U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 04:13 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,455,494 times

Advertisements

By now most of the world's population lives in cities, and of course that means we might not see animals in the wild (other than domestic ones or pets) as much as our ancestors did.

But in many world cities or around cities in urban/suburban areas, especially if they are near some sites that are still wild, such as woodlots or patches of bush, there are still many wild or native animals that can be seen.

I am curious as to the wildlife that exists in/around cities people live in around the world.

For me, the ones I see in my city include small mammals like squirrels (probably the most common) -- the eastern grey squirrel and red squirrel. There are some other rodents that are a big bigger like groundhog. There are skunks and raccoons. Though some of these animals I see dead on roadside, and the skunks I smell more often than see...lol. For bigger ones, red fox and coyote are around and white-tailed deer (pretty much the most common North American large animal overall) are also seen in a few of the wooded areas and walking trails around the city. I think I've seen a mink a couple of times too. It's also possible to see autumn salmon run in at least a few places not too far outside the city.

When it comes to birds there's obviously quite a few (though also a few that you'd see pretty much in any city, like pigeons, crows or sparrows) in many urban places that even have just a bit of greenery (in fact, I was looking at a bird-watching guide once specifically featuring what birds you can see in cities around the world, from Buenos Aires to New Delhi).

Wildlife is pretty diverse around the world, even near urban places. What are some of the ones that exist in yours?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 04:29 PM

5,599 posts, read 9,445,173 times
We get a lot of grey squirrels in the parks (and in my garden too). You tend not to actually see them as they hide away in places like under railway bridges during the day but London has quite a lot of foxes - a couple of times early in the morning I've seen a rubbish bag that was put out for collection the night before and then been ripped open by a hungry fox. Richmond Park (the largest urban park in Europe, so I've been told) is known for its wild deer, but I've never personally seen any there. I've heard it said as well that wherever you are in London you're never more than about 3 metres from a rat, but I've never seen one, though I did once see a couple of mice scurrying across an Underground station platform late at night. There's been a lot of good work done in converting former derelict former industrial sites into green parks in the past few decades to encourage biodiversity, but I can't say as I notice a lot of urban wildlife going about everyday life.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:24 PM

189 posts, read 599,246 times
Squirrel
Racoon
Deer
Hawk
And other bird species I am not familiar with
Insects

Old 03-13-2012, 05:43 PM

22,256 posts, read 26,798,073 times
Foxes come in my garden a lot, as well as hedgehogs and squirrels. A neighbour of mine has a crane bird that visits hist pond too that can be seen flying over my house.

There are also deer within the city limits.

Of course the biggest example of urban wildlife all over the world is pigeons, which are not scared of people at all, even if you go right up to them.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:45 PM

4,282 posts, read 6,290,131 times
In the high density residential area (or at least by Australian Standards) where i live you see a lot of Scrub Turkey's, possums and a whole variety of other birds. Possums are cute but an absolute pain a** when they decide to call your roof home.

I hardly ever see any cane toads in inner Brisbane, which might surprise a lot of the aussies hear i think.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 03-13-2012 at 07:20 PM..

Old 03-14-2012, 03:36 AM

23,883 posts, read 68,547,241 times
Once in a while we get visits from a moose or two.
Or three.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:46 AM

24,682 posts, read 50,947,956 times
A lot of Australia fauna are small so there are plenty of opportunities to see them in bushland in the suburbs here. The ones I've personally seen:

Kangaroos - Common in the forest reserves, national parks, golf courses, basically any open land that hasn't been too disturbed. I remember a 'kangaroo crossing' sign on the freeway years ago. Obviously things have changed a lot since then, because I remember when the area was surrounded by houses but the sign remained.

Wallabies - Same as kangaroos, but less commonly seen around people. They tend to be more shy.

Native mice/rats: Water rats are sometimes seen on the banks/swimming in rivers.

Possums - probably the most common animal to see in the inner city. You see them in Kings Park or even older suburbs with a lot of trees. Also a lot in bushland, parks and many suburbs throughout Perth.

Echidnas - Are common in some of the outer suburbs and in large areas of bushland like Bold Park or Kings Park. I've seen them but not in the Perth area.

Southern Brown Bandicoot or Quenda - They are often found near lakes, and in any large area of bush throughout the metro area. Even in the grounds of the hospital and university campus near us. They're pretty easy to see during dawn and dusk and at night.

Bats - Are sometimes seen at night either in flight or roosting in trees.

Snakes - Actually the only snakes I've seen in Perth itself have been dead ones. I was with people who said they saw snakes, once while jogging around a nearby lake, but I didn't see them that time. I've seen them outside Perth though.

Lizards - I've seen a bobtails or blue-tongue lizards several times. Sometimes on the road right in the middle of suburbia. Once in a strip of bushland just next to a shopping centre, right in the middle of the suburbs. It's common to see skinks, legless lizards and geckos in your garden.

Turtles - Common in lakes, swamps, billabongs, rivers and streams throughout Perth and surrounds. I saw one just the other day at my local forest reserve.

Amphibians - Frogs are pretty common throughout...on a clear summer's night I can hear frog calls from the nearby swamp/forest reserve, almost a kilometre away. On some nights their sound can be defeaning.

Birds, insects.etc are of course common.

In the Swan river one can sometimes see dolphins and sharks, as it is estuarine for a distance.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:11 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,793,517 times
I spent many, many years in central Denver, Colorado, and in the early morning would regularly see foxes and coyotes while walking my dog. One coyote used to keep pace with us (I think she was just curious, I walked a very large dog.)
Also, the occasional deer that followed the creek down from the foothills.

These days I live in a small seaside town on the southeast coast. I'm five minutes from the state park and see dolphins (my husband has seen manatees and whales but I haven't), sea turtles, sharks, stingrays, deer, snakes, gators and bobcats there, but don't have to leave my neighborhood to see bald eagles, osprey, egrets large and small, gopher tortoises, and various other reptiles.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:38 AM

37,797 posts, read 38,064,995 times
I know in New Jersey sometimes people see black bears in small towns.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:57 AM

4,837 posts, read 9,502,901 times
Bald Eagles and Herons frequent the coastal parts of our city and are often seen. We also get racoons, possums, rats, and squirrels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World