U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 06:52 AM

24,257 posts, read 23,215,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post

For Living In and Visiting: (At least 29 countries total):

Sweden, Norway, Denmark

For visiting but not to live in (Around 44 countries total):
Finland
Just for interest, what makes Finland so terrible that you couldn't live here, but you could live in all the other Nordic countries?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 12:24 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,890,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Just for interest, what makes Finland so terrible that you couldn't live here, but you could live in all the other Nordic countries?
sorry no asking questions about why someone doesn't like your country its illegal on city data just like thepresentpast thinks so. Oh wait your not talking about America never mind.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:04 PM

7,811 posts, read 13,141,726 times
Quote:
Almost all of the countries in my list only for visiting have plenty of good, redeeming features about them, and having something unique, impressive, or interesting about them for me wanting to visit there.

I wouldn’t say any of those places are horrible. There is just a noticeable difference between the countries I want to live in other than visiting vs. the countries only for visiting based on my personal preferences related to what I look for in a place in my life.

I just see myself being able to live in Sweden, Norway, and Denmark very easily compared to Finland. They are more cosmopolitan, multicultural, and diverse, even while continuing to be very Scandinavian for Sweden, Norway, Denmark. The language is much easier to learn for a native English speaker compared to Finnish. Those countries also have more variety in cities/towns, and some more urban destinations compared to Finland.

However, my opinion for Finland became more positive, and started to be included for the visiting list.

Your opinion for Estonia vs. Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland might be similar to my view of Finland vs. the Scandinavian countries. You should continue enjoying living in Finland. The quality of life is good there, one of the best education systems in the world, economically wealthy, or at least lack of poverty because the economy benefiting people is balanced, and living there for a very long time. All of these countries, except Estonia, rank well for being peaceful and having lack of corruption.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
sorry no asking questions about why someone doesn't like your country its illegall on city data just like thepresentpast thinks so. Oh waitt your not talking about America never mind.
There you go again with endless false interpretations for people’s posts, very poor misunderstandings, endless false generalizations, and sometimes even spreading lies about some places in the world.

Can you please just not respond to my post then if you don’t agree? And then I won’t respond or even see your posts. Actually, even if you continue to respond to my posts, I am just going to ignore it and not respond. lol It is on my ignore list already.

We should just politely disagree for now on when we don't agree, and ignore each other if we sometimes have such opposite, and divisive opinions.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:02 PM

24,257 posts, read 23,215,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I just see myself being able to live in Sweden, Norway, and Denmark very easily compared to Finland. They are more cosmopolitan, multicultural, and diverse, even while continuing to be very Scandinavian for Sweden, Norway, Denmark. The language is much easier to learn for a native English speaker compared to Finnish. Those countries also have more variety in cities/towns, and some more urban destinations compared to Finland.
The language is an issue, that's a fact, and a good argument. But to say that Danes and Norwegians are more cosmopolitan than Finns... no. Norwegians, definitely no no no. I think your perception of Finns has stuck in the 70's, and I mean no offence.

Finland is not as multicultural as the other countries, but the immigrant population is growing rapidly. It is estimated that the Helsinki region will have 20-23% of the population of immigrant background in 2030, surpassing the percentage in Copenhagen. 12% of the population is now speaking foreign languages in the Helsinki region, so double up in 15 years.
And in all countries the immigrant population is mostly in the largest cities. Take a small 30k city in Sweden, and 99% of the people are ethnic Swedes, like is the situation in Finland as well.

And I'm not anti-immigration in any way, but there were huge riots and car-burning festivities in the Swedish suburbs just months ago, so some people in Sweden may say that this multicultural thing isn't going too well. Needless to say, not a single car has been burned to ash in Finland.

Diversity... Remember, we are the only country with two official languages , and have at least as many domestic dialects as Sweden and Norway. Much more than Denmark. And those 'Southern Finns' commonly known as Estonians are coming here in large numbers. Our acquaintances from the East are as well, and they are loaded.

While Finland has adopted a lot of the Scandinavian, especially Swedish culture while retaining our 'own thing', I think as a big plus, not a minus. And I'm proud to say it. We are not at all less cultured or more boring than our Scandinavian friends. And surely a lot less politically correct than the Swedes. But still friendly as hell. And very informal. Live a year in Stockholm and then one year in Helsinki, and you have no problem defining which city has nicer and friendlier people. You'll choose Helsinki in a hearbeat.

Like beer? The Swedes and Norwegians don't. Don't like seafood? Don't go to Norway. Don't like wind and rain? Denmark is not an optional choice.

And we have nice cities as well. Ugly too, but so does the other countries.

The Scandinavian countries are all great, but I think you have a perception of Finns being isolationist and xenophobic grumpy rednecks, but that isn't true at all.

Ok, one more thing. If you move to Sweden, you will not be rid of the Finns, as 5% of the Swedish population has a parent born in Finland. Second and third generation included, we are close to 10% of Sweden's population.

Last edited by Ariete; 07-19-2013 at 03:20 PM..

Old 07-19-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Some of them live in countries that border 5 other countries.
We border 2 countries.
Geography 101
Can you guess at least 1 exact European country having geographic borders with 5 other countries? It starts with the letter S and not the letter B or N. Did you forget some European countries have even more geographic borders with other countries? There is up to 9 European countries bordering Germany, 8 for Austria, and 8 for France.

This is very exciting for international tourism, especially compared to Canada, and USA being more geographically isolated.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:38 PM

3,578 posts, read 3,593,964 times
well, im facsinated by the US, but i wouldnt want to live there. Countries i would both want to live in and visit: australia and Canada.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPAÑOL View Post
I think it's because some Americans have prejudices about Spain and think it is a version of Mexico in Europe, which look like the typical Mexican we eat tacos and beans. Nothing is further from the truth, no offense to Mexico and its culture, they have their own indigenous culture that more Spanish. Spain is or modern European country with great infrastructure, we are the third most visited country in the world. We are used to seeing foreigners and strive to make us understand if we do not speak your language. Spain has the world's best hotel infrastructure, high-speed train in Europe more miles, good health system, etc.. We are welcoming and friendly, a great country.
You are right for what you are saying with the significant percentage of Americans not knowing Spain compared to the Spanish speaking South American/Central American/Caribbean countries, and not realizing they are not the same.

Spain is quite different compared to Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Cuba, Ecuador, Bolivia, Paraguay. Wow, there is a lot of Spanish speaking countries in this continental region!

However, I believe Argentina, and Chile are the most similar to Spain compared to those other Spanish speaking countries. They are the most culturally wealthy, and have the most developed versions of Spanish Latin culture, having some similar personality traits, and racial, ethnic demographics in the population.

I view them in a much higher class compared to those other countries, and want to learn more of the Spanish language only for Argentina, Chile, Spain, and definitely not for Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela, Costa Rica, and Guatemala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPAÑOL View Post
My whole countries, artistic beauty and natural beauty in Europe:

-Italy: It is essential to know the history of Europe. Gorgeous cities, country of design, great food, the Alps, the lakes, the coast ...

-France: Not only is Paris, French Riviera, Loire Castles, the country of fashion, good food, very comprehensive country

-Spain: Great story, great nightlife, good museums, good transportation, Madrid, Barcelona, Seville, Costa del Sol, Mallorca, great chefs ...

For me they are the three largest countries of European culture and besides good weather in all.
Yes, they are some of my favorite European countries for France, Italy, and Spain.

There is also Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Germany, UK, Romania, and Portugal for my other favorite European countries.

I have favorite countries in Asia, Oceania, North America, and South America too.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:14 PM

87 posts, read 224,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Some of them live in countries that border 5 other countries.
We border 2 countries.
Geography 101
Unfortunately Spain only shares a border with three countries, being a small country Andorra. But its location makes it an enclave of privileged routes. The Mediterranean and the Atlantic hugging at home. Canada and the U.S. share a border of thousands of miles and many cultural ties, sometimes that does not happen in Europe. I live in Seville, do not know if it's well known in the U.S., southern Spain. Of the two cities I still much the Wolves, Ricky Rubio, not so much the Vikings

Old 07-19-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
The language is an issue, that's a fact, and a good argument. But to say that Danes and Norwegians are more cosmopolitan than Finns... no. Norwegians, definitely no no no. I think your perception of Finns has stuck in the 70's, and I mean no offence.

Finland is not as multicultural as the other countries, but the immigrant population is growing rapidly. It is estimated that the Helsinki region will have 20-23% of the population of immigrant background in 2030, surpassing the percentage in Copenhagen. 12% of the population is now speaking foreign languages in the Helsinki region, so double up in 15 years.
And in all countries the immigrant population is mostly in the largest cities. Take a small 30k city in Sweden, and 99% of the people are ethnic Swedes, like is the situation in Finland as well.

And I'm not anti-immigration in any way, but there were huge riots and car-burning festivities in the Swedish suburbs just months ago, so some people in Sweden may say that this multicultural thing isn't going too well. Needless to say, not a single car has been burned to ash in Finland.

Diversity... Remember, we are the only country with two official languages , and have at least as many domestic dialects as Sweden and Norway. Much more than Denmark. And those 'Southern Finns' commonly known as Estonians are coming here in large numbers. Our acquaintances from the East are as well, and they are loaded.

While Finland has adopted a lot of the Scandinavian, especially Swedish culture while retaining our 'own thing', I think as a big plus, not a minus. And I'm proud to say it. We are not at all less cultured or more boring than our Scandinavian friends. And surely a lot less politically correct than the Swedes. But still friendly as hell. And very informal. Live a year in Stockholm and then one year in Helsinki, and you have no problem defining which city has nicer and friendlier people. You'll choose Helsinki in a hearbeat.

Like beer? The Swedes and Norwegians don't. Don't like seafood? Don't go to Norway. Don't like wind and rain? Denmark is not an optional choice.

And we have nice cities as well. Ugly too, but so does the other countries.

The Scandinavian countries are all great, but I think you have a perception of Finns being isolationist and xenophobic grumpy rednecks, but that isn't true at all.

Ok, one more thing. If you move to Sweden, you will not be rid of the Finns, as 5% of the Swedish population has a parent born in Finland. Second and third generation included, we are close to 10% of Sweden's population.
Well, these countries is able to be easily categorized together in the same group for Nordic countries. However, there are the differences too and the reason why there is a separate Scandinavian label for Sweden, Norway, Denmark compared to Finland, and you already know this very well.

I used the terms cosmopolitan, multicultural, and diverse in a synonymous association and the same definition. However, they don’t always represent the same exact definition and events happening in a place.

This is interesting to see Finland is also changing for immigration and the racial, ethnic demographics in the population. Is Finland becoming more Asian friendly?

Sweden, Norway, and Denmark just appear to have more cosmopolitan, multicultural, diversity for people outside of Europe, especially for East, South, and Southeast Asians. I even read somewhere Asian themed restaurants is becoming the most popular form of food in some neighborhoods of Copenhagen, Stockholm, and Oslo. International tourism to some Asian countries such as Thailand is becoming more popular for people from the Scandinavian countries. This is what I am referring to related to this part of the topic. Most of the multiculturalism in Finland seems to be Europeans from other regions of Europe.

For most of Europe, including Scandinavia, immigration from Arab muslim middle eastern countries is not going well, a failure, and having to be reduced in the amount.

However, I believe this is completely different for immigrants and people from other regions of the world, and a more successful form of multiculturalism in Europe with people from East, South, Southeast Asia, the Americas, and Oceania, including for Christians, Buddhists, non-religious people, and spiritual people. Pretty much anyone that is not muslim.

Well, I just realized Denmark, and Iceland does not have much variety of cities/towns compared to Sweden, and Norway.

Yes, I appreciate, like, and respect Scandinavia, and Nordic countries for plenty of reasons, especially for being relatively peaceful countries with minimal corruption, unique regional culture, the music scene, very developed, economically wealthy, lack of poverty, one of the best education systems in the world, and the quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World