Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:49 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,914,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Wave Carpetbagger View Post
Malaysia sounds good, but isn't it a Muslim country? I think he would either have to learn another language, hang out with mostly other English speaking ex-pats, or relocate to a rural southern US town with a depressed economy. It's pretty cheap around where I live and I actually know a guy who is Jewish and from New York who has managed to survive. He would have to drive about an hour to get to a city where he could go to a synagogue, though. There are no jobs around here, but if he works online it's irrelevant. He could buy a single-wide on an acre of land for about 20K or rent for probably about $300 a month.
Malaysia is officially a secular state, despite pushes by some to make it an Islamic state. About 60% of Malaysians - mostly ethnic Malays - are Muslim. It's a modern country, developed in the cities...the economy was booming in the 90s and although I don't know where it's at right now the place seems to be growing and prospering fairly well. Many expats work in Malaysia, it has quite a large ex-pat community, English is at least known at a basic level by most young people and a lot of older people. It's generally safe, with decent public transportation by Asian standards but not the standard of Singapore, Hong Kong or Japan. One can have life live you're in a 'first world' country for a fraction of the cost of living in Singapore or Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 10:34 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,764,762 times
According to this chart, the lowest index for Cost of Living + Rent is in India, followed by Eastern Europe. (Click tops of columns to select rankings)

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-03-2012 at 06:16 AM..

Old 03-28-2012, 01:41 PM

3,921 posts, read 6,733,349 times
Maybe Trinidad and Tobago? I'm not sure about the cost of living there... It's not a very touristic country, so maybe the cost of living is not high...

And what about Namibia? I think many people there speak English, and Windhoek looks a nice city...

Old 03-28-2012, 04:19 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,764,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Maybe Trinidad and Tobago? I'm not sure about the cost of living there... It's not a very touristic country, so maybe the cost of living is not high...

And what about Namibia? I think many people there speak English, and Windhoek looks a nice city...
T&T has just about the worst crime problem in the Caribbean.

I would suspect that Namibia always has the potential to become another Zimbabwe, with all the necessary ingredients. And Zimbabwe looked once like a nice country, too.

Ghana would definitely be worth considering, It is English-speaking, and by African standards, pretty safe and liveable. The cost of living would be very low as long as you don't demand non-African amenities, like beef and Scotch and an automobile.

Gambia probably cheaper still, with lots of British tourists coming down to be drinking buddies with.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-28-2012 at 04:28 PM..

Old 03-29-2012, 01:00 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,576,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EstateNewbie View Post
I was there years ago on a cruise, the part we went to was in complete shambles. If i remember correctly they said they only had one school bus for the kids and the richest people in that area only had a washer (not a dryer).

I searched some homes and they were pretty expensive, most of the homes/condos were going in the highs 70K+ and those were not in the nicest conditions.

I might be looking in the wrong part, could you assist me a little in what part you are referring to?
If you are looking to live on a certain budget, but require reliable internet access Belize is not the place for you. Belize Telemedia has nearly a monopoly, and internet is extremely expensive. $850 per month Belize ($425 US) for a 4mb connection, $500 per month Belize for 2mb, etc.

While there are nice areas in Belize (nice being relative, I think they are nice but someone else may not), it would be expensive to live as you want to.

Belize Telemedia Limited

Some areas have mobile internet through DigiCell cellular. That may be a cheaper option, but probably less reliable.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:13 PM

3,921 posts, read 6,733,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

I would suspect that Namibia always has the potential to become another Zimbabwe, with all the necessary ingredients. And Zimbabwe looked once like a nice country, too.

I think it's very unlikely that Namibia will follow the same path of Zimbabwe...

Old 04-01-2012, 04:51 PM

987 posts, read 1,383,317 times
My wife and I are both Filipino/Americans! When I retired from my government job, we moved back to our roots in the Philippines! We've been here since 1998 and still enjoying our retirement! We call it home!

Here's the area where we live: https://www.google.com/search?q=Pase...w=1399&bih=794

Old 04-01-2012, 05:05 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,077,286 times
Quote:
Hello everybody,

I am not saying I am going to do this but it crossed my mind and thought I would do some research; I am hoping you guys could help me in this area. I am eighteen, not going to college, and looking to move out of America to a place where I can keep my small budget but live a life of luxury.

I would like to spend as little as possible while being able to have a modern (and clean) apartment, car, and what not. If you guys could tell me cities or places that fit my criteria and average budgets for a two bedroom apartment, car/fuel, shopping, eating, entertainment, ect. I was thinking the cheaper the better and once i know how much each place cost i will sort of form my budget around there. I was hoping to spending less then 10,000USD a year but i have a feeling that's a little crazy unless i move to Afghanistan.

Requirements:

- Clean city
- Safe
- English
- Decent population (anything over 5,000)
- Average temperature
- Wont kill me that I am a Jewish white male

If you have any question's please ask and thanks in advance!

Edit: I work over the internet/phone
Live like a king with no money and STILL have a car?

The CAR is what eats up all the money in the U.S. to begin with. No matter where you live on planet earth, if you plan to be car-dependent and car-oriented, you're going to be spending a large portion of your income on gas.

In short, if you want to live abroad and not spend any money, you'll have to take on a much more local lifestyle of these 'poor' countries. Poor people in India or Guatamala or whever you might want to go, don't drive around in cars all day, partying it up eating fine foods and being entertained.

They instead work 12-15 hours a day trying to make ends meet, without a car, and without fine dining and without being entertained in the evening. They're usually entertained by their family through cooking basic staples and enjoying each other's company.

If you're trying to live in a California-like lifestyle, with cars, fine dining and being entertained, it's going to cost you near California-like prices wherever you live in this world. The people living like a king in poor countries, are actually rich people living there, not the poor people.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:30 AM

987 posts, read 1,383,317 times
Quote:
Hello everybody,

I am not saying I am going to do this but it crossed my mind and thought I would do some research; I am hoping you guys could help me in this area. I am eighteen, not going to college, and looking to move out of America to a place where I can keep my small budget but live a life of luxury.

I would like to spend as little as possible while being able to have a modern (and clean) apartment, car, and what not. If you guys could tell me cities or places that fit my criteria and average budgets for a two bedroom apartment, car/fuel, shopping, eating, entertainment, ect. I was thinking the cheaper the better and once i know how much each place cost i will sort of form my budget around there. I was hoping to spending less then 10,000USD a year but i have a feeling that's a little crazy unless i move to Afghanistan.

Requirements:

- Clean city
- Safe
- English
- Decent population (anything over 5,000)
- Average temperature
- Wont kill me that I am a Jewish white male

If you have any question's please ask and thanks in advance!

Edit: I work over the internet/phone
I live in the Philippines for it's low cost of living!
To make my story short and to make my point, here is my one liner!
$10,000 is just our "grocery expenses" for a year!

Old 04-03-2012, 12:25 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times
I would open another bar ialong the promanade in Vung Tau, Vietnam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World