Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 07:41 AM

139 posts, read 441,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'm biased and I think the best place is in the Latinamerican countries that have a lot of black people.
But you still find some racism.

In Venezuela (the one that I'm familiar with),
There's a saying that says: "Everybody has black blood in them, even Simon Bolivar (George Washington of South America) who was raised by his black nanny after both of his parents died and she became his adoptive mother"

Everybody in Venezuela, Colombia, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Brazil has a black relative.
But there's a different type of racism over there, it has to do with thinking that black people are ugly. So, white people with blonde hair and blue eyes always get the good paying jobs.
Well white supremacy is a GLOBAL phenomenon. A friend of mine loves Haiti but he says that the mixed race Haitians are VERY racist towards the black Haitians. There is a Brazilian joke that the ONLY people who will admit to having African ancestry are those who look completely Nordic. And most jobs will ask for a "good appearance" meaning white and preferably white and blonde. Brazil's highest paid entertainer is the blonde Xuxa.

But my personal experiences on a day to day level was that people live and let live - at least in the Northeast. Also I lack the language skills to really communicate with the Brazilians on a deep level. If you turn on the tv you will seldom see black people except in the stereotypical buffoon roles.

Black people should not expect to find a racism-free Shangri-La in Brazil or anywhere else in the world but in Brazil I found that I was not under constant "attack" like I am in the States and I was able to drop the defense mechanisms.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolpioni View Post
Go to South Africa, there you can join all the other blacks who's hating on the whites. A dream might come true for you.
You mean for the first time in their lives, black South Africans are able to express their feelings and views without a Boer putting his foot in their azzes?

White South Africans, like whites everywhere else, still hold all of the wealth and resources of the planet. Last time I checked black SouthAfricans were living on about $2500 US dollars a year and a white South African about 100 times that amount. Same situation as blacks in America.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I can't imagine a better country than the US, but if you say you face a daily struggle here, then I have to accept that you do.
If I were African American I would thank God my ancesters got snatched out of Africa, but aren't there modern, thriving areas of Africa now? Maybe you could go back and help build that country. Also, I've noticed that the people in the Caribbean seem very happy, and there you would be in the majority.
That's the problem with the "Western" way of thinking. Materialism, materialism, materialism. For starters African Americans only own 1% of American wealth, the same as we did in 1876, a few years after the Civil War.

I don't care about modernity. If I visit somewhere and the people are unhappy and miserable and the birth and marriage rate is abysmally low you can keep the "advancement". That is not progress to me. I am not saying that it is not better to be rich but I find more happy people who know how to live life in Brazil who are making $200 US dollars a month who are happier and more well-adjusted than your typical American. A friend of mine is working over there to develop industry - but not to the extent of the Western World because she wants to maintain the "Brazilianess" of their country.

If I was younger, I would definitely seek opportunities to develop Africa - but I would NEVER overdevelop the place with what I consider to be a lot of useless technology. The "wealth" of family and community is more important to me than material wealth. Many Westerners have material wealth but they are sharing their mansions with a couple of cats and lizards. What's so wealthy about that? Study after study has proven that African-Americans don't have significant advantages over blacks elsewhere and if a good number of African-Americans had the resources to go on ex-pat status many of us would gladly jump at the chance.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm24x7 View Post
I suggest u live where u are .. keeping racism aside ..theres discrimination of all sorts everywhere in the world .. please dont pull yourself towards the dark hole .. respect one another respect the land ..live in peace ..god bless all
That's a lot easier said than done in the United States. On some level there is going to always be bullsh9t as long as there is humanity and if a person is planning to relocate to another country he will find he has simply traded one set of problems for another.

But constant racism can wear an individual down and leads to all sorts of mental and physical problems which most African-Americans tend to exhibit. Brazil is far from being a racism-free paradise but I didn't experience the CONSTANT attacks that black people experience in the States - at least in the Northeast. When I am in the States I am on six daily medications and in Brazil I don't have to take any. Yes it's great to be rich but you can't put a price tag on peace of mind and good mental health. Again, black Americans will not be free of racism outside the States but in some countries they will give you some breathing room.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:48 AM

64 posts, read 105,681 times
Stick to the States and stop giving it up to the other races white or any other colour. Everyone is an immigrant there so no one should claim they have any superior right to the soil.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:55 PM

341 posts, read 641,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Why limit yourself to thinking about America and Europe?
As an AFRICAN-American, maybe you would thrive in an African country.
Just a thought...
IMO he is an American same as you if is not more. Where are your parents, grand parents from?

Old 04-29-2010, 06:11 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumiwa View Post
IMO he is an American same as you if is not more. Where are your parents, grand parents from?
You didn't read the OP first post did you?

Old 04-29-2010, 08:09 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
[quote=trying2know;1436138]Where to everyone's knowledge is the best country to live without racism? QUOTE]

Who knows as that's everywhere however i always thought that Jamaica would be a cool place for american africans. When i was there in Ocho Rios it looked to be about 98 % black and the people were super cool and the food, clubs and beaches were just awesome as i a caucasian guy have thought at times of moving there as i love the caribbean and again at least the people i interacted with there were really cool.

As for all that ganja that grows wild over there ...

Old 04-29-2010, 08:40 AM

497 posts, read 507,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2know View Post
Where to everyone's knowledge is the best country to live without racism? I have been reading many posts about the U.S. and Europe and both seem to have animosity toward african americans no matter where you go. I have lived in the United States al my life andi know there is much racism here. I thought for a time at aiming to go to europe, not because I thought it was better but because i thought racism was a part of people's ignorance. I was hoping that europeans didn't have that. A couple of years ago, I met a french boy in my school and he refered to me as road kill. He really wouldn't stop and i eventually changed schools. Many of his friends from asia also made the same jokes. I hear so many people saying in places like France, they loved american goods and not our foreign policy. I don't agree with it either but is there no place in the wrld for me to be free? Even in this day and time? I'm about to go off to college and I really have an interest to learn about the world. Should i give up trying to be a bit more educated about the world and aiming for a place to make good friends and have a good life? Or should I just be content with this?
I always feel better down south of the United States

Old 04-29-2010, 03:57 PM

815 posts, read 1,543,809 times
I always see that Americans always stimulate xenophobia.
When the policy of the USA operates by a principle "divid and dominate". But all agree that Negroes, Arabs and Asians - "help an international mode" to the detriment of indigenous population. And all Jews - Sionists are guilty . Yes. I do not know as in the West. But in the east it so.
Also it is the truth. So , while there is a government of the USA. The best place for the African - Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World