U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:56 PM

24,682 posts, read 50,542,770 times

Advertisements

Have you noticed people from different nationalities tend to have a different sense of humour? I mean humour is unique to everyone, and there are some things which all people find funny, but do you really think there is really anything truth to the theory that certain nationalities tend to prefer some types of humour?

For example:

Americans - wacky, slapstick, one-line jokes, situational comedy, very 'obvious', political satire, observational humour

British - witty, ironic, subtle, satirical, clever, dry, self-deprecating

Irish - Like to tell funny stories

Australia - Raunchy, crude, impressions, taking the '****', social commentary,

French - Slapstick/caper/ridiculous style comedy, observational humour

Germany/Netherlands/Scandinavia - Absent, lol, jk...Dry

Italy, Spain - 'Slice of life', slightly surreal for Spain

Chinese - Similar to French

Japanese - Goofy/weird comedy, dark comedy

Indian - Kind of like Italian humour

Latin America - Similar to Spain

African - Day to day observational humour
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 12:40 AM

20,754 posts, read 17,048,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Have you noticed people from different nationalities tend to have a different sense of humour? I mean humour is unique to everyone, and there are some things which all people find funny, but do you really think there is really anything truth to the theory that certain nationalities tend to prefer some types of humour?

For example:

^
Describes Russian sense of humor as well ( or very close to it, just not as subtle probably.)

Few days ago I came across a sample of Russian joke ( anecdot) in "Moscow in your pocket" guide.
This is a joke on a subject of infamous Russian bureaucracy, it goes something like this;

An American spy arrives at the Lubyanka ( headquarters of the former KGB ( secret service)) having decided he is going to turn himself in. "Hello, I am an American spy" he tells the first officer he sees. "Go to the room 5" - the officer answers. The spy goes to room 5 - "Hello, I'm an American spy" he says. "Do you have a gun?" - the next officer asks. "Yes" he says.
"Then go to room 9." The spy goes to room 9. "Hello, I'm an American spy, I have a gun" he tells the officer in room 9. "Do you have a communication device?" he asks. "Yes" the spy replies. "Then go to room 14."
"Hello, I am an American spy, I have a gun and a communication device, I want to give myself up." The officer in room 14 asks "Do you have a mission?" "Yes" replies the spy. "Well why don't you go and get on with it, we are very busy here you know!"

##########

Yep, sounds pretty typical to me...

Last edited by erasure; 03-03-2012 at 01:06 AM..

Old 03-03-2012, 01:04 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,466,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'd say this describes the sense/kind of humour of most Swedes I know.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:50 AM

4,834 posts, read 9,430,409 times
How would you guys describe Canadian humour? I've always noticed it seemed somehow distinct but could never really put my finger on how exactly. Much like the cultures in general, I find the Anglo manifestation a bit similar to American humour, but still clearly distinct from it in important ways, rather obviously if you watch Canadian humour television shows. Quebecois humour seems particularly distinct, a bit like Anglo-Canadian humour, but with many unique indigenous elements, notably more of an enjoyment of gags. It doesn't seem much like French humour from what I can tell.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:21 AM

3,516 posts, read 4,545,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
^
Describes Russian sense of humor as well ( or very close to it, just not as subtle probably.)

Few days ago I came across a sample of Russian joke ( anecdot) in "Moscow in your pocket" guide.
This is a joke on a subject of infamous Russian bureaucracy, it goes something like this;

An American spy arrives at the Lubyanka ( headquarters of the former KGB ( secret service)) having decided he is going to turn himself in. "Hello, I am an American spy" he tells the first officer he sees. "Go to the room 5" - the officer answers. The spy goes to room 5 - "Hello, I'm an American spy" he says. "Do you have a gun?" - the next officer asks. "Yes" he says.
"Then go to room 9." The spy goes to room 9. "Hello, I'm an American spy, I have a gun" he tells the officer in room 9. "Do you have a communication device?" he asks. "Yes" the spy replies. "Then go to room 14."
"Hello, I am an American spy, I have a gun and a communication device, I want to give myself up." The officer in room 14 asks "Do you have a mission?" "Yes" replies the spy. "Well why don't you go and get on with it, we are very busy here you know!"

##########

Yep, sounds pretty typical to me...
Good one!

P.J. O'Rourke had some good Russian jokes in his books that poked fun at the USSR's backwards economy during the Cold War time.

A Soviet army general and US general are having a chat at one of those detente meetings that were so popular back in the day.

"So, how much calories you feed your troops every day?" asks the Soviet general. "We feed ours 1,000 calories!"

"Only one thousand calories?!" remarks the American general. "Why, our troops get at least 2,500 to 3,000 calories a day."

"Nonsense!" retorts the Soviet general, "No one can eat an entire sack of potatoes in one day!"

Old 03-03-2012, 07:25 AM

193 posts, read 717,382 times
This thread is just another indication for Trimac's general and stereotyped thinking. The statement that the Chinese humour is similar to the French one takes the cake

Old 03-03-2012, 07:25 AM

3,516 posts, read 4,545,447 times
How do you describe a nation's humour without telling a joke?

Malaysia shares a border with Thailand, and smuggling is an everyday occurrence given the different exchange rates.

Everyday a Thai farmer came riding his bicycle across the Sungai Golok bridge with a sack of sand strapped to the back of the bike. The Malaysian border guard checked him every day, thoroughly examining the sack of sand. Nothing in it.

This went on every day for an entire month. Finally, the border guard stopped the farmer and said, "I know you are smuggling something, but I don't know what it is. If I promise not to arrest you, and give you RM50, can you tell me what you are smuggling?"

The farmer thought for a moment and then said,

"Bicycles."

Old 03-03-2012, 07:51 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,941,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
I'd say this describes the sense/kind of humour of most Swedes I know.
Interesting.

Speaking of Swedish humour, I find this bloke to be hilarious (former lead singer from the band Whale):

Knackelibang on the door! - YouTube

Old 03-03-2012, 08:21 AM

195 posts, read 660,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Interesting.

Speaking of Swedish humour, I find this bloke to be hilarious (former lead singer from the band Whale):

Knackelibang on the door! - YouTube
Lol, you find that funny¿?

Old 03-03-2012, 08:48 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,941,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailarina View Post
Lol, you find that funny¿?
Yep, but that's the thing about humour. What makes us laugh doesn just differ by country, it differs by individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World