Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Slavic city?
Moscow 5 12.20%
St. Petersburg 5 12.20%
Warsaw 2 4.88%
Prague 17 41.46%
Bratislava 2 4.88%
Belgrade 3 7.32%
Kiev 1 2.44%
Other 6 14.63%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 01:00 AM

282 posts, read 962,518 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering which are the most interesting Slavic cities to visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 01:55 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,879 times
I voted other - Poznań, Poland!

Poznan I love You more - YouTube

Film promocyjny Miasta Poznania HD - YouTube

Noc Kupa

Old 11-25-2011, 02:23 AM

337 posts, read 929,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
I voted other - Poznań, Poland!
Poznan is nice: very underrated, but it's one of the oldest and most historic Polish cities. Also I think quite prosperous nowadays. In a similar vein I would mention Wroclaw and Gdansk, two historically German/Polish cities full of fine architecture and a generally pleasing urban ambience.

But my Top 3 would consist of Prague and Krakow, with Kiev and St. Petersburg battling it out for the 3rd slot. I live in Moscow and generally like it, and it has the advantages of a big cultural center; but on the other hand, huge cities of this type don't appeal to me that much.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:48 AM

355 posts, read 977,189 times
I miss places on your list like Plovdiv, Bulgaria, (UNESCO world heritage site) or Ljubljana or Zagreb. Your list seems to consist only of capital cities (and one capital village which is nothing special - guess which one :-P )

My top-5 would be:
1) Kraków
2) Praha
3) Plovdiv
4) Wrocław
5) Ljubljana or Bratislava (toss-up between the two)

Old 11-25-2011, 04:23 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proterra View Post
I miss places on your list like Plovdiv, Bulgaria, (UNESCO world heritage site) or Ljubljana or Zagreb. Your list seems to consist only of capital cities (and one capital village which is nothing special - guess which one :-P )

My top-5 would be:
1) Kraków
2) Praha
3) Plovdiv
4) Wrocław
5) Ljubljana or Bratislava (toss-up between the two)
Great list. I love Plovdiv and I'm surprised that people don't mention it more often.

I would include St. Petersburg as well, though.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:28 AM

425 posts, read 653,317 times
Definitely Ljubljana, and is Maribor big enough to count?

Old 11-25-2011, 05:20 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,873 times
Glad someone mentioned Krakow. That's definitely on my list.
One less-known (or at least less-mentioned) city is L'viv, Ukraine. It is a gorgeous city, quite a bit like Krakow in some ways, but gets little pub. Look it up...it's gorgeous.
I like Odessa and Kyiv, too.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:11 AM

355 posts, read 977,189 times
True, Lwów is also great, I just didn't think of it straight away as it's usually a cheap weekend party destination for students from Kraków...

But it does have a special sort of charm... A bit Polish, but with all the Ukrainian surprises which make it unpredictable and interesting... Add to that cigarettes for PLN 2 and bottles of wódka for 8 PLN make it a very enjoyable weekend getaway... :-)

Old 11-25-2011, 11:42 AM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Here is my quick question; what exactly "Slavic" about central European cities mentioned above? I mean Central Europe has been under German influence for so long, that I'm trying to figure out how exactly those cities look distinctively different as "Slavic?"
I mean even St. Pet leaves me questioning this matter, since it has been built by Italian architect (Francesco Bartolomeo Rastrelli) and its prototype was favorite city of Peter the Great - Amsterdam. Granted, Rastrelli came up with "Russian Barocco" when he was designing St. Pet's buildings, but still, how "Slavic" St. Petersburg really looks?
Moscow ( and Kiev I suppose) - yes, they have architecture that's very distinctive in that sense, but the rest of mentioned above cities?

Old 11-25-2011, 12:25 PM

337 posts, read 929,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Here is my quick question; what exactly "Slavic" about central European cities mentioned above?
Well now I'm confused...I assume they're Slavic in the sense that they're located in Slavic countries and have Slavic populations. (nowadays, anyway)

Yes, the history and architecture are a mishmash - much of the historic buildings in some of these places were built by Italians, Germans and others; and some of these places had large non-Slavic populations once upon a time - but I assume we're talking about the present...aren't we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World