U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 09:52 PM

6,395 posts, read 11,732,818 times

Advertisements

Try to mention this first for the country you are originally from or the country you currently live in. This applies to countries of all sizes.

It can just be about your preferences for what you think is the best/worst parts of each country. However, it can also be about specific more objective factors for the best/worst parts of each country such as Excitement/Things to Do, People in that Local area, Economy, Stability, How scenic it is, etc.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 10:13 PM

24,682 posts, read 49,068,273 times
Long thread title lol.

For Australia it's hard to say. We're such a big country, but there isn't all that much cultural variation between states or regions. So my favourite areas are those with the most favourable climates and most attractive landscapes, as well as parts of the urban areas where there is a lot of culture/stuff to do.

Each place is so different has it's own attraction, but I'm particularly fond of Far North Queensland and Tasmania. Both include lush rainforest (tropical and temperate), plenty of opportunity for recreation and the most bio-diverse biomes in Australia. I love Tasmania for it's quaint, rustic charm, natural beauty, colonial towns, the mythology of the place. As for cities, Melbourne is my favourite. Sydney is beautiful but I find it a bit less livable; mainly due to cost of living and the actual urban environment. If you like outdoor pursuits though it's no contest, Sydney, Brisbane and Perth have it over Melbourne.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:23 AM

702 posts, read 1,057,346 times
Best part of England is probably the South West midlands towards the welsh border. Just as lush and green as more northern hilly parts, but with a sunnier & milder climate.. Worst bit is probably the fens, for looking so flat and artificial, and the coast, for being bleak and windswept.

The Fens: http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/cl...10245_16x9.jpg
Wye Valley: http://rocklandsfarm.com/wp-content/...lley-800px.jpg

Old 03-06-2012, 11:35 AM

3,966 posts, read 8,181,395 times
My favorite part of Ireland would be the West and Southwest coast (Kerry, West Cork, Coastal Clare/Limerick) The most beautiful scenery imaginable--it'd bring tears to your eyes.

The not so nice part would be the entire middle of the country (the Midlands)--flat, not much to look at and colder temperatures.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Long thread title lol.

For Australia it's hard to say. We're such a big country, but there isn't all that much cultural variation between states or regions. So my favourite areas are those with the most favourable climates and most attractive landscapes, as well as parts of the urban areas where there is a lot of culture/stuff to do.

Each place is so different has it's own attraction, but I'm particularly fond of Far North Queensland and Tasmania. Both include lush rainforest (tropical and temperate), plenty of opportunity for recreation and the most bio-diverse biomes in Australia. I love Tasmania for it's quaint, rustic charm, natural beauty, colonial towns, the mythology of the place. As for cities, Melbourne is my favourite. Sydney is beautiful but I find it a bit less livable; mainly due to cost of living and the actual urban environment. If you like outdoor pursuits though it's no contest, Sydney, Brisbane and Perth have it over Melbourne.
Why does Sydney, Brisbane, and Perth have more outdoor pursuit possibilities than Melbourne?

Yeah, I think I also prefer Melbourne a bit more than Sydney.

I didn’t know that about Tasmania!

From what I know about Australia my favorite places are Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Adelaide, Perth, most of general Southeastern Australia, and most of the coastal beaches of Australia.

My least favorite places: Most of Northern Australia (Northwest of Cairns, North of Alice Springs, East of Karratha), and Darwin.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonAreaWeatherSummary View Post
Best part of England is probably the South West midlands towards the welsh border. Just as lush and green as more northern hilly parts, but with a sunnier & milder climate.. Worst bit is probably the fens, for looking so flat and artificial, and the coast, for being bleak and windswept.

The Fens: http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/cl...10245_16x9.jpg
Wye Valley: http://rocklandsfarm.com/wp-content/...lley-800px.jpg
I still like some of the coastal areas of England such as Brighton. Weather is very overrated in plenty of ways for the perception and quality of life of a place.

My Favorite places in UK are London, Brighton, Birmingham, Liverpool, Leeds, some of the general countryside areas, Edinburgh, Glasgow, and the mountainous/hilly areas of Scotland.

My Least Favorite Places in UK: Most of the low elevation areas of Northern Scotland, Most southern parts of Scotland, That area of the UK that borders Ireland to the Northwest such as where Belfast is, Northeastern England that is Northeast of Leeds, and most of Wales.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:41 PM

42,661 posts, read 78,542,838 times
USA

Best -- The countryside

Worst -- The capital and big cities.

All other countries:

Best -- The countryside

Worst -- The capital and big cities.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:52 PM

5,599 posts, read 9,016,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I still like some of the coastal areas of England such as Brighton. Weather is very overrated in plenty of ways for the perception and quality of life of a place.

My Favorite places in UK are London, Brighton, Birmingham, Liverpool, Leeds, some of the general countryside areas, Edinburgh, Glasgow, and the mountainous/hilly areas of Scotland.

My Least Favorite Places in UK: Most of the low elevation areas of Northern Scotland, Most southern parts of Scotland, That area of the UK that borders Ireland to the Northwest such as where Belfast is, Northeastern England that is Northeast of Leeds, and most of Wales.
Lol based on what, amuse me? It's not like you've actually ever been to any of those places or know anything about them...

"That area of the UK that borders Ireland to the Northwest such as where Belfast is" (It's called 'Northern Ireland'...)

Old 03-07-2012, 01:46 AM

24,682 posts, read 49,068,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Why does Sydney, Brisbane, and Perth have more outdoor pursuit possibilities than Melbourne?

Yeah, I think I also prefer Melbourne a bit more than Sydney.

I didn’t know that about Tasmania!

From what I know about Australia my favorite places are Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Adelaide, Perth, most of general Southeastern Australia, and most of the coastal beaches of Australia.

My least favorite places: Most of Northern Australia (Northwest of Cairns, North of Alice Springs, East of Karratha), and Darwin.
Just the weather, I suppose, but compared to many places it's not that bad, you can still go out just more likely to need a brolly or a raincoat.

Have you been? Don't judge too much if you haven't been. You might find the Top End the most amazing part of the country. The dry Outback is very remote though.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:52 AM

22,256 posts, read 25,754,191 times
Best parts of UK, in my opinion:
West London
Edinburgh
Cumbria
North Yorkshire
Surrey
Aberdeenshire
Northern Isles
Dorset
Bristol

Worst parts of the UK, in my opinion:
East London
East Glasgow
City of Bradford
Merseyside
North Wales
Thurrock
Medway
Lanarkshire
Lancashire coast
Teesside
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World