U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 07:32 PM

14,030 posts, read 21,223,922 times

Advertisements

Check this out

Around the world in four minutes: Briton who became first person to visit all 201 nations without flying crams his four-year trip into quick film | Mail Online

This guy have traveled to 201 countries. So He has literally been to every corner of the world, every country.
It took him 4 years. Pretty amazing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 10:09 PM

10,616 posts, read 14,963,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Check this out

Around the world in four minutes: Briton who became first person to visit all 201 nations without flying crams his four-year trip into quick film | Mail Online

This guy have traveled to 201 countries. So He has literally been to every corner of the world, every country.

I bet i saw more in the 16 countries i've traveled than him in the 201 countries.
What he does is just travel from border to border. Just look at the map, so many area's he didn't go to.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:26 PM

5,565 posts, read 3,760,372 times
If I had to live somewhere besides the U.S., Australia would be my first choice. I have been there twice for a total of a couple of months, and feel like I'm "almost" home. Otherwise, probably somewhere in the Western Hemisphere with mild weather and a large English-speaking population.

I'm pretty happy anywhere in the world I am while traveling, but naturally some places are more enjoyable to me than others. Barcelona is my favorite foreign big city. Rio is a close second, but I felt less safe there. India is the only country I ever visited and left thinking, "I never want to go back." Now, years later, I would go back.
Singapore and South Korea are boring IMHO. I love Bali, but I wouldn't want to live there.
In the last two months I have been to China, Tibet (1st time), Canada, Kauai, and Maui. All are great, and I have South Africa, and Costa Rica on "my list" for 2014.
Then I plan to leave California, and try retired life in Maui.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:35 AM

14,030 posts, read 21,223,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

I bet i saw more in the 16 countries i've traveled than him in the 201 countries.
What he does is just travel from border to border. Just look at the map, so many area's he didn't go to.
Well, he also never traveled by airplane. It took over 4 years. I don't know, I think its pretty cool. And did you watch the video?

Old 08-05-2013, 07:05 PM

7,811 posts, read 13,141,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Check this out

The online article and title might initially seem a bit misleading. This was the first person in the world traveling to all 195+ countries without flying in an airplane.

It is noticeably different compared to some people in the past already having traveled to all 195+ countries in the world with airplane, and probably seeing much more of most countries in a deeper level experience compared to a very superficial visit.

However, this was at least a decent attempt for someone to technically travel to all 195+ countries in the world in the time constraint, no airplane, and with such an incredibly minimal amount of money.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:08 PM

7,811 posts, read 13,141,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

Yes, I agree. The person in the online website and video seemed to have mostly very brief very superficial visits in most countries. The photos just has this Brit posing next to country border signs on a highway, appearing extremely snobby and pretentious, not really going deep into most countries or taking in all of the scenery, authentic culture, tourism attractions, most prominent cities/towns, and nature scenery.

Sometimes the bragging rights game for number of countries visited can get frivolous, overly pretentious, and offensive to the vast majority of the world population continuing to not have the same exact opportunity. It is good to occasionally be modest, and humble.

It is also more about depth of traveling experience, and making the most of any traveling opportunities: quality vs. not just quantity and some superficial visits or making it a not necessary competition for number of countries visited.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:41 AM

86 posts, read 115,728 times
Visit, but not live in

Bhutan, Sardinia (Italy), New Zealand, Russia, Chile, US, Canada, Australia... etc.

Visit and live in

Malta, Sardinia, France, Italy, Norway, Corsica.

Last edited by britguy1; 07-21-2014 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: added Corsica

Old 07-21-2014, 10:19 PM

277 posts, read 609,305 times
to visit: Bhutan, North Korea, Japan, South Korea, USA, Canada, Taiwan, Iran, Russia, Canada, Argentina, Chile, Algeria, Mozambique, Iceland, Myanmar, Cape Verde, Mauritius, Maldives, Sri Lanka.

to live in: Italy, Canada, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Japan, South Korea, China, Norway, Mozambique, Iceland, Taiwan, France, Switzerland, Spain.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:57 PM

2,658 posts, read 3,079,487 times
Very realistic to summarize the countries for me.

Visit
Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Barbados, Belgium, Fiji, Finland, France, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Luxembourg, Maldives, Malta, Marshall Islands, Namibia, New Zealand, Portugal, Qatar, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates

Live in
Canada, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States

Old 07-22-2014, 05:21 PM

8,717 posts, read 7,413,537 times
Visit but not live in:
India,Turkey,Brazil,Egypt,Morocco,Tunisia,Spain,It aly,Greece,US,Russia,Romania,Portugal,Poland,Cambo dia,Mexico,Japan,Hungary,Serbia,Montenegro

Live in:
Most of the Western,Northern,and Central European countries+Canada,Australia,New Zealand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World