U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 05:48 AM

11,609 posts, read 11,542,396 times

Advertisements

I'd love to visit these but not live in them:

France
Spain
Jordan
Morocco
Greece
Italy
Dubai
Malta
Cyprus
Turkey
New Zealand
Pacific Islands
Egypt
Lebanon
Switzerland
Netherlands
UK
Canada

The places above are either non-English speaking (I wouldn't stand that), poor (bad quality of life) or just too cold/hot to live in.

I guess I'd only visit and live in California, namely San Diego for similar culture (English speaking) and mild weather.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 07:42 AM

22,256 posts, read 28,046,953 times
I would be willing to live in all of the following countries:

France
Germany
Spain
Italy
Portugal
Sweden
Norway
Denmark
Finland
US*
Canada
Australia
New Zealand
Japan
South Korea
Austria
SwitzerlandNetherlands
Belgium
Luxembourg
Estonia
Czech Republic
Poland
Argentina
Uruguay
Chile
Slovenia
Malaysia

France and Germany are the two countries I would most prefer to live in though - Spain and Italy are good as well. Scandinavia perhaps.

Maybe Iceland but I'm not sure - it's too isolated and remote, and very few people and no large or even medium-sized cities.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:15 AM

2,540 posts, read 1,433,865 times
This thread is interesting but I bet the predominant number of posters are Caucasians and hence the responses.

But if you are an Asian or African person the immigration choices become a must more restricted one. As a non Caucasian you feel the subtle disdain look, vibe or undercurrent racism in countries that are predominantly white and have no long history of immigration. It is difficult to define it but if you are non Caucasian you have probably noticed it. Like one of the Asian Indian posters earlier on who said that she did not ever want to live in Canada. I lived for 3.5 years in the UK and though I was on track to become a permanent resident, the question I was asked in job interviews was "what are your plans?" which was another way of saying "when are you planning to get out of this country and go back to your home country". The only person who wanted me to stay there was an Asian- British who worked in the Home Office in Croydon and wanted me to stick around and get my permanent residency.

Some of the rudest behavior I found were in Austria (Vienna and Salzburg) and Zurich in Switzerland. The hotel staff and the other support people we met were curt and sometimes rude to our simple questions and requests but became all smiles when they had to talk to a German speaking Caucasian next in line. I regretted spending my hard earned dollars on such rude people. By contrast Berlin was fun and welcoming. I did not see other cities in Germany than Berlin and Frankfurt, but the people there were much nicer.

I like Helsinki and found people were nice but it was boring place and it is a bit too cold for me in the winter. I hate cold places and hence would not live there. My job, and learning a new language, would preclude me from living in most countries. After 30 years out of my home country I might not even fit in there. So my only choice is USA for the near future, especially the warmer southern states.

Last edited by kamban; 01-12-2015 at 08:35 AM..

Old 01-12-2015, 08:31 AM

2,637 posts, read 3,216,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Dubai
Dubai is not a country.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:09 PM
FBF

606 posts, read 862,621 times
UK and Ireland....great places to visit due to its history but would not like to live.

I would not mind settling in France, Germany, or Austria if allowed and have a career opportunity.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:13 PM
FBF

606 posts, read 862,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
This thread is interesting but I bet the predominant number of posters are Caucasians and hence the responses.

But if you are an Asian or African person the immigration choices become a must more restricted one. As a non Caucasian you feel the subtle disdain look, vibe or undercurrent racism in countries that are predominantly white and have no long history of immigration. It is difficult to define it but if you are non Caucasian you have probably noticed it. Like one of the Asian Indian posters earlier on who said that she did not ever want to live in Canada. I lived for 3.5 years in the UK and though I was on track to become a permanent resident, the question I was asked in job interviews was "what are your plans?" which was another way of saying "when are you planning to get out of this country and go back to your home country". The only person who wanted me to stay there was an Asian- British who worked in the Home Office in Croydon and wanted me to stick around and get my permanent residency.

Some of the rudest behavior I found were in Austria (Vienna and Salzburg) and Zurich in Switzerland. The hotel staff and the other support people we met were curt and sometimes rude to our simple questions and requests but became all smiles when they had to talk to a German speaking Caucasian next in line. I regretted spending my hard earned dollars on such rude people. By contrast Berlin was fun and welcoming. I did not see other cities in Germany than Berlin and Frankfurt, but the people there were much nicer.

I like Helsinki and found people were nice but it was boring place and it is a bit too cold for me in the winter. I hate cold places and hence would not live there. My job, and learning a new language, would preclude me from living in most countries. After 30 years out of my home country I might not even fit in there. So my only choice is USA for the near future, especially the warmer southern states.
When you say Asian...do you mean the British equivalent of South Asian or the North American equivalent of East or Southeast Asians?

I was mistaken to be East or Southeast Asian in Germany and Austria that the only rude service I received was from Vienna and one hotel on Munich.

Salzburg was nicer in my experience....but I have heard stories of black or dark brown individuals being mistreated in parts of Germany and Austria (Not me).

Last edited by FBF; 01-12-2015 at 10:23 PM..

Old 01-13-2015, 10:17 AM

2,540 posts, read 1,433,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
When you say Asian...do you mean the British equivalent of South Asian or the North American equivalent of East or Southeast Asians?

I was mistaken to be East or Southeast Asian in Germany and Austria that the only rude service I received was from Vienna and one hotel on Munich.

Salzburg was nicer in my experience....but I have heard stories of black or dark brown individuals being mistreated in parts of Germany and Austria (Not me).
I am from Indian subcontinent. During my time in UK I heard the term Paki on the streets on too many occasions that I was glad I left the UK. I would not mind visiting it but would never settle in it.

Salzburg was a tad better than Vienna but that might be because their economy depends on tourism. But even then they did not help that with some attitude. I am not expecting false friendliness like that some claim is typical in USA, but courteous behavior by hotel staff is at least a given here.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:21 PM

5,206 posts, read 3,405,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
Dubai is not a country.
many people think it is, guess the UAE is not popular in contrast. Abu Dabi and Sharjah especially aren't as interesting.

Back to the topic:

want to visit:

Paris, France (already have - but again)
Some places in the US (probably california or las vegas)
the Buddhist Tiger Temple in east asia
Kenya (for the lions )

want to live in:

Israel, Japan and probably Hungary <- In all three countries mostly for their "culture" (aka the girls).

Old 01-14-2015, 01:25 AM

11,609 posts, read 11,542,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
Dubai is not a country.
I know, it's a city in UAE (as with Abu Dhabi). I made a mistake.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:35 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,884,305 times
Love to visit, not to live: Cuba.

Cuba is great for a week or so, but I would have zero interest in living there full time.

A place I love to visit and would love to live in would be Manhattan. I can't say anywhere in America, but I would definitely move to Manhattan in a heartbeat if I could afford it. We can all dream, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World