Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:56 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulhall View Post
Good point and countries like China and India are increasingly becoming the same as manufacturing and industrialisation takes hold. Many Chinese people work extremely long hours in factories and see more of their work collegues than their family.
In China it is quite common for one of the spouses in a marriage to live and work in another province and be away from home a lot.

I would add Israel to the medium category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 08:58 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,014,843 times
What about all the Asian working labourers (many from India etc.) that go to somewhere like Dubai to do their lengthy and hard jobs, leaving their family behind and being rarely able to see their family? That's another example.

In the modern era, things that like will become only more, not less common.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:01 AM

29 posts, read 61,837 times
Russia ranks the medium And I agree that.Sure,here in big cities like St.Petesburg and Moscow and Novasibirsk the rate is lower but the rest of the country still values family.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:33 PM

207 posts, read 707,378 times
I think you've underestimated the family values of Japan.
There's so many young adults still living with their parents. And it's not only just because of financial reasons. If you've seen families outside or even in Tokyo suburbs, you'll see them.

Also unlike US or UK, nursing homes are not quite as popular in Japan. The Japanese have so much respect to their elders.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:38 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,014,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
By modern I mean fairly modern, as most people live a 'non-traditional life' (i.e. village farming.etc.). Even if the country is mostly rural, city folk tend to also be very family orientated.
That's the thing though -- a lot of the countries that are seen as family oriented are only so because they live in places with such little mobility (eg. live in the same town or village most of their lives) or in lifestyles that they have had to rely on family more. In some places, family connections can land you a job etc. It's those places where who you know matters etc. and who your family (or class or clan, or tribe or caste) is matters.

Perhaps some of them don't even choose to be family oriented (maybe they hate their extended family or their town or something, but don't nearly have the mobility that a first worlder like you and I have to do something about it or they have limited options that seem more appealing than continuing to work on the family farm or family business).

Sometimes people underestimate "circumstance" as opposed to willful choice of "culture" in determining things.

A good "thought experiment" is if every "family oriented" culture that is a developing/rural one had the same living standards/mobility and access to city jobs in a diverse number of fields and locations etc. that western nations do, would they still choose to do the whole extended family thing? Perhaps then can we say that they are family-oriented out of choice rather than circumstance.

After all, for most of human history, people had no choice but to be with family groups as part of "the tribe" or whatever group they stuck with for a long part of life.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:02 PM

614 posts, read 3,211,325 times
East Asian countries.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:04 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,893,856 times
I'm not sure why the Op included living with the extended family as criteria. How are we supposed to evaluate different cultures when most of us are casual observers. I've interacted with people of different cultures some seem quite family oriented but dysfunctional by western standards with different values in some cases what some of these cultures value I consider undesirable it varies and relies heavily on the criteria used to judge.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:59 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,207,641 times
I was talking to a Ukrainian friend about retirement there. She said separate living for seniors is very rare, but nowadays, when several generations live together, they grow to resent each other. So a statistical fact may not reflect accurately a spiritual acceptance.

Ukraine might be the world's highest contrast between modern cultural values and low GDP.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:17 PM

61,680 posts, read 87,077,794 times
So, modern cultural values is NOT to live together with other family members?
What about family that owns a big, multilevel house where each generation lives practically separate, but rely on each other as needed?
Like grandparents taking care of grandkids while their parents work? Or taking care of the elderly instead of dumping them in nursing homes?
It ties the family together, teach family values and saves money... No?
There are many modern societies that practice that model and no one is frowned upon.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:03 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,207,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
So, modern cultural values is NOT to live together with other family members?
What about family that owns a big, multilevel house where each generation lives practically separate, but rely on each other as needed?
Like grandparents taking care of grandkids while their parents work? Or taking care of the elderly instead of dumping them in nursing homes?
It ties the family together, teach family values and saves money... No?
There are many modern societies that practice that model and no one is frowned upon.
Modern cultural value is a complex of many elements, only a small part of which is living arrangements. And not many family homes in Ukraine fit your description, which is why I contrasted the cultural value with its affordability in the current economy. I''m only passing on the view of a Ukrainian friend, not my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World