U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 08:57 PM

7,652 posts, read 17,124,448 times

Advertisements

In the U.S., one of the fastest-growing segments of the "street pharmaceuticals" (illegal drugs) industry is otherwise legal (with a prescription) drugs sold by those who do not really need them or stolen from those who do and re-sold to or consumed by addicts, who enjoy the euphoric high or other effects that they give. There is an entire internet community, who often speaks quite openly, devoted to experimentation with prescription drugs. Also in this category are those who have licit prescriptions from doctors but nevertheless consume all their drugs at once to get high and go to emergency rooms complaining of pain to try to obtain a prescription for more.

This is very common among white youth from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds.

The main prescription drugs that are abused are painkillers (analgesics), although some people experiment or get high from a number of other categories of drugs, including hypnotics.

An Oxycontin or Methadone addict can be just as bad as a cocaine or heroin junky. They steal and pawn or sell goods from other people to support their habit, and overdoses can be lethal (or require valuable ambulance resources).

Does this happen in your city or country?

I asked a Mexican family in Tabasco if it does and they said they had never heard about it (despite the until recently lax laws regarding prescriptions), but recreational drug use seems to be less popular in Mexico, perhaps due to the majority not being able to afford it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 09:46 PM

16,258 posts, read 40,422,566 times
Whenever I hear anything like that, it just sounds like American things.

I've never seen it, or heard of it in Japan or Korea. But drugs aren't that interesting or common to people in this part of the world.

In the U.S., whenever I meet Americans who come to live in Japan/Korea, a large portion of them can't seem to stop talking about finding bud or whatever else. Seems like drugs, of all kinds, are inherently entrenched into American culture.

I also think partly the cities and towns are designed to be spread out and car-oriented, and consumer culture creates great demand on going out and buying things, bringing it home and consuming.

Due to the car culture, drinking and driving is what happens when most people want to socialize. Etc.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:13 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,602,410 times
Yes.

And it's also bad when it's an abuse of the Canadian healthcare system here, as some of the drugs are (or were) part of those under coverage. When I read OxyContin, I knew the issue sounded familiar/close to home since I'd been hearing in the news and on the radio about the painkiller addiction.

Apparently, I just googled it and OxyContin is being taken off the Canadian (or Ontario?) market, taken off the drug benefit plan, and as well replaced with another version that can't be crushed.

The situation is quite bad in Ontario, notable enough that I was hearing about it quite often in the past year.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 PM

22,256 posts, read 27,561,307 times
I've rarely hear about this problem here.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:00 PM

8,390 posts, read 10,983,475 times
Yes, the North America leads that wagon. Pain centers on every corner, housewives favorite addiction. In Korea I never heard about it, in America on almost every block someone is on pain meds. Very sad. Now alcohol is a different story. lol

Old 03-21-2012, 08:46 AM

8,024 posts, read 11,206,825 times
In Scotland a lot of people are hooked on Diazepam (Valium) or as they are known here "blues"

Diazepam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wiki - "Adverse effects of diazepam include anterograde amnesia (especially at higher doses) and sedation as well as paradoxical effects such as excitement, rage or worsening of seizures in epileptics. Benzodiazepines also can cause or worsen depression. Long-term effects of benzodiazepines such as diazepam include tolerance, benzodiazepine dependence as well as a benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome upon dose reduction; additionally after cessation of benzodiazepines cognitive deficits may persist for at least 6 months and may not fully return to normal, however it was suggested that longer than 6 months may be needed for recovery from some deficits. Diazepam also has physical dependence potential and can cause serious problems of physical dependence with long term use"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World