Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 06:43 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times

Advertisements

If I go somewhere, I probably won't have too much money to travel far within the country. I want to fly into a main city where I can make base and maybe do some day trips to nearby places. I was looking at hotels in Ho Chi Minh and it looked like there were a lot in the $15/night range. Is that pretty decent or are they going to be infested with bed bugs .. etc etc?

Diving sounds like it would be awesome.. but would it be ok for a person who has no experience diving? Don't you typically need classes for something like that?

I'm not much of a beach traveler, I don't go on the beach even when I'm in a beach city.. but I do like being around the coast, I feel like it adds a lot to it.

Also, do they eat snake in Vietnam?

Isn't there a pretty big problem with kidnappings and from in the Philippines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 06:54 PM

207 posts, read 707,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
If I go somewhere, I probably won't have too much money to travel far within the country. I want to fly into a main city where I can make base and maybe do some day trips to nearby places. I was looking at hotels in Ho Chi Minh and it looked like there were a lot in the $15/night range. Is that pretty decent or are they going to be infested with bed bugs .. etc etc?

Diving sounds like it would be awesome.. but would it be ok for a person who has no experience diving? Don't you typically need classes for something like that?

I'm not much of a beach traveler, I don't go on the beach even when I'm in a beach city.. but I do like being around the coast, I feel like it adds a lot to it.

Also, do they eat snake in Vietnam?

Isn't there a pretty big problem with kidnappings and from in the Philippines?
You just have to create a solid iterinary, and manage your time well. Alot of backpackers are traveling multiple countries in the SEA region.

We only had something like a guide line in diving. They will tell you the safety guidelines, what to do, etc. You will dive with a professional. It's not like you'll be diving thousands of feet below sea. If you want, you can just choose to do snorkling.

The kidnapings are mostly in the Southern most region where Muslim population is dominant.
Most of the great beaches are in the central part of the country; Cebu, Boracay, Palawan, Bohol.

SEA region is very diverse. You can spend less time or skip beaches, and just visit colonial towns, big cities, mountains, rainforest and experience their culture.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:09 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Argentina?

Old 03-24-2012, 09:53 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Until a year ago, I'd have said Syria, but it has, for the time being, lost much of its tranquility.

Myanmar. Lovely, intelligent people, beautiful country, I've never heard a bad word about it from anyone who has ever been there. Apparently, no longer necessary to change $25 per day at official rate. No ATMs, cash only, and it has to be very crisp clean US bills. When you run out of cash, you have to fly to Bangkok to get some more. You have to fly in and out, absolutely no land borders open. At last report, you could just overstay your 28 day visa for $3 a day, and after 90 days the fine is $5 a day, which is still only $1,800 a year. Reports vary on whether you can couch-surf there without putting your hosts at risk.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-24-2012 at 10:22 PM..

Old 03-24-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Until a year ago, I'd have said Syria, but it has, for the time being, lost much of its tranquility.

Myanmar. Lovely, intelligent people, beautiful country, I've never heard a bad word about it from anyone who has ever been there. Apparently, no longer necessary to change $25 per day at official rate. No ATMs, cash only, and it has to be very crisp clean US bills. When you run out of cash, you have to fly to Bangkok to get some more. You have to fly in and out, absolutely no land borders open. At last report, you could just overstay your 28 day visa for $3 a day, and after 90 days the fine is $5 a day, which is still only $1,800 a year. Reports vary on whether you can couch-surf there without putting your hosts at risk.

It looks very cool, but that seems to be a lot of effort for something that I'm looking to be less work on a trip. I'm trying to do this on a budget so flying in/out seems like it could put an end to a small budget very fast.

What is it that makes this place more special than say... Vietnam?

It doesn't seem like many people speak English, and there seems to be some civil unrest at the moment?

Syria would have been cool too, but yeah... I'm just looking for a trip with as little hassles as possible.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:16 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Suggestion is go to bangkok and google Bangkok airways air passes.
Use bkk as a base to fly to Siem reap Cambodia to see Angkor wat, then on to luang prabang, Laos a gem of a laid back city that's also cheap. Then do Chang Mai and treat yourself to a hotel room at the Novotel which when I went was still under 40 bucks, inc breakfast...

Can't compare Myanmar to Vietnam and there is heaps of online info on attractions..

Old 03-25-2012, 08:35 AM

344 posts, read 1,052,191 times
Quote:
SE Asia sounds quite promising. I had planned on taking a long trip this summer to Europe, but I'm going to be moving to a new city and my finances aren't going to allow a really long trip in Europe so I'm looking to get a ~1.5-2 week getaway in SE Asia or somewhere that my money can go as far as possible.

Vietnam sounds really cool, what is a good city to fly in to? Ho Chi Minh doesn't look like it will really have any beaches, but is that the best destination if I don't want to be in a place where I can't communicate with anybody?

Also.. about the history with Vietnam... how do the people take to Americans. I am not sure how comfortable I feel about going there, is it something to see or could there be problems in that respect?
People are fine with Americans in Vietnam now. Just be respectful.

The younger generation will love you, and most of the older folks realize that the war was something of the past, and have moved on for the most part.

Fly into Saigon (they don't call it Ho Chi Minh.. it's okay if you do though). It's like a 5 hour busride from the beaches, so I don't see a problem there. And plenty of people in Saigon speak English.

Southern Vietnam is better than the North. Nicer/friendlier people, better places to go overall. You land in Saigon and you're literally a 8 dollar, 5 hour bus ride from AMAZING beaches.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
People are fine with Americans in Vietnam now. Just be respectful.

The younger generation will love you, and most of the older folks realize that the war was something of the past, and have moved on for the most part.

Fly into Saigon (they don't call it Ho Chi Minh.. it's okay if you do though). It's like a 5 hour busride from the beaches, so I don't see a problem there. And plenty of people in Saigon speak English.

Southern Vietnam is better than the North. Nicer/friendlier people, better places to go overall. You land in Saigon and you're literally a 8 dollar, 5 hour bus ride from AMAZING beaches.

Awesome, Saigon sounds really cool. What can I expect to pay in terms for hotels per night? What is the cheapest you think I could get for a nightly pay that would still be comfortable (no bugs/not disgusting)?

Is Vietnam a pretty good place to travel alone? No problems going out to a bar alone ? Also, how is the crime there.. is it pretty low/ not too much worries or higher and really have to watch your back?

Also, what is the poverty like there? Does it have a feel like India or is it not quite as bad as that?

Old 03-25-2012, 03:46 PM

344 posts, read 1,052,191 times
Quote:
Awesome, Saigon sounds really cool. What can I expect to pay in terms for hotels per night? What is the cheapest you think I could get for a nightly pay that would still be comfortable (no bugs/not disgusting)?

Is Vietnam a pretty good place to travel alone? No problems going out to a bar alone ? Also, how is the crime there.. is it pretty low/ not too much worries or higher and really have to watch your back?

Also, what is the poverty like there? Does it have a feel like India or is it not quite as bad as that?
Crime will not be an issue, other than petty theft. Use common sense at all times. Do not leave luggage/bag unattended EVER. Lock your hotel room when you go out. Etc. Common sense is all that is required. Violent crime will not occur. Even when walking alone at night. Obviously there's an exception to every rule, but it's like a .0001% chance. You'd be more at risk in Chicago or Los Angeles.

Saigon is a big city, so you'll pay a premium for hotels. In other cities, I was able to find nice hotel rooms for 8-10 bucks. In Saigon, I'd say $16 is the going rate at a guesthouse. This will include a hot shower, cable TV, fridge, AC, etc.

tons of people travel alone. It's a great place to do it. No issues going alone to restaurants, bars. You'll meet a lot of travelers if you're just friendly and stay outside your hotel room. The only issue is if you're a single male and you go to some bars, girls will assume you're looking for a prostitute, so they'll bother you A TON.

I saw more girls traveling alone than guys, but I saw a lot of solo travelers when I went. Lots of backpackers from europe, etc.

It's a 3rd world country, so there's poverty. But it's not that bad. People drive brand new Mercedes in Saigon lol. So there are definitely rich folks. Restaurants and hotels have air conditioning, hotels have cable TV, etc. so it's really not that bad, considering how cheap everything is.

Honestly though, you can't stay in Saigon that long. go take bus trips and tours all over the place. You can walk all around Saigon in 1-2 days. Plus the pollution will start to get at you. So after 1-2 days, you'll probably want to go to some of the beaches, go inland to cambodia, etc. I wouldn't plan on staying in Saigon for a whole week or anything, unless you just plan on going out to bars every single night and partying 24/7. Even if that is the case, there are better places to do that in Vietnam, such as Nha Trang.

edit: if you decide to go, shoot me a private mesage. I was just there in November so I can definitely give you some tips of where to go and where to skip. there are some places that are great to go if you're traveling solo, and others that I'd recommend skipping.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:09 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Suggestion is go to bangkok and google Bangkok airways air passes.
Use bkk as a base to fly to Siem reap Cambodia to see Angkor wat, then on to luang prabang, Laos a gem of a laid back city that's also cheap. Then do Chang Mai and treat yourself to a hotel room at the Novotel which when I went was still under 40 bucks, inc breakfast...

Can't compare Myanmar to Vietnam and there is heaps of online info on attractions..
best post. Cheap and for me, there was a lot to do. I loved Chaing Mai and Chaing Rai, both, plus Siem Reap. Never went down south to the beaches. I guess that is another trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World