Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 08:33 AM

228 posts, read 367,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
My personal experience is Russians.. and not just one isolated incident but the worst is the following.. I was on a Turkish Airlines flight and a Russian couldn't find any open space in the overhead compartment so he opened up one above me, took my bag out and threw it on the floor to put his in. I was in complete shock for 10 seconds that someone would actually do this. I told him to pick it up, take his back out and put mine back in. When he refused I told the flight attendant and she asked him to do it and he finally did when other passengers were giving him a scournful look..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 08:35 AM

228 posts, read 367,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
The Chinese do that in their country too, there's graffiti everywhere

Old 07-08-2013, 11:29 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
I have never experienced Chinese tourists, but I have experienced plenty of Russian and they are bad.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:15 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
As a Brit, I do my best when visiting France, Germany, The Netherlands or Scandanavia to act in a courteous and respectful manner, as these nations are our equals and deserve respect.

When visiting the Latin, New World (America, New Zealand) and other developing countries, I tend to let my guard down a bit, as I figure they are probably extremely grateful for me to be there at all, and will probably be used to people discarding litter and defecating in the streets, which is why I do not refrain from such activities.
Brilliant, this made me guffaw out loud! :-D

Old 07-09-2013, 09:20 AM

78 posts, read 83,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Brilliant, this made me guffaw out loud! :-D
He sounds like a typical Canadian tourist to me. Acts like a saint in Europe, but litters like crazy in U.S. border cities.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:22 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Maybe if you actually saw one you would think differently. Americans in other countries are very nice, love starting a conversation with a local and maybe even grabbing a drink with one of them and talking to them how much they love the locals city.
I would think this is so. Our economy is such that many people cannot afford much of a vacation and I would guess that now your American traveler tends to be a bit more well heeled than your average American, which also would imply a better schooling and upbringing.

I don't think they are any longer publishing those Europe on Ten Dollars a Day books.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:01 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Chinese.

They are loud, they always take up the entire sidewalk and don't let other traffic through while on a tour group, they are pushy and cut in line when standing in line is what should be done, they have no regard for the locals, they are terrible tippers, and are the least interested in truly experiencing the local area (i.e. they want Chinese food when traveling, want Chinese music and culture, etc.).
I wish to slightly retract this statement.

Chinese folks from Hong Kong aren't pushy, or shove, etc. In fact the ones I met while on a tour of Victoria were polite and sincere and generally courteous.

I attribute this difference between mainlander Chinese and their Hong Kong cousins is that, unlike the mainland, Hong Kong had the benefit of over 150 years of British influence and culture and manners. All things are relative of course and this is just a case study, for sure, but I was struck at the difference between them and the loud, noisy, pushy, and generally crass mainlander Chinese people that I saw there. Next time the bony little ******* pushes me I'm pushing back, making sure they understand they do NOT do this in MY face and expect to get away with it.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:20 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I wish to slightly retract this statement.

Chinese folks from Hong Kong aren't pushy, or shove, etc. In fact the ones I met while on a tour of Victoria were polite and sincere and generally courteous.

I attribute this difference between mainlander Chinese and their Hong Kong cousins is that, unlike the mainland, Hong Kong had the benefit of over 150 years of British influence and culture and manners. All things are relative of course and this is just a case study, for sure, but I was struck at the difference between them and the loud, noisy, pushy, and generally crass mainlander Chinese people that I saw there. Next time the bony little ******* pushes me I'm pushing back, making sure they understand they do NOT do this in MY face and expect to get away with it.
I think in cultures where people push in front of each other and yell a lot you only get respect if you do the same. They don't recognize respect for another's space. There is no concept of the sanctity of the individual in their upbringing. Maybe poverty does that, but its kill or be killed; get what you can for yourself and the other guy can go to hell.

You have a choice to either lower yourself to that level or to get stepped on in the stampede.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:34 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
My personal experience is Russians.. and not just one isolated incident but the worst is the following.. I was on a Turkish Airlines flight and a Russian couldn't find any open space in the overhead compartment so he opened up one above me, took my bag out and threw it on the floor to put his in. I was in complete shock for 10 seconds that someone would actually do this. I told him to pick it up, take his back out and put mine back in. When he refused I told the flight attendant and she asked him to do it and he finally did when other passengers were giving him a scournful look..
Well if my mum was there she would not be able to contain herself and she would get up and start eating the head off him.

You see those eastern europeans.. very arrogant. Thinking that they can come into our countries and walk all over the top of us.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:35 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Maybe if you actually saw one you would think differently. Americans in other countries are very nice, love starting a conversation with a local and maybe even grabbing a drink with one of them and talking to them how much they love the locals city.
No they are not!!
You can hear them a mile away. All they do is shout and roar at the top of their voices to try and get attention. I find it very obnoxious.

Down at the giants causeway last summer... 'oh ma gad, look its the racks right over there, oh ma gad, look at tham oh ma gad!!'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World