Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 01:50 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,963,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Really?
Read your post again and think about it.
I just don't find it to be a really big deal, I could correct the sentence and say "Happiest cities in USA" but it still doesn't take away from the fact that people on here are trying to prove that a European country is better than the USA by taking a website ranking "best cities to live in".. which is worse in my opinion.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:46 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,248,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I just don't find it to be a really big deal, I could correct the sentence and say "Happiest cities in USA" but it still doesn't take away from the fact that people on here are trying to prove that a European country is better than the USA by taking a website ranking "best cities to live in".. which is worse in my opinion.

Is English really your native language? I could've corrected the original sentence when I was about 10 years old.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post

Is English really your native language? I could've corrected the original sentence when I was about 10 years old.

Your comment doesn't make sense... maybe they don't teach comprehension in the Netherlands. That has nothing to do with what I said.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:36 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,517,585 times
Only one of all my friends back home came to The USA to study. Most of them went to other countries in Europe. I love this country but I am sad to say that The USA is not as popular as it used to be. Its not the land of dreams anymore.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Your comment doesn't make sense... maybe they don't teach comprehension in the Netherlands. That has nothing to do with what I said.
My comprehension is just fine. Do you really not see what is wrong with the sentence: "Who is the happiest city in USA?" I guess that proves my point about the US education system, some people pass high school without knowing the most basic grammar of their own language

Anyway, it's not that serious, let's get back on topic.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
My comprehension is just fine. Do you really not see what is wrong with the sentence: "Who is the happiest city in USA?" I guess that proves my point about the US education system, some people pass high school without knowing the most basic grammar of their own language

Anyway, it's not that serious, let's get back on topic.
Yes, I said I saw the problem and that I don't see it to be a big deal because that can be corrected easily. It really appears to me that your comprehension is terrible, considering the fact that you didn't understand my post or anything that I said. But no worries, you can keep up whatever you're trying to prove.

I am not here to make generalizations, but at least you proved my point that YOU are a little slow

Old 02-18-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Yes, I said I saw the problem and that I don't see it to be a big deal because that can be corrected easily. It really appears to me that your comprehension is terrible, considering the fact that you didn't understand my post or anything that I said. But no worries, you can keep up whatever you're trying to prove.

I am not here to make generalizations, but at least you proved my point that YOU are a little slow
Yes, and you proceeded to "correct" it incorrectly, LOL. At least I have an excuse if my comprehension were slow 'cause English is only my third language, but for a native speaker to not even know grammar 101 of his own language is kinda sad. I'll leave it at that.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure my comprehension of English is a little better than your comprehension of Dutch, French or German, all of which I learnt to speak fluently as a result of my education... which brings us back on topic As I said, it's not that serious, don't take my comments personally.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Yes, and you proceeded to "correct" it incorrectly, LOL. At least I have an excuse if my comprehension were slow 'cause English is only my third language, but for a native speaker to not even know grammar 101 of his own language is kinda sad. I'll leave it at that.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure my comprehension of English is a little better than your comprehension of Dutch, French or German, all of which I learnt to speak fluently as a result of my education... which brings us back on topic As I said, it's not that serious, don't take my comments personally.
I'm pretty sure my Spanish and Portuguese are better than yours, which I learned on my own. You still haven't proved your English comprehension skills to me either, because you seem way off. Feel free to keep trying...

Oh, and please explain to me what's wrong with my corrected phrase? I don't see any errors?

Just to save your time, you can't fix it because my sentence(which wasn't meant to be a sentence) was in quotations because it was listed as a title. It was just another European doing his best to nit pick something out of a main idea. It seems to be the typical thing to do from you guys on this message board. It makes me wonder if you guys were taught that a title of a poll doesn't have to be a complete sentence?

Please leave your moronic comments to yourself, because it just makes you look bad.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure my Spanish and Portuguese are better than yours, which I learned on my own. You still haven't proved your English comprehension skills to me either, because you seem way off. Feel free to keep trying...

Oh, and please explain to me what's wrong with my corrected phrase? I don't see any errors?
No, my comprehension is fine. Here's the situation: you posted a grammatically terrible sentence, someone points it out to you and jokes about the level of the American education system, you respond with a "?" (and you accuse me of poor comprehension skills LOL), I jokingly defend your mistake (because as I said, it's not that serious to me) and then you proceed to "correct" your mistake while obviously not realising what was wrong in the first place, which I pointed out. That's all. Please tell me what I'm not comprehending here.

Well, your corrected phrase should have been "Happiest cities in the USA" but that wasn't what I was referring to. I'm talking about your original sentence: "Who is the happiest city in USA?" Are you honestly telling me you can't see what's wrong with this phrase? Let me give you a hint :

- Who is the smallest city in Texas?
- When is your name?
- What old are you?

^ See the common mistake in these sentences?

Quote:
Just to save your time, you can't fix it because my sentence(which wasn't meant to be a sentence) was in quotations because it was listed as a title. It was just another European doing his best to nit pick something out of a main idea. It seems to be the typical thing to do from you guys on this message board. It makes me wonder if you guys were taught that a title of a poll doesn't have to be a complete sentence?

Please leave your moronic comments to yourself, because it just makes you look bad.
Another comprehension fail. First of all, I don't see any polls here and if you were referring to the title of this thread, that's not what it says. The mistake wasn't in the corrected sentence, I said that a few times already. I even re-posted the original sentence for you.

Anyway, this is such a silly discussion about a non-issue. It's telling that you immediately start with your insults and generalisations when someone jokingly points out that you made a grammar 101 mistake in a thread about the American education system though. My comments were never that serious or personal (as evidenced by the "" emoticons) but it seems you took it that way. Sorry if I offended you but there's no need to call me moronic and slow.

Edit: anyway, to get back on topic (for real now ), this thread isn't just about the best Universities. It's about the best education system as a whole, which in my opinion should also take into account the affordabiliy of tertiary education and the quality of student life (e.g. in terms of available facilities and support). In that sense, the link that Elnina posted which showed that Europe defies the US when it comes to a ranking of "best cities for students" was perfectly appropriate for this thread. After all, this ranking comes from the same source (QS) that many Americans (and people of other nationalities, including myself) use to determine what the best Universities are. I don't think anyone can deny that the US has some of the best Universities in the world but that doesn't necessarily mean it has the best overall education system.

Last edited by LindavG; 02-18-2012 at 07:18 PM..

Old 02-18-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
No, my comprehension is fine. Here's the situation: you posted a grammatically terrible sentence, someone points it out to you and jokes about the level of the American education system, you respond with a "?" (and you accuse me of poor comprehension skills LOL), I jokingly defend your mistake (because as I said, it's not that serious to me) and then you proceed to "correct" your mistake while obviously not realising what was wrong in the first place, which I pointed out. That's all. Please tell me what I'm not comprehending here.

Well, your corrected phrase should have been "Happiest cities in the USA" but that wasn't what I was referring to. I'm talking about your original sentence: "Who is the happiest city in USA?" Are you honestly telling me you can't see what's wrong with this phrase? Let me give you a hint :

- Who is the smallest city in Texas?
- When is your name?
- What old are you?

^ See the common mistake in these sentences?

Another comprehension fail. First of all, I don't see any polls here and if you were referring to the title of this thread, that's not what it says. The mistake wasn't in the corrected sentence, I said that a few times already. I even re-posted the original sentence for you.

Anyway, this is such a silly discussion about a non-issue. It's telling that you immediately start with your insults and generalisations when someone jokingly points out that you made a grammar 101 mistake in a thread about the American education system though. My comments were never that serious or personal (as evidenced by the "" emoticons) but it seems you took it that way. Sorry if I offended you but there's no need to call me moronic and slow.
I responded with a question mark because I was showing that I found it pointless to even bring something like that up. I don't think I said anything bad or made any generalizations in the thread before it to have someone bring up an error that I obviously knew how to correct. I simply said it as a form of speech without thinking.

I didn't call you moronic, I called your comments moronic. I didn't start anything, and I didn't start by making any generalizations.. that was all you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World