and the South.

I think like in Australia Britain is just the default so people forget it's even an ethnicity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 06:07 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
The Irish-American influence does stand out a bit. The Irish as immigrants in the last century or two, seem to be a big part of the narrative and cultural contribution of American history.

In Canada, there's a fair proportion of those of Scottish descent and influence from Scottish culture too.

I think it's hard to separate out what are the cultural contributions of the various countries in the British Isles on the present day culture of these new world nations, since both the old world culture and the new world culture has changed in a century or two, and by now any cultural contributions are so ingrained that they don't stand-out/identify as much relative to other more recent waves of immigrants that continues to the present day.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
The Irish-American influence does stand out a bit. The Irish as immigrants in the last century or two, seem to be a big part of the narrative and cultural contribution of American history.

In Canada, there's a fair proportion of those of Scottish descent and influence from Scottish culture too.

I think it's hard to separate out what are the cultural contributions of the various countries in the British Isles on the present day culture of these new world nations, since both the old world culture and the new world culture has changed in a century or two, and by now any cultural contributions are so ingrained that they don't stand-out/identify as much relative to other more recent waves of immigrants that continues to the present day.
It does. The Irish are also extremely influential on Australian history. Ned Kelly was Irish, as were many of the bush rangers, Banjo Patterson was also Irish. Many of our former prime ministers were Irish Catholics - while only one US president has been. Irish ancestry dominates in some places, less so in WA than places like Victoria.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:19 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
The UK is not that culturally similar to the US at all. If we were to swallow our pride and dump the Euro-scepticism, we would be able to admit that we have more in common with our fellow northern Eurpean neighbours than the US.

Trimac...only the "new world" countries can really be compared to the US, including Australia. Many of those countries were former colonies and founded on the same principles as the US. I actually think that of all the European countries, Ireland probably has the most in common with the US. Perhaps also Switzerland and Finland because of their firearms laws?

Us Brits...we just use the same language. Aside from that, we like totally different sports, different music, our working and living philosophies are different and our political systems are quite different.
But the thread is asking which countries are culturally "most similar" even though they may not be that similar.

The U.S. and Great Britain share a similar cultural heritage. U.S. schools teach Shakespeare and other English poets/novelists as cornerstones of English literature. British royal history is often taught in school classes as well. The Magna Carta was centrally important to the political philosophy of the U.S. colonies and later the U.S. Constitution. The Anglican Church became the Episcopalian Church in the U.S., which is pretty influential to this day.

As for music, there's been a long history of British influence on American music (and vice versa). Some of the most popular rock bands in America have been British. To this day, very few American bands (of any genre) can rival the popularity of the Beatles or even the Rolling Stones, the Who or Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin in their heyday.

So, as different as the U.S. and U.K. are, they still do have quite a lot of cultural similarities.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:30 PM

American culture - a brief breakdown:

Language - UK
System of law - UK
Social customs - UK
Personality of the people - it's own thing, regional
Food - a mix of UK, German, Mexican, Irish and others
Music - African, European, Native American
Place names - Mostly Britain, Native American, French, Irish

Old 02-09-2012, 07:37 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

Music - African, European, Native American
I understand that African-American influences through jazz, blues etc. have elements with native African precedents, but did native American influence really contribute much to US pop music?

Old 02-09-2012, 07:46 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,349 times
I know many British have a knee-jerk reaction regarding anything about their country or culture that's vaguely similar to America, but after having worked in England for almost a year and travelling around Britain and Europe on my time off I can say the British have a more American styled bent than any other people in Europe. Is that saying they're the same? No, but there are many shared ideals and habits. The British are more militaristic than most of Europe, they have a more "Land of the Free" attitude that we inherited and amplified and have a similar "my home is my castle" mindset. Plus you've joined us in becoming an immigrant nation. Thoughts on international affairs, democracy and human rights parallel too. One can't deny the sheer gravity of a shared language either.

1. Canada
2. Australia
4. New Zealand (as much as they supposedly hate us)
5. UK
6. Ireland
7. The Scandinavian countries

I won't include any of the Central and South American countries as their Latin and indigenous based cultures are much different than ours.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I understand that African-American influences through jazz, blues etc. have elements with native African precedents, but did native American influence really contribute much to US pop music?
Not so much pop music, but I believed it contributed to American folk music, particularly among Hispanics.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
I know many British have a knee-jerk reaction regarding anything about their country or culture that's vaguely similar to America, but after having worked in England for almost a year and travelling around Britain and Europe on my time off I can say the British have a more American styled bent than any other people in Europe. Is that saying they're the same? No, but there are many shared ideals and habits. The British are more militaristic than most of Europe, they have a more "Land of the Free" attitude that we inherited and amplified and have a similar "my home is my castle" mindset. Plus you've joined us in becoming an immigrant nation. Thoughts on international affairs, democracy and human rights parallel too. One can't deny the sheer gravity of a shared language either.

1. Canada
2. Australia
5. UK
6. Ireland

I won't include any of the Central and South American countries as their Latin and indigenous based cultures are much different than ours.
I'd be surprised if it was otherwise. Americans play up their Continental European heritage just because of ancestry.

You're definitely right. Anglo-Saxon culture is stern, uncompromising, militaristic, hierarchical, unforgiving, individualistic, business-like and practical.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:32 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,397,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post

1. Canada
2. Australia
5. UK
6. Ireland

I've also lived and worked in both countries and I have to disagree with you. American and British modern culture are quite different. Our eating habits, social habits, attitudes towards work, education and religion are quite different. Then you have the attitude towards things like firearms and the role of the state and even the sports we enjoy.

The relationship between Britain and the US is something of a parent:child relationship, only now the child has grown up and the parent's days of being a world power are long over. The US was founded on rebellion AGAINST the British and to some extent, it still rebels against what modern Britain is today.

Both countries have been quite radically altered by recent immigration patterns: the US has taken in millions of immigrants from Latin America, while Britain has taken in millions of immigrants from India, Pakistan, Eastern Europe and some of the Islamic nations.

American fast food, music, film and retail giants are no more popular in the UK than anywhere else. Many American chains have failed to crack the UK market, including Walmart and most recently, Best Buy.

Our cultural differences are highlighted in our humour. Like our culture, British comedy tends to be gritty, no holds barred in terms of weirdness or more recently vulgarity and is generally self-depreciating. American comedy tends not to be as self-depreciating and is somewhat afraid to make fun of known stereotypes, although I do enjoy elements of comedy from both countries.

Our work ethic is quite different, especially when it comes to customs service. Americans expect someone working in a store to literally kiss their arse and call them by their first name, which many British people would be somewhat weirded out by, just as we often don't like to make eye contact.

Britain is essentially northern European in culture, whereas the US is a new culture with a mishmash of different European, Asian, Latin American and African cultures, many whom have been placed in a genetic blender and will continue to blend and change as time goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World