Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 12:24 PM

573 posts, read 2,059,267 times

Advertisements

Instead of saying Hispanic can the person say he is European (Spaniard) and American Indian (Pipil or Lenca). The person was born in El Salvador where 90% of the people are mixed, Spaniard and Indian. Can I say I have Indian blood in me? If I am 50% Indian why don't people from El Salvador teach their children of the Indian practices and beliefs and instead are mostly influenced by Spain. I don't speak the Spanish language because that's the language of Spain, it's not the language where the land (before Spain invaded) spoke. I refuse to speak someone else's language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 12:25 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Just say what you want!

Old 03-11-2012, 02:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Are you asking what "a person" can say, or are you asking what "you" can say? Why would the people of El Salvador teach their children according to YOUR ethnicity?

If you can't (or refuse to) say it in Spanish, it probably won't matter to anybody what you say.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:31 PM

10,105 posts, read 14,972,719 times
There are some major contradictions here.

If 90% of Salvadorans are mixed (Spanish/Native), then it goes without saying that the vast majority of Salvadorans have Spanish blood in them.

So now I ask my first question:

Why would the Spanish language not be the language of Salvadorans? It definitely doesn't makes sense. Spanish is the language of Salvadorans, first because its the official language and second because most Salvadorans have Spanish ancestry.

Also, land is not alive and doesn't have a mouth, so I am baffled how on earth can it 'speak' anything.

My other question is:

Why does the OP speaks English then? If you really don't want to speak a language that doesn't belong to you, and you are in fact 100% Salvadoran, then English definitely is that language. Spanish and any Indigenous language from the El Salvador area is much more your language then English should ever be, since you probably don't have English blood in you.

As for the cultural influence, it probably has to do with what people there consider progress. For example, I'm sure most Salvadorans live in cement homes in very much the Spanish style. Why don't they want to live in Indian style homes? Maybe because most people there don't want to live in huts? Could be. I know most people around the world consider huts highly not suitable for human habitation, that's why people that do live in huts are considered to be extremely poor and should be helped so they can live in a more 'dignified' home.

I'm sure there are plenty of Indian influences in Salvadoran food, in the name of places, in the music, in the arts, etc; that you haven't even noticed.

Last edited by AntonioR; 03-11-2012 at 04:41 PM..

Old 03-11-2012, 05:20 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Just say what you want!
It's an American/Canadian thing I'm afraid, twisting yourself into knots when it comes to race and ethnicity

Old 03-11-2012, 05:22 PM

690 posts, read 1,202,401 times
Why not just say your're 'el salavadoran' Im sure most (white) English people are a mix of early 'Britons' and later germanic 'invaders' (ie angles, saxons). I dont call myself mixed Briton and German, i call myself English.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:25 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonAreaWeatherSummary View Post
Why not just say your're 'el salavadoran' Im sure most (white) English people are a mix of early 'Britons' and later germanic 'invaders' (ie angles, saxons). I dont call myself mixed Briton and German, i call myself English.
I'm mixed as well with Amerindian, German, Castilian, Galician, and thanks to 700 years of occupation, Moorish blood in me (also rumored to have semi-recent Middle Eastern ancestry) but I just call myself Puerto Rican or American (depending on who I'm talking to). I don't bother going into detail

Old 03-11-2012, 06:16 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
Instead of saying Hispanic can the person say he is European (Spaniard) and American Indian (Pipil or Lenca). The person was born in El Salvador where 90% of the people are mixed, Spaniard and Indian. Can I say I have Indian blood in me? If I am 50% Indian why don't people from El Salvador teach their children of the Indian practices and beliefs and instead are mostly influenced by Spain. I don't speak the Spanish language because that's the language of Spain, it's not the language where the land (before Spain invaded) spoke. I refuse to speak someone else's language.
Hispanic is the U.S. umbrella term that covers all the european, indigenous, mestizo and all that is south of it's border throughout the Americas.

But, yeah, you can also embrace your own identity among that as well.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:24 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,332 times
not all white hispanics are spaniard. i have no spanish blood in me. lotsa europeans immigrated to latin america.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:40 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It's an American/Canadian thing I'm afraid, twisting yourself into knots when it comes to race and ethnicity
If their one thing I have learned from CD its this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World