Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 12:12 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
British (especially when in colonies). Always drunk and yelling
Nope, wrong. Yes you'll get drunken Brits in Spain, Greece, parts of Turkey etc. But Kenya, Jamaica etc, you'll struggle to find any "working class" Brit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 12:26 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,939,617 times
In this order, the worst foreign visitors to the U.S. are the following:

1. Canadians
2. Germans
3. Brits
4. Mexicans
5. Irish

At least that's been my experience.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:31 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hubard View Post
Well here in Europe, we have something called human rights, and none are more inalienable than the right to let go of a liquid load. Depriving me of this right would be cruel and unusual to say the very least of it. You might not want my waas on your petunias, but you should look at it from my perspective, and try to display a little tolerance.
Here in the US you're likely to get your wee wee shot off trying that...

Old 03-12-2013, 08:46 PM

I live very close to Disney World, the #1 tourist destination in the US.

The worst by far are the Brazilians. They are rude, pushy, obnoxious, loud. They curse, they don't tip, they travel in hordes of a hundred or more, blocking paths and acting like they own the place. They have a very, very poor reputation as a whole around here.

The Puerto Ricans also have a bad reputation for the same reasons as the Brazilians but at least they don't generally travel in packs of more than a dozen or so.

The Brits are generally considered OK, but too many of them don't tip or tip very poorly even after a service person has bent over backwards for them. They are easy to pick out of a crowd by the way they dress.

The Australians have a reputation for being boorish, in the right setting they are a ton of fun, but sometimes they need to chill and realize that not everyone wants the party to continue next door until 5:00 am. They can also be really poor tippers.

The French Canadians have a reputation as arrogant, rude, and cheap. They get into the left lane going 10 miles under the speed limit, and do nothing but complain about everything. They run servers ragged and then don't leave a dime for them.

On the other hand, the Japanese are considered extremely gracious and considerate. The German and Swedish tourists are also considered very polite.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:48 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I live very close to Disney World, the #1 tourist destination in the US.

The worst by far are the Brazilians. They are rude, pushy, obnoxious, loud. They curse, they don't tip, they travel in hordes of a hundred or more, blocking paths and acting like they own the place. They have a very, very poor reputation as a whole around here.

The Puerto Ricans also have a bad reputation for the same reasons as the Brazilians but at least they don't generally travel in packs of more than a dozen or so.

The Brits are generally considered OK, but too many of them don't tip or tip very poorly even after a service person has bent over backwards for them. They are easy to pick out of a crowd by the way they dress.

The Australians have a reputation for being boorish, in the right setting they are a ton of fun, but sometimes they need to chill and realize that not everyone wants the party to continue next door until 5:00 am. They can also be really poor tippers.

The French Canadians have a reputation as arrogant, rude, and cheap. They get into the left lane going 10 miles under the speed limit, and do nothing but complain about everything. They run servers ragged and then don't leave a dime for them.

On the other hand, the Japanese are considered extremely gracious and considerate. The German and Swedish tourists are also considered very polite.
The point you make about tipping - I think this may have something to do with the 'tipping culture' the US has that many other countries dont, as I understand it in the US the service industry workers rely more heavily on the tips as part of their wage compared to a lot of other western nations.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:45 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel10 View Post
Well...not really. BotellĂłn takes place EVERYWHERE and no fines.
In my city you can't see any botellĂłn since 5 years ago for this reason, they put fines. I don't know where you live by the way...

Old 03-13-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The point you make about tipping - I think this may have something to do with the 'tipping culture' the US has that many other countries dont, as I understand it in the US the service industry workers rely more heavily on the tips as part of their wage compared to a lot of other western nations.
One of the things that makes travelers "ugly" is not obeying local customs. Paris Hilton in a micro bikini on the beach in Dubai was a good example. No one asked her to wear a Burka, but she could have chosen a more modest one-piece.

When I travel I follow local customs in how I dress, travel, eat, shop, and tip. I spend a little time before I travel to do a bit of research. For example in Marigot, "haggling" over price is not only common, but expected. In Papaatee it is not common and would be considered odd, if not rude. Both are on islands under French authority.

I tip per the local customs. In Japan, nothing. In Europe, anything from rounding up to the nearest Euro to adding 10%. It depends on the type of place and the service I've received.

When in the US, visitors from foreign countries should practice our customs, which include extending gratuities in restaurants, taxis, spas, hotels, and more. Our pay scales are different, and service workers rely on tips for the bulk of their income. Fortunately many hotels and restaurants in tourist areas have begun adding mandatory gratuities which are given to servers, housekeepers, bellmen, etc.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
One of the things that makes travelers "ugly" is not obeying local customs. Paris Hilton in a micro bikini on the beach in Dubai was a good example. No one asked her to wear a Burka, but she could have chosen a more modest one-piece.

When I travel I follow local customs in how I dress, travel, eat, shop, and tip. I spend a little time before I travel to do a bit of research. For example in Marigot, "haggling" over price is not only common, but expected. In Papaatee it is not common and would be considered odd, if not rude. Both are on islands under French authority.

I tip per the local customs. In Japan, nothing. In Europe, anything from rounding up to the nearest Euro to adding 10%. It depends on the type of place and the service I've received.

When in the US, visitors from foreign countries should practice our customs, which include extending gratuities in restaurants, taxis, spas, hotels, and more. Our pay scales are different, and service workers rely on tips for the bulk of their income. Fortunately many hotels and restaurants in tourist areas have begun adding mandatory gratuities which are given to servers, housekeepers, bellmen, etc.
Right on. Don't tell me that these people don't KNOW that a 15 to 20 percent tip is expected at restaurants and that housekeepers and bellmen and valets rely on a few dollars as well. That is common knowledge and very clear in ANY travel book or blog. Besides that, the dollar is weak right now, so it's even easier for them to tip.

There's really no excuse for it. If you can't afford to tip appropriately, you can't afford the vacation you're on!

Old 03-13-2013, 08:48 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Did I or do I know that a 15 to 20 percent tip is expected? No. But I do know women shouldn't wear a bikini in Dubai!

Old 03-13-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Did I or do I know that a 15 to 20 percent tip is expected? No. But I do know women shouldn't wear a bikini in Dubai!
I'm not sure how people can travel to another country without spending one minute Googling "travel etiquette in __insert name of country__". I did this for the United States and immediately got a number of web sites where the very first thing mentioned is tipping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World