Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 05:50 PM

344 posts, read 1,051,271 times

Advertisements

And which have the worst?

In general I'm talking about countries with a low cost of living, or at least average. so not japan, UK, Australia, etc. more along the lines of argentina, thailand, romania, etc.

Those are the 3 big regions I'm thinking of too... SE Asia, Latin America, and Eastern Europe.

I've heard some countries just have miserable bureaucratic procedures/laws/visas etc. that make you want to jump off a cliff if you try to work there and live there. And I assume others aren't as bad.

I've heard EU countries make it tough for non-EU people to work, even to teach english. so that might be an issue for me as an American. just curious overall though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 09:52 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Usually people find a country/culture/place that they like, and than try to find a way to live there.

Generally, I've found that most countries have ways for foreigners to start, usually businesses.

If you are just looking to move abroad and work at Starbucks, for example, you'll have a problem, as you'll just be taking jobs from locals. Plus, even if you were to work as a cashier at a department store in Bangkok, for example, you're looking at wages that significantly lower than you'll probably be able to live on.

I'm gonna guess you aren't MBA/Corporate World, otherwise you'd be looking at more expensive countries as well. Maybe a bit of clarification of what you want or hope to do, as there are way too many variables to answer this in a very general way.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:03 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,022 times
Ronnie555, what is your field of employment/expertise/education/experience?

This makes a difference.

For example, if you are an oil field geologist, it doesn't matter much what the immigrant work laws are, as there would be little work for you in Thailand.

Need more information.
(besides your question being too vague from the start)

Old 03-14-2012, 12:27 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
In general I'm talking about countries with a low cost of living, or at least average. so not japan, UK, Australia, etc. more along the lines of argentina, thailand, romania, etc.
As a rule of thumb those countries with a low cost of living also have rather low salaries and vice-versa so I wouldn't use that as a k.o.-criterion.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:31 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
As a rule of thumb those countries with a low cost of living also have rather low salaries and vice-versa so I wouldn't use that as a k.o.-criterion.
True...and the kinds of people who are $$-conscious or $$-poor, and seek out low cost of living places, often find that they can get stuck there.

If an American moves to Thailand and earns $500/month teaching English...it's going to take a lot longer for him/her to save up money to get that airline ticket back home.

As opposed to an American who moves to South Korea and makes $2,500/month.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:53 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
I think it is easier for Americans that want to teach English to find jobs in Southeast Asia, but the pay will be low compared to what one earns in the USA. The same probably goes for South America.
As for Eastern Europe most of those countries have joined the EU. So it is difficult for Americans to get work permits/visas to live there comfortably in general.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:37 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Most countries can smell you coming. They know you are a refugee from a Health-Care Mafia, and that you are looking for a place with affordable health care. They are not interested in giving you asylum unless you can offer them something pretty substantial in return.

A lot of countries are now charging a hundred bucks to Americans, just for a single-entry visa, because that's the ransom that the American border pirates are exacting from their citizens wanting to visit America.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:11 PM

Thanks for the responses. I actually have a bachelors in Finance. Recent grad, sort of.

Trying not to get stuck in an office job for 40 years though, I'd rather start a company or do something adventurous.

you guys made some great points though. it seems smart to pick a place to live, then figure out how to make it practical. not vice versa.

Also if i went to a place too cheap, it certainly does reduce the ability that I have to return to the US. living in vietnam on 600 bucks a month is great until I decide to come home.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:19 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,296 times
You also will want to consider language barriers. If you can not speak the official language of a company it could be hard to find work, unlike the U.S. So if you are not fluent in a 2nd language you might need to look at the U.K. or Austrailia. If you like in the U.K. it would be easy to take weekend trips to places you want to visit in Eastern Europe.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
You also will want to consider language barriers. If you can not speak the official language of a company it could be hard to find work, unlike the U.S. So if you are not fluent in a 2nd language you might need to look at the U.K. or Austrailia. If you like in the U.K. it would be easy to take weekend trips to places you want to visit in Eastern Europe.
good point.

I like the idea of Latin America cause it is close to the US, and cause a majority of the region speaks Spanish. So I definitely want to learn Spanish and travel around down there. It seems like a great language to learn cause the area interests me. If I learn Italian or Russian or Thai, it definitely limits where I can go. With spanish I could go to Mexico, Argentina, Ecuador, etc. I know they all speak it slightly differently, and Spain is a lot different. but in general it's still quite versatile as far as a language to travel with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World