U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 10:22 AM

5,706 posts, read 8,733,222 times

Advertisements

Who are the world's worst tourists? The answer might surprise you. In fact, it might be you. A survey conducted by Living Social and Mandala Research released Friday indicated that Americans are the world's worst tourist. And don't blame someone else for the name calling: 4,000 out of 5,600 respondents were Americans themselves.

Read more: Survey Finds Americans are World's Worst Tourists (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpps/news/survey-finds-americans-are-worlds-worst-tourists-dpgoh-20120305-fc_18365032#ixzz1oMGXfGlt - broken link)

Profile of an American tourist:

1.) New white sneakers

2.) Goofy looking hat

3.) Cotton Candy

4.) Camera around neck

5.) Plaid knee length shorts

6.) Budweiser T-shirt

7.) Loud & obnoxious

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 10:29 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,060,117 times
My guess is #7 is the real #1 reason. Could likely add "cold to others culture standards" as well, though that fits in with 7.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:40 AM

607 posts, read 1,140,246 times
Well, only Americans, Canadians and Australians voted that Americans are the worst tourists. I agree, some of us can be loud and obnoxious but I think we're overall pleasant.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:45 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,808,448 times
We do like to put ourselves down, it is very fashionable right now.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:57 AM

13,509 posts, read 16,191,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Who are the world's worst tourists? The answer might surprise you. In fact, it might be you. A survey conducted by Living Social and Mandala Research released Friday indicated that Americans are the world's worst tourist. And don't blame someone else for the name calling: 4,000 out of 5,600 respondents were Americans themselves.

Read more: Survey Finds Americans are World's Worst Tourists (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpps/news/survey-finds-americans-are-worlds-worst-tourists-dpgoh-20120305-fc_18365032#ixzz1oMGXfGlt - broken link)

Profile of an American tourist:

1.) New white sneakers
2.) Goofy looking hat
3.) Cotton Candy
4.) Camera around neck
5.) Plaid knee length shorts
6.) Budweiser T-shirt

7.) Loud & obnoxious
I am an American who has lived in Europe for about twelve years, and I have encountered many American tourists, both in the country where I reside and in travelling to other countries.

I don't think I agree with the survey results. First of all, regarding 1-6, looking a bit ridiculous by local standards does not make you a bad tourist.

Second, age make a difference. My town is flooded in the summer with Americans aged 18-22. They are loud (and often raucously drunk in the evening), they are show-offish and a small number are aggressively (defensively, I would say) pushy about being Americans.

They would probably be cordially disliked by the townspeople, if it were not that we have many more Brit visitors in the same age group. Far too many of them are puking drunk in the street at any hour of the day, thuggish, extremely foul-mouthed and prone to fist-fighting and vandalism.
Thus, the American young people are seen as virtual angels in comparison...and they are.

Staying in Lisbon I encounter quite a few Americans at the hotel where I always stay - it is popular with foreigners as it is the best hotel in lower part of the city, with great access to various sights, and transportation.

The Americans I see there run the gamut from late twenties (non-students) to retirees. (Perhaps it is significant that they are all independent travelers, not groups on organized tours.) I think they are very well-behaved. If I have a criticism, it is simply that Americans on the whole speak very loudly, and I am embarrassed sometimes when they seem to think that no one understands English and they have loud unflattering comments or conversations about our people in public. This is really quite stupid in a world where someone always understands the English language, and in Europe where many people do.

My pet peeve on this score is Texans. They are the loudest of Americans, and they think nothing of carrying on a shouting conversation with other Texans they have discovered several tables away, as if they were alone in the dining room.

Nevertheless, again the palm for Ugly Tourist must go to British adult tourists...of which I see many, many. A rather large minority behave like the bumptious Texans, except that alcoholism seems to be a national disease with them and their behavior deteriorates to disgusting levels. I avoid places that attract a British clientele now.

Canadians, whom I see in much smaller numbers than Americans or British, are the best behaved - rather like much quieter Americans.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:57 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,870,382 times
Sticky Fingers
Four in ten U.S. travelers (39%) admit to having stolen something from a hotel during a visit. The most common items pilfered were:
  • towels (28%)
  • bathrobes (8%)
  • batteries (5%)
  • pillows (4%)
  • remote controls (3%)
  • sheets (3%)
  • bibles (3%)
  • umbrellas (3%).

Steal a bible? . And what about remote controls and sheets? People are weird.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:21 PM

5,683 posts, read 12,408,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Steal a bible? .
I'd be willing to make a bet that those who place bibles in hotel rooms, do not mind at all if you take the one they left with them ...

If they do, I wonder ...

Old 03-06-2012, 12:53 PM

42,661 posts, read 80,266,451 times
A completely stupid and useless survey conducted using the worst possible methodology.

The survey was done by an online company that "inspires our members to find, share, and enjoy the best of their neighborhoods by connecting them with handpicked local businesses."

The LivingSocial Vacation survey was conducted online in February 2012 among 4,000 Americans in the top 20 media markets (DMAs) and 1,600 additional respondents in Australia, Canada, Ireland, and the United Kingdom.

And then it was interpreted and presented to us in a link from a local Fox News station, to further diminish its objective value.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:56 PM

4,834 posts, read 9,441,897 times
I disagree with this (and I'm not American). I think alot of this result comes from Americans being fairly unfamiliar with people from other countries and their habits, both negative and positive, and from the habit of Americans to be critical of Americans. In truth though, I find Americans middle of the road as tourists. The worst I've ever seen are 1) Italians 2) Brits. I consistently see tourists from Italy acting like absolute boors when they're on vacation, inconsiderate and sometimes abusive, from vacation spots in European capitals to beach resorts in Mexico. Brits are less likely to act straight up inconsiderate as just go to a country, get unreasonably hammered, and make no effort to appreciate the country's uniqueness. This obviously isn't every Italian or British tourist, but it works as a general rule. The average American travels with more of an open mind to experiencing foreign lands, and hopes to respect local customs, but in Europe especially often fails to because of how different America is. More cultural misundertandings than deliberate rudeness, IMHO.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:05 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,357,051 times
A lot of this goes down to consider the demographics.

Americans are not gonna book an expensive ticket from America to Europe to get trashed. If they want to do that, they're gonna book it for Cancun or Cabo or some American destination. But you can bet your ass some teenage group of Brits or Germans booking some cheap spots on the Spanish coast only care about getting ****ed up before they ship their hungover asses back. So comparing British tourists in Spain to American tourists is a stupid comparison as is comparing American tourists to Brits in Mexico.

And I know both Brits and Americans get a bad press. Especially the Brits in Europe and especially the Americans in Mexico. TBH, I haven't seen how either are different than Aussie or German teens. Hell, anyone, any nationality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World