Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:27 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times

Advertisements

Frankfurt is Germany's financial capital, I think it has the edge over Hamburg, which is one of Europe's richest cities though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 05:48 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
I think these cities are quite comparable in the role they play within their country but also how they are viewed internationally. All cities play second or third fiddle to each of their countries largest/most popular city.
I too will indulge in a little nit-picking with you regarding Milan.

In terms of population density, Naples is Italy's biggest city, followed closely by Milan.

Rome, though the most populous by sheer numbers, is much further behind and somewhere in the middle of the pack by population density, behind such cities as Florence, Bologna, Genova, even Bari among Italy's top ten most populous cities.
Apparently, then, Rome's official city boundaries are set very wide compared to other major Italian cities, making it the largest in terms of population.

To be sure, Rome is the political capital and probably also the most popular Italian city internationally (though competition from Florence and Venice).

However, Milan, for a brief period even the capital of the Roman Empire, is by far Italy's economic and financial capital and with international standing, by far outshadowing Rome in that respect, as well as the capital of one of Europe's, even the world's, most wealthy regions per capita on certain measures. Also worth adding, until very recently, a Lombard-based businessman dominated Italy's politics for around 18 years, and the current PM is rector of Italy's premier business school, located in Milan.

Finally, it is also worth noting that the cost of living is slightly higher in Milan than Rome: Milan in that respect is more on par with London and Paris, for example, while Rome is more on par with New York and San Francisco, for example.

In short, it is hazardous to assume that Milan plays second fiddle in Italy, certainly not third.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:35 PM

207 posts, read 707,507 times
Which city do you like the most?
Milan; Italian culture (and men, lol) captivates me. I'm also a mild high fashion lover. Milan has also a very nice location in Italy.

Which city do you like the least?
-None

Which one has your favorite architecture?
-Chicago; Spectacular and impressive architecture. From Sears/Willis Tower to the Chicago Tribune Tower. Everyday, I still get infatuated by Chicago's skyline. I personally think Chicago has the best skyline in North America. Yes, better than NYC.

Which city do you think is the prettiest?
-Prettiest? What a choice of word! Anyway, I choose Milan. Lots of pretty, pretty boys lol.

Which one would you live in?
-I've already lived in Chicago. I would want to try living in Milan.

Which one would you like to visit the most?
-Barcelona; Or Spain in general. I've been wanting to join the La Tomatina festival since high school.

Which one do you think is the most underrated?
-Chicago is verrrryyyyyy underrated.

Which one do you think does not deserve to be on this list and why?
-I think Munich or Hamburg would be a better replacement for Frankfurt.

Which one do you think has the best weather?
-Chicago; I love the 4 Seasons.

Which one do you think is the most diverse?
-Chicago; Latinos, Blacks, Asians, Europeans all in the city. Chicago has ethnic neighborhoods too like the Chinatown in Cermak, Vietnamese in Argyle, Irish in Beverly, etc

Which one has the most distinct culture?
-Barcelona has the most striking culture out of them all.

Other notes:
-I wish you've included Marseilles or Lyon for France and Vancouver or Montreal for Canada.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:17 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Chicago

Frankfurt

Chicago

Chicago

Melbourne

Chicago

Melbourne

Which one do you think does not deserve to be on this list?
Frankfurt

Melbourne

Chicago

Barcelona

Old 03-23-2012, 03:08 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
I would have put Los Angeles in that category instead of Chicago. Anyhow, out of those cities, I've only been to Chicago and Milan, but I plan to visit Barcelona soon. I would love to visit Melbourne someday.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:49 AM

771 posts, read 1,396,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I would have put Los Angeles in that category instead of Chicago. Anyhow, out of those cities, I've only been to Chicago and Milan, but I plan to visit Barcelona soon. I would love to visit Melbourne someday.
I didn't put LA because I feel LA doesn't get overshadowed. On an international scale Rome always overshadows Milan, even though Milan is the financial capital of the country. In Australia Sydney overshadows Melbourne a lot.

I think I tried to select cities that are well known but overshadowed by other cities in the country. Although Barcelona might be the exception. I also feel that Chicago, Melbourne, Barcelona, Frankfurt and Milan can be overshadowed. I also feel they are all very international cities and very global but in amore subdued way than their counterpart cities.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkSam View Post
Milan; Italian culture (and men, lol) captivates me. I'm also a mild high fashion lover. Milan has also a very nice location in Italy.

-None

-Chicago; Spectacular and impressive architecture. From Sears/Willis Tower to the Chicago Tribune Tower. Everyday, I still get infatuated by Chicago's skyline. I personally think Chicago has the best skyline in North America. Yes, better than NYC.

-Prettiest? What a choice of word! Anyway, I choose Milan. Lots of pretty, pretty boys lol.

-I've already lived in Chicago. I would want to try living in Milan.

-Barcelona; Or Spain in general. I've been wanting to join the La Tomatina festival since high school.

-Chicago is verrrryyyyyy underrated.

Which one do you think does not deserve to be on this list and why?
-I think Munich or Hamburg would be a better replacement for Frankfurt.

-Chicago; I love the 4 Seasons.

-Chicago; Latinos, Blacks, Asians, Europeans all in the city. Chicago has ethnic neighborhoods too like the Chinatown in Cermak, Vietnamese in Argyle, Irish in Beverly, etc

-Barcelona has the most striking culture out of them all.

Other notes:
-I wish you've included Marseilles or Lyon for France and Vancouver or Montreal for Canada.

Milan is finally getting some appreciation and respect. There has been some dislike and insults towards Milan lately.

I am glad to see different preferences for places and cities such as people preferring Chicago over NYC for one example.

Chicago does win this for diversity. However, Melbourne and Frankfurt have a surprisingly high amount of diversity and are not far away from Chicago’s level of diversity.

I also pick Chicago for best weather. I also love 4 seasons weather. Milan is good for this too.

There is a new thread just now that includes Marseille/Lyon in France, and Hamburg/Munich in Germany.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:42 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Milan is my second favourite out of the bunch, Frankfurt is my favourite.

Chicago has my favourite weather too, I picked Frankfurt for some reason but then remembered Chicago has much colder winters.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:44 PM

207 posts, read 707,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Milan is finally getting some appreciation and respect. There has been some dislike and insults towards Milan lately.

I am glad to see different preferences for places and cities such as people preferring Chicago over NYC for one example.

Chicago does win this for diversity. However, Melbourne and Frankfurt have a surprisingly high amount of diversity and are not far away from Chicago’s level of diversity.

I also pick Chicago for best weather. I also love 4 seasons weather. Milan is good for this too.

There is a new thread just now that includes Marseille/Lyon in France, and Hamburg/Munich in Germany.
Eh, I'm also wondering about the hates towards Milan. Sure it's not as grandiose as Florence or Genoa, but it's captivating in it's own way. A blend of modern & classic which I like in a city.

Chicago. I live here for over 3 years now. I first came to US and lived in NYC. Chicago is not as overwhelming as NYC which is fantastic. You won't get drowned by people and taxis. The Chi downtown is way cleaner and so is their trains.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:11 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkSam View Post
Eh, I'm also wondering about the hates towards Milan. Sure it's not as grandiose as Florence or Genoa, but it's captivating in it's own way. A blend of modern & classic which I like in a city.

Chicago. I live here for over 3 years now. I first came to US and lived in NYC. Chicago is not as overwhelming as NYC which is fantastic. You won't get drowned by people and taxis. The Chi downtown is way cleaner and so is their trains.
I agree with what you said about Milan and being captivating in its own way, and being a blend of modern and classic.

Those are some reasons why I was surprised by some of the recent negative opinions about Milan.

I do wonder though how much of Milan is similar to Piazza del Duomo and Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II. Either way, that makes Milan automatically seem cool enough.

While I like New York City, it definitely can feel overwhelming sometimes and other things like that. Also, NYC is overrated in a noticeable amount of ways.

In the USA, I lived in Seattle and enjoyed it a lot. NYC and Seattle are some of my favorite places in the USA. Also true for Chicago being one of my favorite places. I enjoy the idea of living in Chicago.

Chicago, Portland, and San Francisco are the next places I would love to live in the USA. Going international for living also appeals to me a lot as there are plenty of awesome international options.

Other than a cleaner downtown and cleaner trains, Chicago also has much more affordable renting/real estate options than NYC, a nice beach right next to downtown, being more laid back, being much more underrated, and trains that go above ground in downtown.

Last edited by ; 03-23-2012 at 11:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World