U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 07:33 PM

87 posts, read 224,302 times

Advertisements

[quote=Thepastpresentandfuture;30569533]You are right for what you are saying with the significant percentage of Americans not knowing Spain compared to the Spanish speaking South American/Central American/Caribbean countries, and not realizing they are not the same.

Spain is quite different compared to Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Cuba, Ecuador, Bolivia, Paraguay. Wow, there is a lot of Spanish speaking countries in this continental region!

However, I believe Argentina, and Chile are the most similar to Spain compared to those other Spanish speaking countries. They are the most culturally wealthy, and have the most developed versions of Spanish Latin culture, having some similar personality traits, and racial, ethnic demographics in the population.

I view them in a much higher class compared to those other countries, and want to learn more of the Spanish language only for Argentina, Chile, Spain, and definitely not for Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela, Costa Rica, and Guatemala.

The Spanish share more genetic with Argentina, Uruguay and Chile. With Mexico only 10% are direct descendants of Spanish and are the ones that confuse us at the border and are so-called Spanish when they are not. The leaders of Latin American countries give some banana republic image and everything Hispanic confused a lot and not for good. I love the Space Needle, I hope to return the Supersonics
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 09:48 PM

24,257 posts, read 23,215,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Well, these countries is able to be easily categorized together in the same group for Nordic countries. However, there are the differences too and the reason why there is a separate Scandinavian label for Sweden, Norway, Denmark compared to Finland, and you already know this very well.

This is interesting to see Finland is also changing for immigration and the racial, ethnic demographics in the population. Is Finland becoming more Asian friendly?

Sweden, Norway, and Denmark just appear to have more cosmopolitan, multicultural, diversity for people outside of Europe, especially for East, South, and Southeast Asians. I even read somewhere Asian themed restaurants is becoming the most popular form of food in some neighborhoods of Copenhagen, Stockholm, and Oslo. International tourism to some Asian countries such as Thailand is becoming more popular for people from the Scandinavian countries. This is what I am referring to related to this part of the topic. Most of the multiculturalism in Finland seems to be Europeans from other regions of Europe.
Yes, geographically there's some kind of stupid definition, a odd one, as Denmark don't have a land border with any of the Nordic countries. Finland has with Sweden and Norway. Yes, there's a definite linguistic difference, and they are all monarchies. But socially, culturally, politically and in cuisine the differences so small, most foreigners wouldn't notice them at all. Ignore the language and monarchy things, and I sincerely don't see the need for two different labels.

But let's move on. Yes, Finland is certainly becoming more Asian friendly, there has been a quick growth of the Chinese, Indian and Thai population. The Chinese nationals have already surpassed the German nationals, which is a 'traditional' immigrant group, and the Indians will soon surpass the British nationals. (Keep in mind that some Germans and British hold dual citizenship and they won't show in the stats as foreign, though.) Note also that data on ethnicity and religion is illegal to collect, and 2nd generation immigrants born in Finland with the mother or both parents with Finnish or dual citizenship don't show up in any statistics, something we have learned to regret.
Thailand is also one of the most popular tourist destinations in Finland. And the number of Japanese tourists here grew by 20% in 2012 compared to 2011 (In amount almost as many as Estonian tourists in 2012). Europeans are still responsible for 50% of the immigration, you're right there, including a weird 'ethnic group' called Former Soviet Union.

Asian food again as most popular, not happening here. We have good Chinese and Indian restaurants, but I can't see anything replacing pizza, pasta, meatballs and kebab.

Last edited by Ariete; 07-19-2013 at 09:58 PM..

Old 07-19-2013, 11:56 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,890,420 times
Quote:
Almost all of the countries in my list only for visiting have plenty of good, redeeming features about them, and having something unique, impressive, or interesting about them for me wanting to visit there.

I wouldn’t say any of those places are horrible. There is just a noticeable difference between the countries I want to live in other than visiting vs. the countries only for visiting based on my personal preferences related to what I look for in a place in my life.

I just see myself being able to live in Sweden, Norway, and Denmark very easily compared to Finland. They are more cosmopolitan, multicultural, and diverse, even while continuing to be very Scandinavian for Sweden, Norway, Denmark. The language is much easier to learn for a native English speaker compared to Finnish. Those countries also have more variety in cities/towns, and some more urban destinations compared to Finland.

However, my opinion for Finland became more positive, and started to be included for the visiting list.

Your opinion for Estonia vs. Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland might be similar to my view of Finland vs. the Scandinavian countries. You should continue enjoying living in Finland. The quality of life is good there, one of the best education systems in the world, economically wealthy, or at least lack of poverty because the economy benefiting people is balanced, and living there for a very long time. All of these countries, except Estonia, rank well for being peaceful and having lack of corruption.
There you go again with poor misunderstandings so sad

Old 07-20-2013, 08:17 PM

14,870 posts, read 20,423,962 times
Quote:
Can you guess at least 1 exact European country having geographic borders with 5 other countries? It starts with the letter S and not the letter B or N. Did you forget some European countries have even more geographic borders with other countries? There is up to 9 European countries bordering Germany, 8 for Austria, and 8 for France.

This is very exciting for international tourism, especially compared to Canada, and USA being more geographically isolated.
Switzerland

Old 07-20-2013, 10:58 PM

843 posts, read 1,567,341 times
Japan is a great place to visit, but I don't want to live there because of earthquake.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:23 PM

2,384 posts, read 6,752,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPAÑOL View Post
My whole countries, artistic beauty and natural beauty in Europe:

-Italy: It is essential to know the history of Europe. Gorgeous cities, country of design, great food, the Alps, the lakes, the coast ...

-France: Not only is Paris, French Riviera, Loire Castles, the country of fashion, good food, very comprehensive country

-Spain: Great story, great nightlife, good museums, good transportation, Madrid, Barcelona, Seville, Costa del Sol, Mallorca, great chefs ...

For me they are the three largest countries of European culture and besides good weather in all.

I agree... These 3 countries are the best countries in Europe in terms of culture and weather as well as history and architecture

Old 07-21-2013, 07:22 PM

7,811 posts, read 13,141,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPAÑOL View Post
The Spanish share more genetic with Argentina, Uruguay and Chile. With Mexico only 10% are direct descendants of Spanish and are the ones that confuse us at the border and are so-called Spanish when they are not. The leaders of Latin American countries give some banana republic image and everything Hispanic confused a lot and not for good. I love the Space Needle, I hope to return the Supersonics
I expected Spain, Argentina, and Chile to have more positive relations with each other, like being best friends, for having the most culturally wealthy, and developed forms of Spanish Latin culture, and some similar racial, ethnic demographics in the population.

However, a surprising percentage of people in each country doesn’t share this opinion yet and sometimes even being indifferent with each other. Maybe the relations between these countries is going to change and get much better over time, and very soon.

I have plenty of favorite countries all over the world, including in Europe, Asia, North America, Oceania, and South America.

Yes, too many Americans have false misconceptions and stereotypes for Spain vs. most of the Spanish speaking countries in South America/Central America/Caribbean. They need to know more of the reality in the world.

For Spain in particular, I know my favorite places there are Madrid, Barcelona, Ibiza, San Sebastian, Valencia, Seville, Malaga, Canary islands, Balearic islands, Pyrenees, and Vigo.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:44 PM

15 posts, read 28,056 times
español,esta claro que los españoles tenemos mas en comun con argentinos,uruguayos y chilenos que con los demas paises de habla hispana tanto culturalmente como geneticamente pero tambien te digo que no nos debieramos avergonzar o mirar con superioridad a nuestros hermanos que tienen mas sangre indigena o mestiza.Tu te sientes ofendido porque te confundan con un mexicano? Si es asi porque? Porque son mas oscuros y mas pobres?...si fuese asi seria un pobre argumento ya que nosotros tambien somos mas oscuros y mas pobres que los norte europeos

Old 07-21-2013, 08:47 PM

259,029 posts, read 86,957,064 times
Ireland, Scotland, Italy, Germany, and even Russia.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:08 PM

7,811 posts, read 13,141,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
[/b]

I agree... These 3 countries are the best countries in Europe in terms of culture and weather as well as history and architecture

Hey. I responded to your post earlier in this topic a week ago. Did you see my recent post response yet:

Quote:
Yes, your experience for living in Portugal and the Philippines is very interesting, unique, and exciting for life.

The photos I see for the city of Porto in Portugal is a pleasant surprise such as for Avenida dos Aliados, the historical part of Porto, and the local iconic Majestic Café Bar. I also enjoy the photos I see for Boracay island in Central Philippines and a world record sky lantern festival in Western Visayas Iloilo province. They are culturally rich too and underrated tourism destinations.

Plenty of people believe Spain and Portugal are very similar to each other. However, the reality is they have plenty of differences as you said to go with some similarities.

I agree for the variation of life between Spain vs. Portugal, and Spain having more vibrant cultural festivals, being more modern, and being more cosmopolitan multicultural, even if Portugal is nice for experiencing too.

Outside of Paris in France, there is an abundance of other worthwhile magnificent places to visit and live in such as Lyon, Nice, Grenoble, Rhone-Alpes, Provence Cote d’Azur, and much more. Italy is more similar to Spain than compared to most of France, even if not having the same character, personality, scenery, and not quite as cosmopolitan multicultural friendly for Italy compared to Spain and France.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Thank you yes I used to live in Portugal, lived there for 10 years.
Philippines will always be my favourite for living in because of the life and culture I have gotten used to.
Portugal on the other hand is for visiting. While there might be good things about living there but it doesn't have so much cultural and religious festivities as Spain. Yes they also have fiestas but not as big as Spain and holy week in Lisboa is really lame, totally nothing unlike Spain that is celebrated everywhere and their Holy Week practices are very very similar to what we also have in the Philippines. Also, Portugal is it is not so multi cultural so it's a minus.

I have never been to Italy that's why I don't know if I would ever consider living there one day. But I think they are as lively as Spaniards. I love lively people and lively culture that is why I like Spain. I think Italians are lively and fun too and I also like their trait of giving importance to family, and their al fresco lunch and dinner with the whole family in their backyard. But I think I will have to go there first to see

I love Paris that's why it's a place I would love to live in. It is a beautiful city and it's just really romantic and elegant.

There is just something about Venezuela that interest me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World