Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 07:34 AM

52 posts, read 187,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
The UK probably has the best average university quality, and the highest number of top performing universities by population.
There you go, Good Sir:
http://img7.imagebanana.com/img/iqss...nispercap2.png

Other statistics to consider:
-Publications per capita
-Citations per capita
-Percentage of students going to top-ranked universities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 07:37 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevike View Post
List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Average of the 3-

USA $47,510
Germany $37,075

USA GDP (PPP) is 28% higher than Germany's - A substantial economic advantage. Even more amazing when you consider the US's population is nearly 4 times larger than Germany's.

The fact that you then try to diminish Americans by crediting Asian "brain drain" for any perceived US success reveals an obvious animosity towards the USA. Most likely brought on by an effort to feel better about your own country. Very transparent.
Just mentioning the GDP per capita doesn't give you the whole picture. You should also take into account expenses, specifically for health care and education. The average tuition fees for American Universities are $38,000-$40,000 per year whereas the average tuition fees for German Universities are $1,000-$2,000 per year (source). I am aware that most American students don't pay the full amount due to scholarships but even if they paid just 10% of the fees, they'd still spend more than twice as much as their German peers. Many American students graduate with a significant debt so they spend a bigger chunk of their salary to pay it off compared to German students.

Also, remember that income is distributed much more unequally in the US than in Germany (Gini coefficients 27 for Germany vs. 45 for US: source). Therefore, the "average income" is misleading because many people in the US don't actually earn that much whereas the average income for Germany is much closer to reality.

Last edited by LindavG; 02-23-2012 at 07:48 AM..

Old 02-23-2012, 08:01 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Just mentioning the GDP per capita doesn't give you the whole picture. You should also take into account expenses, specifically for health care and education. The average tuition fees for American Universities are $38,000-$40,000 per year whereas the average tuition fees for German Universities are $1,000-$2,000 per year (source). I am aware that most American students don't pay the full amount due to scholarships but even if they paid just 10% of the fees, they'd still spend more than twice as much as their German peers. Many American students graduate with a significant debt so they spend a bigger chunk of their salary to pay it off compared to German students.

Also, remember that income is distributed much more unequally in the US than in Germany (Gini coefficients 27 for Germany vs. 45 for US: source). Therefore, the "average income" is misleading because many people in the US don't actually earn that much whereas the average income for Germany is much closer to reality.
Yes, three months after I had started my first job, I was finished paying back my interest-free student loan Most German universities do not charge any tuition anymore. A student's expenses are basically limited to rent and food. And even with that one can get help, namely one of those interest-free loans that anyone is entitled to whose parents earn below a certain threshold.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:56 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,095 times
Actually, I'd always thought the strength of the US university system was not only its top-tier colleges, but in its huge number of excellent second- and third-tier schools. Sure there are the Harvards and Yales, but there are the Michigans, Cals and North Carolinas, and so on. Add to the fact that there are hundreds of excellent state schools and regional private colleges and it is apparent why the US has the strongest tertiary system. I have yet to see another country that can compare. I would venture to say that a number of US states have as many high-quality colleges as do many countries.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:38 AM

52 posts, read 187,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I would venture to say that a number of US states have as many high-quality colleges as do many countries.
Could that be related to the fact that the population sizes of some of these US states are bigger than those of some countries?

As to the other thing you said, as apposed to just claiming things without facts, I posted a few numbers in my last post, and made a few other (googleable) suggestions regarding actual statistics. Maybe you'd take a look at those. Actually doesn't look too good for the "matchless" US.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:41 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
I need to add that GDP per capita is a useless determination of a nations wealth. It's influenced by many factors, including currency.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:36 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Actually, I'd always thought the strength of the US university system was not only its top-tier colleges, but in its huge number of excellent second- and third-tier schools. Sure there are the Harvards and Yales, but there are the Michigans, Cals and North Carolinas, and so on. Add to the fact that there are hundreds of excellent state schools and regional private colleges and it is apparent why the US has the strongest tertiary system. I have yet to see another country that can compare. I would venture to say that a number of US states have as many high-quality colleges as do many countries.
Those are not second-tier schools, they are considered first tier, highly competetive and more or less on par with the Ivys.
I went to a top 100 school in the US and I can't say that the quality of their education or research was any better than the university in Europe I'd attended before that. In my opinion the best universities in the United States are probably indeed better than the best ones in many European countries. But on average the quality of college education is very similar and the worst US universities are definitely worse than those in Europe that I am familiar with. There are just more extremes in America on the upper end as well as on the lower end.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:47 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,397,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I need to add that GDP per capita is a useless determination of a nations wealth. It's influenced by many factors, including currency.
It doesn't take into account the cost of living in a particular nation. Americans spend bucketloads more on healthcare and many are saddled with enormous student loans and have less of a safety net should they become unemployed. In other words, you need considerably more money in America than in Germany, where you don't even need a car in many major cities, work fewer hours and have more annual leave.

GDP per capita alone is a useless measure for judging quality of life.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:46 AM

690 posts, read 1,201,672 times
Japan or Maybe Korea. So called top US and UK universities will let anyone in. Even Bush and Prince Charles. Im sure other european universities are also infected with the idiocy that turns out the same bankers and politicians as UK and US ones. The only reason so many foreign students come to UK/US universities is the best ones in China/India are massively competitive. UK/US universities will let anyone in if you got the dough.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:49 AM

690 posts, read 1,201,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
have less of a safety net should they become unemployed.

That depends on the American. IIRC US social security pays a fraction of the unemployed workers previous salary. Going from a £70k job to £70 a week JSA allowance is going to be a far more difficult shift than if unemployment benefit is based on your salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World